Pipe Organ Pale Ale | Church Brew Works

Pipe Organ Pale AlePipe Organ Pale Ale

Church Brew Works
Pennsylvania, United States
churchbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2001

4.64/5  rDev +46.4%

4.5/5  rDev +42%

4.36/5  rDev +37.5%

I absolutely loved this beer. Let me preface this by saying that this is my first cask experience, so if my numbers are skewed by this real ale I sincerely apologize.

Beautiful light honey colored with a foamy head comprised of tiny bubbles. Heavy lacing and a wee bit of cloudiness....beautiful.

Smell is hop forward, a slight crisp malt background, what is expected of an english pale.

A good example of a pale, nice and hoppy, I'm quite impressed.

The mouthfeel and drinkability I will combine into one. This is where a cask shines. This is how I feel all beer should feel. Smoother than shite, I am literally in love with beer all over again. I could drink this pint for pint all day, not that I should....but talk about an excellent session. REAL ALE.

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

12oz bottle purchased as part of a mixed case from Wide-Lo Beverage, Somerset, PA, while on vacation.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" beige head over the clear orangey amber brew. Head fades gradually, with plenty of lasting lace. Aroma is is balanced with a reaosnable hop character presence. Flavor follows the nose, actually more hops bitterness than I usually expect for the style. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinking is nice. Nothing bad to say here. Enjoy.

Drank from the bottle. I really enjoyed this beer. Has a nice hop forward presence, some floral and citrus fruits. Also well balanced with some biscuit and cracker like malt flavors. The smell gives a hint of hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Very drinkable on a hot evening, it would be easy enough to enjoy a couple of these. The alcohol is very well hidden.

3.98/5  rDev +25.6%

A: Dark reddish brown with a tine white head. small amount of lacing.

S: Nutty, Caramel, Malty, English Hop Aroma, Toffee. milk chocolate. Wonderful Aroma.

T: Very Nutty with caramel flavors. yeasty, biscuity, bready, toasty. lots of malt complexity. brown malt? taste chocolate milk for some reason... subtle english hop character towards the end and hop residue on lips.

MF: low/moderate carbonation. Smooth.

D: A very aromatic and flavorful beer. I enjoyed it.

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

Nice bronze color, with long lasting lace. Nose does not jump out at you like so many over-hopped monsters that seem to be popular with recent beer-ohs. Same with taste--just an easy drinking ale.

I live in the area so I may be enjoying fresher examples than those farther away.

I like this one more the more I have (over time, that is.) A sort of steady friend, from the world's most unique brewing facility.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

According to the blackboard, the Pipe Organ was cask-conditioned tonight. I don't know if I just got lucky or what. Anyway...

The beer is an almost perfectly clear, rich amber. The head is dead still, small, white and sticky. Quite spicy in the nose. The beer itself starts spicy/fruity and develops a fairly nice, buttery malt through the middle. Feel is viscous, falling short of unpleasant oiliness. The finish is a nice, dry, floral, spicy hop. I'm picking up some pleasant esters in this beer too. Overall, I really like this spicy, floral, fruity beer.

Edit: Ok, now I've looked at the other reviews. Looks like I'm the odd man out. Please send your unfinished growlers to Texas.

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

A: Clear amber/goldish in color. Head was small with little lacing to be seen.
S: Nice clean fruity hop aroma right up front. There's a bit of a bready malt aroma in the background, but mostly this is a nice hit of hops in the nose.
T: Good hoppy flavor, not overly bitter, just a bit on the citrusy/fruity side. Late malty tastes provide a nice balance and keep this from tasting like an IPA. Good take on the style.
M: Medium dry in character. Medium bodied. Alcohol and CO2 are in good levels. Finish leaves no real aftertaste.
D&N: A nice take on the style. Goes down easily. I'd have another.

3.93/5  rDev +24%

A - Pours a nice dark amber with an inch of head

S - A bit hoppy with a bit of pale malt. Smells pretty good.

T - Not bad. It's a pretty smooth English pale ale and I know since it has sort of a medicinal taste to it in the back but the hops (which are pine in taste) and malt (sort of candy like) play well to make it tolerable. Very nice.

M - Very light yet bitter.

D - Well I couldn't enjoy more than one but it really was pretty nice. I loved how hoppy it was even though it was an English pale ale which are usually more malt based. Nice ale.

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

A- Dark amber with thin white head. good head retention

S- good. malt and mild hops

T- sweet carmel malt. light hop afterbite. good balance.

M- Very Smooth. Light carbonation and light weight.

D- this is a highly drinkable brew. I reccomend it. Doesn't have a APA character...more of a amber/red character.

3.76/5  rDev +18.6%

3.71/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pipe Organ Pale Ale from Church Brew Works