Old Tom Barleywine | Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
United States
ironhillbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

Traditional brown, English-style Barleywine with intense, complex malt sweetness and a sherry-like quality. Full-bodied with balanced bitterness and a warm finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-12-2005

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked up a growler of this one thanks to my father in law...from the location in Newark, DE.
Rust brown in color...limited tan head sits on top of my snifter. Lacing is thin, but attractive sticking to the side of the glass.
Aroma is not overpowering...caramel and malt up front w/ a hint of alcohol.
Taste is very unique for the majority of barleywine style ales I have had recently...primarily figs and a strong malt presence...w/ alcohol also detected in the flavor, but mild for 10%.
Texture/mouthfeel is delightful...mild carbonation and not overly sweet or syrupy.
Drinkability is through the roof, again for its style...I killed most of the growler by myself and felt great in the morning.
I dig Iron Hill and most of their offerings...I'm glad I was able to try this one.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap @ the West Chester location. Pours dark in the glass with a light mocha head. This maintains a solid look to it. Lots of rich sweetness and earthy citrus to this. More fruit and sherry-like qualities start to emerge as this warms. Very powerful and complex. I can't believe how easily this one drank for 10.5% ABV. Chad & crew knocked this one out of the park!

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%