Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Benchwarmer Porter | Cooperstown Brewing Company

Style: English Porter

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 09-24-2001

4.1

3.12/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured thin dark brown with a 1/2 inch light tan head. Rings of lace left behind after each sip. Smells of toffee, caramel, and toasted malt. The taste was watered down bitter coffee with hints of toasted malt. The beer was thin but crisp and refreshing. Too bitter for my liking. I have definitely had better. Dont go out of your way to find this one but give it a try if you come across it.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Poured a dark brown with amber highlights. The tan head was thick and frothy. The head stayed large for a few minutes.

S- The smelled like a coffe house! It kind of reminded me of flavored coffee creamer and had a hint of chocolate. There was a ncie creaminess to the nose but there was an light metallic aroma also.

T- The strong coffe flavor is very pleasant. Usually the beers i coem across with coffee flavors only contain a hint, or an artifical flavor. This is rich and flavorful roasted bean flavor! There is a hint of caramel and chocolate but the coffeehouse and malt dominates. The brew shares a dryness that a strong coffee contains.The bitterness is mild.

M/D- The body is medium to full with a nice fizziness from the carbonation. This is a very interesting brew. The slight metal flavor is a turnoff.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to joeybeerbelly for this extra in a recent trade...

Dark brown pour with a huge head and excellent lacing...

Smells like cocoa puffs mixed with molasses... Dark and sweet

Very drinkable porter... Dark but not overly so...went great with a honey ham tonight..

Thanks again to Joe for the chance to try this...

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

a- pours into the glass with little head. the head that is present is a light tan color. The beer is a deep brown color with hints of crimson when held up to a light.

s - the maltyness really comes through. I caught some hints of smokiness.

t - the roasted malt packs a punch with the first sip. bitterness kicks in and sticks around for a while. at first the bitterness was unpleasent but after the second pass is began to enjoy it.

m - great carbonation, not soo much that it feels like fire crackers accross my toungue but enough to let you know it's a beer.

d - overall a great porter. It makes me a little angry to know that I went to college 20 miles from here and never visted the brewery. this is a definite staple in my fridge.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

12oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - deep brown color with a tan head that thinned to a layer, leaving some good spots of sticky lacing.

S - sweet molasses aroma with hints of cocoa in the background.

T - sweet and malty upfront, with a bitter coffee taste on the finish.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - easy to have a few of these, very drinkable.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Rageagainst123 for the trade!

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a couple fingers worth of head. Foam disappears to leave a layer of head that sticks around for a while. There is a decent amount of lacing as you go as well.

Smell: Coffee and a malty aroma are dominant here. Not much else, but what is there is decent.

Taste: A roasted coffee taste up front, which is joined by a malt taste toward the end. The sip is followed by a slightly unpleasant bitterness that lingers in the mouth for too long.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I would have liked. The bitter aftertaste tskes away from this aspect as well.

Drinkability: The bitter flavors are too dominant here. If they were toned down and the roasted coffee was given the spotlight, this beer would improve quite a bit. If you enjoy this beer, though, this is a beer that you could drink plenty of given the smoothness and low ABV.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a dark brown with basically no head. Nose is like roasted qualities. Flavor is roasted and just an old coffee bean kinda flavor profile. Feel is standard. Just feels a touch light. Lots of carbonation. Overall this is an odd porter. I can't really put it up against others I have had as far as similarities go. The body seems lighter for a porter. Overall though it is pretty drinkable. I would just never go back to it.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Went to the brewery as part of a Cooperstown Beverage Trail run with some family. On the way out, picked up a mixed 12-pack of all of Cooperstown's offerings.

Served in a nonic, as with all my brews. Poured out coffee brown with a half inch of light tan foam. The aroma was everything you'd expect from a porter, roasted coffee. The taste was sweeter than I was expecting, leaving only a light bitter aftertaste. It went down smooth, with a light fizz. All in all, I was surprised. After so much diacetyl in all of their lighter beers, I wasn't expecting such a good porter.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

The look is glassy dark brown, almost purple in the darkest spot. Large cardboard brown head. Some light comes through at the edges. Big milky swath of film/lace.

Smell is coffee with just a bit of mustiness. Some sweet, dark caramel. Hint of bitter dark chocolate. Malt is only lightly roasted. Nice dry, bitter character to the aroma.

The taste is a bitter coffee blast to start off. Second flavor is sweeter, though the bitter aftertaste remains. It's a really nice balance. Roasted and also smoky.

The feel is extremely dry, with a bitter afterbite and film. A tad milky even. Hefty, and not at all watery. This is a smooth-sipping beer. A nice, sturdy porter. Really really enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer poured a dark brown with reddish purplish highlights and a two-finger tan head. The smell is a is a little malty with subtle coffee hints. The taste is very distinctive of a porter, with some coffee and chocolate hints and large amount of roasted maltiness. This is a very drinkable porter, and a nice one to reach for if you're looking for something a little less intense that's still a porter.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Dark black, non-transparent, one finger thick lacy head that lowered to a thin cover, a little sediment floating throughout

S- Dark chocolate, creamy, vanilla, dark malts

T- Caramel, dark chocolate, vanilla, creamy, roasted coffee beans, malts, a bit bitter

M- Medium body, medium/heavy carbonation, smooth but slightly fizzy

D- Decent session beer

This beer has great flavors but is slightly too carbonated. It almost gets a little fizzy near the end.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

This beauty poured a nice dark brown, almost black, with a frothy tan head, leaving lots of lacing. Smell is quite nice, roasted malts and coffee aromas in there. These are very apparent in the flavor as well, coffee and roasted malts, going down nice and thick. Very tasty, really smooth, easy to drink. This is a really good example of what a porter should be like, I really like this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Benchwarmer has a very dark appearance, more so than most of the other porters I've tried, and there have been numerous. The most distinguishable feature I notice is the pungent coffee flavor. Not overpowering but very prevalent. It makes this beer unique and the reason its constantly in my collection. It does seem to be very foamy, but still not in a bad way. It adds to its character. It has a bit of a bitter start, but has very sweet undertones and finishes so. This is a great beer for a fall day. I will definitely be partaking in more.

2.74/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz bottle. This pours a ruby hued brown color with a 3 finger light tan head over top that falls to a full coat over top. Clarity is very good and there is little to no carbonation. The aroma is lightly caramel sweet and moderately nutty, but over-run with diacetyl butteryness that borders on offensive to me. I recall that they use ringwood years here, so this is not a big surprise. The flavor is a little better. There is a solid roasted character that moves to a more mild sweet caramel and finishes with a mild earthy hop and bitter. This is much better than the aroma. Mouthfeel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. I am really not able to move past the aroma on this one. It just rubs me wrong to have that much diacetly. It is nice that the roast malt helps to cover this in the flavor, but it doesn't save this one for me.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a nice dark brown colour that approaches black. Head is of the thick creamy tan variety with a fair amount of retention time and stickiness to it.

The aroma is a mix of rugged malt, some chocolate, a bit of nut and a touch of coffee.

Flavour is more of the same: There's a nice balance here between chocolate sweetness, rugged roasted malt and the harshness of the coffee, although the latter is the least noticeable of the three, mostly toward the finish of each sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and right about where it should be for a porter.

I liked this one. Probably one of the better Cooperstown brews. It's simple and it gets the style right. No complaints here, and one I'd be happy to have again.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

A dark root beer color with a modest and fizzy head but decent lacing. The aroma is a nutty sweet coffee blend that is pretty alluring. The taste brings out charcoal and chocolate but has a strong sour mash background. It is fairly acqueous and very fizzy but drinkable enough. The sour quality gets kind of prominent during the first half but mellows by the second half so it grows on you as it warms and sits a little bit. I liked it and would definitely welcome this at future sittings. Pretty refreshing for a porter, too.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark bronze with orange highlights on the coaster... bloody crimson when backlit. The light brown sugar colored cap is a thing of beauty and tells me that Cooperstown knows how to brew. It's milkshake-like and has all sorts of geographical features that look good immediately after the pour and even better over time. An inherent stickiness leads to quite a bit of glass coverage.

The nose smells like cocoa butter or maybe chocolate-covered butterscotch candies. That's no surprise since the ingredients include chocolate malt and Ringwood yeast. I don't like to see Ringwood used in all styles, and I don't like when it overpowers the rest of the aromas and flavors, but it works out well here.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work out quite as well on the taste buds. This would be better beer (yes, in my opinion) if it was more dark malty, less hoppy and less Ringwood yeasty. It's an interesting take on the English porter style, I'm just not sure it's a classically accurate one.

At least as prominent as chocolate-cocoa is tangy fruit reminiscent of Granny Smith apples and lemon peel. I don't mind a little sourness in my porters, but Benchwarmer puts its toe over the line. A little more malty sweetness is sorely needed. Although the Ringwood butteriness clashes just a bit, I wouldn't remove it entirely.

In spite of how the previous paragraph reads, this is actually pretty good beer that simply needs a few tweaks and a flavor focus. A little viscosity should be a given in a 6.3% porter. That said, the mouthfeel comes in on the lighter end of acceptable. The carbonation is busy without being hectic.

After the pour and the sniff test, I was all set for a full, rich, malty, buttery porter. What I got was something less than that, but I'm not too disappointed. I look forward to seeing what else Cooperstown brings to the plate. Bigger wood, I hope. Thanks BeerTruth.

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried the Benchwarmer Porter at the Cooperstown Brewery (where I recommend taking the tour). I do not usually go out of my way for porters, but I liked this one.
The beer was quite dark, but not as dark as some. Kind of a reddish brown. The smell was very pleasant, a bit nutty and plenty malty. I enjoyed the taste very much. It is not as sweet as some porters, and had a nice earthy aftertastes.
Drinkable, but I would not sit down for a long session just with the Benchwarmer.

3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this brew in a long time, and for some reason I was just in one of those porter moods. Poured into an Old Rasputin mini pint glass a a dark brown, with shreds of light pulling through. A nice white head sat on top with good retention. Sort of musty in the smell, but with a little spin some fruit aromas came through...roasted apples come to mind. Taste had a lot of coffee molasses going on. The overall character of the beer was roasty, with charred smoke. Mouthfeel was probably my favorite part of this brew in that it is pretty well carbonated. It gives the beer a bitter ending, while also giving it a crisp and refreshing personality. I will have no problems polishing off the six pack of this beer. It is nice to see a porter with some character. Most of the examples I have had lately have been a bit on the boring side. Now if only I could find some of their stout.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

At first I wasn't sure whether the gi-normous head on this was a fluke, but I now see it's in accord with all of the other reviewers. Tan & very sticky, I could hear it sizzle as the bubbles burst. It settled down to a manageable size and left inner-tubes of foam on the inside of the glass -- wow! The beer itself is a dark, nearly opaque brown with rosewood highlights.

It had been out of the fridge for a little while before I poured it, so this may have enhanced it, but I got all kinds of aromas out of this, not all of which I could identify -- dark chocolate for sure, burnt coffee, cream, brown sugar, berries, grassy hops. Very nice. The taste was similarly complex; depending on what you focused on, each sip could be different. Very much the English style malts -- I've only tried this and the Slugger, but this is has got to be the most English-style American brewery I know!

A perfect mouthfeel for an English porter -- the roasted malts fill the mouth with a good body and coat everything with sweets, but the relentless fine carbonation and the delicate hop finish keeps it from weighing you down. That said, this is more of a nightcap than a session beer, but I'm going to get a six to have on hand, asap.

By the way, I guess this is my 100th review -- thanks BA for changing the way I taste things and for vastly increasing my understanding of all things brewed! Long live yeast cultures!

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a deep clear brown with a big sturdy tan head. Aroma of dark chocolate and toasted nuts. Taste of crystal malt and chocolate, with a good bit of hop bitterness. This is a sturdy porter, with a lot of flavor. A sipping brew, and probably not what you would want on a hot day.

Solid and warming. A nice porter.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 50 degrees. Picked up in a trade from tempest - thanks!

A - Super-aggressive, tan head exploded into the chalice, taking it's good old time to simmer down to a beige lacing that left its sticky remains along the glass. Deep brown color with a faint hint of red towards the bottom.

S - A little difficult to obtain a good whiff, but picked up some smokey, roasted scents. Not really sure why aroma was masked...maybe a little too aged?

T - All worries of over-cellaring dissipated as a roasted coffee/caramel flowed from the glass. Much more caramel than I was expecting, as it represented the frontrunner to the complex tastes that followed.

It took awhile to absorb all this porter had to offer, as I observed many flavors. At first, it tastes almost stale, but then a mix of dry malt and roasted coffee enhance the flavors. Then a hoppy bitterness breaks into the scene, until it is finally finished off with a creamy chocolate. A warming alcohol sensation lasts for a little while, rounding out the many flavors. At first, I wasn't too sure, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying this beer...it wasn't until I was about halfway through it that I fully appreciated all of the tastes and flavor combinations.

M - Medium, bubbly body with a very creamy finish. Nice warming sensation followed.

D - I'm very glad I hid this one for a few months...I was looking for a good nightcap and it definitely fit. This is one that I wouldn't have appreciated anywhere near as much if I had it last year (or even a few months ago). I'd definitely include this in a style sampling.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

A serviceable porter. Black with tons of foam that was a delight on the palate. Nearly burnt coffee ground tarish aroma, sounds worse than it was. Average taste with significant burnt coffee bitter sediment, perhaps as it approached March expiration.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Real thick head and almost black body and some nice retention.
Mabey dark fruit and some nuts in the smell.The taste is smokey and quite pleasent with some nut taste.The lacing looks nice on my glass.This isnt as cloying as some porters ive had and they got me sick.I think I taste chocolate in there,its very tasty.This almost reminds me of a stout.I like how it goes down smooth and isnt gagging and very pleasnt on the carbonation.I could drink a couple of these.My taste for stouts is growing as it is for porters.Thanks to my boss for this beer.

Sean

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Benchwarmer Porter poured into the glass with unexpectedly good clarity and a smoky brown color with ruby highlights. The head was creamy and dense tan foam. The lace was a thick and sticky coating around the glass.
The smell was somewhat smokey with caramel and faint hints of dark roasted coffee beans. The taste was smokey and roasted with sweet caramel malts playing off of the coffee-like and grassy hop bitterness, nicely balanced.
The body was medium-light with a crisp moderately active carbonation leading to a crisp mouthfeel.
Initially the clarity and lighter than expected body threw me off, but this is a solid example of an English Porter. This could easily be used as a session beer.

Benchwarmer Porter from Cooperstown Brewing Company