Portsmouth 5 C's IPA | Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
portsmouthbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

Added by joepais on 09-04-2008

2.94/5  rDev -28.5%

C: Hazy
H: Dark Golden Yellow (Copper?)
N: HMM Soap? Citrus, and Hints of Caramel

Well quite often beers bring me back to times in my life that I remember. While searching for that beer that is the “best”, you often come across beers that remind you of particular scents, flavors, or just flat out memories of something from the past. I often share my memories here for your reading pleasure. That said, this beer’s taste remind me of something that is quite personal.
I often travel home to see my parents and sister on the other coast of Florida. More times then not during the drive I need to swing off and take a bathroom break. This beer brings me back to all of those memories. WAIT…..noooo, not what you are thinking! You didn’t let me finish.
This beer tastes and smells just like the Turnpike Bathroom Hand Soap. Yep, Pink Liquid Soap! I could not get past the taste or the odor on this, and immediately began laughing to myself. While I typically enjoy having these beers again that jog such vibrant memories, I think I will have to pass on the 5 C’s. I really don’t enjoy thinking about rest stop bathrooms. Sorry Portsmouth!

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Served in a pint glass. The body is a hazy copper/orange color. The head is frothy and thick and leaves nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A subdued blend of pine/floral/citrus/grassy hops.

T: A little too spicy, but the rest of the flavor is really nice. There is some definite pine and citrus aspects to the taste. I am assuming they use an English ale yeast, because the malt flavors aren't in your face, but they definitely don't run and hide like in a west coast styled IPA.

M: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer, because my friend brought some back after winning 6 Kate the Great scratch tickets. The beer has a decent amount of hops in the nose but not in your face like I prefer. Mouthfeel was nice and taste had some a strong malt backbone. This beer reminded more of an English style ipa, but that could be because I have an affinity towards west coast/aggressively hopped ipas. Not a bad beer but not great either.
cheers

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

3.69/5  rDev -10.2%

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Joepais for this bottle.
Poured from 22oz bottle into a Silly Scotch tulip.
Poured a glass for me and a glass for a buddy. first glass was poured down the side of the glass then the middle trying for head, got almost none. The second glass was poured striaght down the midle from a hieght of 8" this left a one finger head that lasts and leaves moderate lacing.
Smells are light and hoppy.
Taste is hoppy with a light malt character. Has a good hop bite to it.
Has a light mouthfeel.
I would try this one again.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a bottle of this while at the brewery. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear orange/gold with a nice two finger white head that slowly fades to leave nice side lacing.

S - Shockingly average here. Getting some light bitter hops and somehow even lighter malt aromas.

T - Much better than the nose. Some light malts and the standard Portsmouth bread qualities. There are nice hop qualities, predominantly cascade with a good bitter finish.

M - Really nice mouthfeel here. Slightly creamy, slightly crisp, all around refreshing. Very sessionable.

O - This is a nice american ipa from portsmouth. Would like to try this a bit fresher, as I'm sure that explains the lack of a good nose.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap at the Portsmouth Brewery. Served in a pint glass. From notes.

A - Golden amber body. Two finger off white head that laces all the way down.

S - Grapefruit, pine, and some light bready caramel malt.

T - Great citrus flavors with some piney hop notes. Bready and sweet with a nice bitter finish. Mouth feel is slick and coating.

O - A really solid IPA. I wasn't amazed by it, but its a very easy drinking and flavorful IPA. I really dig the name and concept of the "C" ingredients.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

On cask at the brewpub on November 6, 2010.

Poured a nice copper color with a really strong bone-white head and quite a bit of lacing as the brew went down the side of the pint glass. The nose brought, of course, a good dose of American C-hops. I picked out some mild orange and citrus rind plus a light touch of pine.

The taste was a bit more restrained and there was some moderate citrus flavor going on, though not quite as much as with the nose. The dry-hopping likely hit the nose a lot harder, at least from what I can tell. Nice strongly-bitter mouthfeel. A really nice beer and particularly enjoyable on cask.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Had two of these on tap at the Portsmouth Brewery.
Hazy orange color, with a decent head that dissipates quickly. Initially, the smell up front was kind of strange... not overly unpleasant, but something I'd not experienced with an IPA before. Beyond that, nice citrus and grassy scents.
Really awesome tasting beer, with fruity hoppiness, not a whole lot of malt. I think I prefer the Bottle Rocket, as I recall it was a little crisper, but having said that this is still an excellent IPA. Going to go back and try it again, I think the initial scent kind of threw me off but certainly did not scare me off. As with nearly all the selections at the Portsmouth Brewery, it's a beer worth stopping in for.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

22 oz bottle, shared by 321Jeff

First beer I've tried from Portsmouth. Pours a cloudy amber orange color with no visible sediment. Large off white head, that fades to a thin bubbly film and ring with minimal lacing. Aroma is fairly mild and restrained, primarily focused on the hops (piney and citrus) with a slight malt backbone. Not overly complex or strong, but pleasant. This is a very nicely balanced, citrus resiny IPA. Didn't blow me away, but was very enjoyable, crisp with pleasant bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

I bought this beer to go from the Portsmouth Brewery when I went up there Sunday to purchase scratch tickets for the Kate the Great contest. I bought three of the 22 oz bottles upon the recommendation of a friend.

The beer poured a golden color with little white head. The aroma was of malt and some citrusy hops-ful of flavor. This wasn't one of my favorite beers from the Portsmouth Brewery, but definitely a decent beer in my book. I won six winning Kate the Great scratch tickets so picking up the bottles of this beer was just a bonus :)

Cheers!