Bush De Noël | Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by Andreji on 12-08-2001

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked up a bottle of Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl's Bush De Noel a few weeks ago for $4.49 at The Lager Mill. Well it looks like this will be my 500th review and to celebrate this milestone I thought I would try something that I normally wouldn't pick up and since Christmas is right around the corner I thought this would be pretty fitting, so lets see how it goes. 2011 vintage. Poured from a short and foiled 250ml brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice and it has a good holiday feel to it. It poured a nice and hazy caramel brown color that took on a nice copper colored hue when held to the light with a half fingers worth of tan head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually faded away. This beer looked nice, the color was pretty good, but the head was just a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts of with tons of malts that have a very high amount of sweetness and impart some slightly grainy, caramel, candied sugar, and a little bit of yeasty spices. After that comes the fruits which show up a lot, the dark fruits show up first with some figs and raisin aromas followed by a pretty big apple aroma towards the end that gives it a hard cider like aroma. I also get an alcohol aroma that lets you know it's there. The aroma was good, it had some nice complexity and it was pretty true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with loads of malts that have a higher amount of sweetness and impart some nice caramel, candied sugar, and dark bread flavor. After that comes the fruits, there's some dark fruit flavors with grapes showing up the most followed by a nice apple cider like flavor, the combination makes for a flavor that's a little similar to wine. After that comes some slightly spicy Belgian yeast, a little bit of oak, some pretty warming alcohol towards the end. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness, just some of that warming alcohol and some sweetness with a sweet, grape and cider like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was pretty true to style and the flavor had some good complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the thicker side being medium bodied with a slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation. I really liked the mouthfeel on this beer, it was pretty good and I liked that it wasn't that thickit would have made it even stickier.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for in a good Belgian Strong Dark Ale with some nice complexity to go with it. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol wasn't overwhelming, and the flavors held my attention nicely, I think one would be enough for me, I know it's a pretty small bottle, but this beer is pretty potent and it's pretty damn sweet, so one would be all I would want. What I liked the most about this beer was it's complexity, it was the highlight of this beer and the mouthfeel was pretty damn good also. What I liked the least about this beer was expensive it is, if it was a little cheaper I would buy it more often. I recommend giving it a try if your in the mood for a big beer. I would buy this beer again, but probably only one bottle to have for the holidays, it's a little pricey, but it makes for a good and strong beer to celebrate the holidays with. All in all i was happy with this beer, it was good, but it didn't blow my mind. This is my first time having anything from this brewery and it made for a good first impression and I would be willing to try more of their beers. This made for a good beer to celebrate my 500th review with, it's been a fun two and a half years and I don't see an end in site, Cheers to BA and good beer.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Nice brown-bronze color. Decent head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Hints of fig. Not a lot of real descernible smells to me.

T - Very smooth. Classic Belgian taste. At first, i thought there's no way this is a 12% abv beer. But toward the end, you could tell it had a lot more bite. Upon drinking my second one, the alcohol became much more noticeable. but still a very well-bsalanced beer.

M - A tad light for the %, but not watery.

O - Enjoyable. Very easy drinking. I wrote at first that it was quite easy to down too many. but after two, not really a problem. I will enjoy this again. Good beer.

A-a cloudy amber with a fingers worth of white head that sticks to the glass and leaves some nice lacing around the top

S-sticky malt, caramel, lots of fruity sweetness, apples, figs, raisins, and Belgian yeast.

T-Definitely tasting the alcohol in this one. Caramel malt, raisins, light spices, and an oaky finish

M-medium to full body and spicy carbonation

Overall a real sipper due to the high ABV, but the alcohol doesn't mask the flavors which is good.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – The beer was served a red-amber brew with a one finger off white head. The head faded fast to give a good level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is sweet of dark fruit aromas and a nice spicy and lightly boozy smell. The fruit aromas are of cherry and fig while the spice is of a light clove. A light nutty aroma is also present rounding out the other aromas nicely.

Taste – The taste starts out with the dark fruit detected in the nose with big tastes of raisin, cherry, and prune. Mixed with these are some other sweet candied sugar flavors. A light spice flavor then comes to the tongue along with some flavors of malt. Soon however , a good dose of alcohol flavor comes to the tongue in the form a brandy and wine like flavor. This when combined with the dark fruit flavors leaves a very warming taste on the tongue in the end.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the creamier and thicker side with a carbonation level that is slightly higher then would have been expected for a 12 % brew. The creamy body was very nice for the fruity and boozy flavors with the carbonation level at a bit of a higher level helping with the drinkability, without being overly carbonated and taking away from the tastes. Not bad.

Overall – This was a robustly sweet and flavorful brew with a very nice warming feel. A nice beer to sit and sip alongside the Christmas tree. Delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

250ml bottle served in a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautiful deep amber color forming a small yellow head that quickly disappears leaving practically no lacings

S: Very sweet and grainy in the nose. Very fruity too. Strong notes of grapes and wood: Reminds a Port wine. Also caramel, candy sugar, caramel malts, some flowery hops and alcohol in the very end

T: Follows the nose. A very sweet beer in the mouth. Caramel, candy sugar, a lot of caramel malts, grapes, oak. Mild hoppy bitterness in the end and alcohol too

M: Heavy, creamy and molasses. Medium to low carbonation. Bittersweet aftertaste which is more sweet than bitter

O: Delicious beer. To be enjoyed as a wine due to its "high" ABV. Warming up and suitable to the winter time. Recommended

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a (512) anniversary glass.

Rockin' a back-to-back with this and its wine-barreled cousin Scaldis Prestige de Nuits. Gots ta compare, baby! Anyway, this stuff pours a clear garnet-ruby populated by floaties and topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light red grapes, light fig, light dark wheat, very light clove, and a vague sense of Belgian yeast. In case you didn't pick up on the theme, everything is faint to my 'strils (though things intensify a bit with some time, but not by very much). The taste brings in more of the same, along with a mild vein of candied orange peel and a strong alcohol presence. So strong, in fact, that it's fairly oppressive. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, if you can get past the blast of booze, this ain't too bad a BSDA, if a touch ordinary.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

I was curious to try this again, this time for a review, so I picked some up during my most recent visit to The Foodery (Northern Liberties).

From the bottle: "Brewed especially for the Christmas period, Scaldis Noel is a brilliant red amber ale that will delight the most demanding connoisseurs."

12%! Wow! I went with a gentle pour as I was uncertain if there were lees present. As such, I only got a brief sheen of head that quickly dissipated. Color was a deep reddish-amber (truth in advertising) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was hot with the alcohol really prevalent along with notes of dried, dark fruit. Mouthfeel was medium and the heat was pretty intense initially and as it faded, it tasted like liquid fruitcake. Finish was sweet, very fruity, almost vinous in its flavor profile. I am not sure just how I feel about this one. I know that the 8.48 fluid ounce serving size was just about right as too much of this could be too much. I also think that if it comes in a corked and caged format, cellaring might be in order to knock down some of the heat.

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from a 8.48 oz bottle into a chalice

A- pours a honey color with a very little head, no lacing. As I see this beer now I believe its been on the shelf for a year or so... and yes I'm very happy for this

S- smells of figgy pudding, dark fruits, raisins, dried plums... very wine like, like a good muskat from the island of samos, Greece

T- sweet thick wine, raisins, muskat sweet grapes, dried plums, dark sweet fruits

M- sweet and thick bodied. Dangerously drinking for the well hidden ABv at 12%

O- quite a find we have here, thanks to my buddy. This is something I'd like to see with a couple of years more of aging since I am almost 101% this has been on the shelf for a year alreadt..

Bush De Noël from Brasserie Dubuisson Frères sprl