Benchwarmer Porter | Cooperstown Brewing Company

Style: English Porter

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 09-24-2001

13%

1.7/5  rDev -54.9%

When I first opened the bottle, it foamed for longer than 1 minute - and kept foaming after every sip after that. Bottle I had was way too over-carbonated and harsh on the throat. Not a pleasant drink or feel at all. Maybe it was just a bad batch, but I won't be buying anymore.

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

2.3/5  rDev -39%

I have to disagree with everyone here.
My experience with this porter was:

A: decent almost black with an incredibly active head of 3 fingers that melted slowly but left no lacing.

S: Faintly roasted, burn malts with a bit of chocolate

T: Very dark roasted malts with some very bitter chocolate and maybe a touch of espresso...unfortunately they all get lost with the intense (read: VERY) carbonation.

M: All tiny carbonation bubbles that foam in the mouth rather than merely tingle and sparkle....carbonation covers everything else.

D: Not again unless I have need to expend major gass.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz bottle. This pours a ruby hued brown color with a 3 finger light tan head over top that falls to a full coat over top. Clarity is very good and there is little to no carbonation. The aroma is lightly caramel sweet and moderately nutty, but over-run with diacetyl butteryness that borders on offensive to me. I recall that they use ringwood years here, so this is not a big surprise. The flavor is a little better. There is a solid roasted character that moves to a more mild sweet caramel and finishes with a mild earthy hop and bitter. This is much better than the aroma. Mouthfeel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. I am really not able to move past the aroma on this one. It just rubs me wrong to have that much diacetly. It is nice that the roast malt helps to cover this in the flavor, but it doesn't save this one for me.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

Appears a dark brown color with quite the head. The head appears tans, sticks around for a while and also laces the glass with a nice ring of foam. The taste is one of coffee and chocolate roasted coffee and burt chocolate. The mouthfeel has a bite to it. This beer has more carbonation than I would expect form a porter. It is average. ThatÂ’s all I can say.

3.04/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brown color with about one finger of khaki head. Recedes to a thin lace and then disappears completely and doesn't leave a trace - looks like flat soda.

Smell is some caramel and toasted malt, bit of chocolate too. Earthy sort of aroma, as well.

Taste starts off with some quick chocolate sweetness before giving way to an earthy, dirty sort of unpleasant flavor. Not sure what it is but I'm not caring for it. It's bitter and roasted malt flavored but in a bad way. Mouthfeel is pretty crisply carbonated with a medium body.

I do not care for this at all. One of the worst porters (probably the worst actually) I've had. I won't revisit.

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Real thick head and almost black body and some nice retention.
Mabey dark fruit and some nuts in the smell.The taste is smokey and quite pleasent with some nut taste.The lacing looks nice on my glass.This isnt as cloying as some porters ive had and they got me sick.I think I taste chocolate in there,its very tasty.This almost reminds me of a stout.I like how it goes down smooth and isnt gagging and very pleasnt on the carbonation.I could drink a couple of these.My taste for stouts is growing as it is for porters.Thanks to my boss for this beer.

Sean

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured thin dark brown with a 1/2 inch light tan head. Rings of lace left behind after each sip. Smells of toffee, caramel, and toasted malt. The taste was watered down bitter coffee with hints of toasted malt. The beer was thin but crisp and refreshing. Too bitter for my liking. I have definitely had better. Dont go out of your way to find this one but give it a try if you come across it.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours deep ruby highlighted brown, with a small tan head that rushes away leaving just a ring of foam. Aroma is toffee, a good bit of butterscotch, and some roastedness. Flavor is dominated with the butterscotch, with some bitter roasted flavors bringing up the rear. Medium in body, easy to drink but not that impressive.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer poured a medium sized tan head that contained fine-small sized bubbles that was mostly lasting. It had an opaque body with no carbonation and a reddish-brown hue. The nose consisited of malt, coffee and some hops. The flavor was sweet, somewhat bitter, chocolate, and coffee that left a lingering aftertaste. It had a creamy, smooth and dry mouthfeel and it was medium bodied. This beer left a good lacing on the sides of my glass. This beer reminded me more of a stout than a porter and it had a little too much of a coffee flavor for my tastes.

Benchwarmer Porter from Cooperstown Brewing Company