Bison Organic Gingerbread Ale | Bison Brewing

bisonbrew.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Poured very dark brown with a semi-durable beige head.

Aroma: excellent balance in a blend of porter and gingerbread.
Flavor: not so balanced as the aroma, but richer and with more ginger. Also a touch of spicy hops. Lingering bready malt and ginger flavor.

Feel: medium-light body and medium+ carbonation; lively; enough ginger to add to the feel.

O: good but may improve with a little aging.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm a fan of pumpkin beers and that's what this beer reminded me of, since gingerbread and pumpkin spice contain some of the same spices. In actuality, this beer didn't remind me enough gingerbread. I did enjoy the lightness of the beer but if it was a bit creamier or had more of a ginger flavor, I think I would have enjoyed it better.

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

A: Nice Dark brown, pretty clear with a good 2 fingers worth of creamy off white head with fantastic lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting a lot of ginger spice aromas, very much like a freshly baked ginger bread cookie. There is also a little cinnamon in the aroma.

T: A lot like the smell here.... Gingerbread cookie with nutmeg, cinnamon and a light touch of chocolate. There is also a nice roasted malt running underneath everything.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation, pretty smooth with a clean finish and a little warming feeling

D: A very nice holiday beer, great flavors good ABV. Perfect for the season, well worth looking for.

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque dark brown with a massive head that laces and retains very well. Nose is like a weak porter with ginger added. Some hint of dark malts is present, but very subdued. The body barely makes it past the light category. Very well carbonated, which helps bring forth what flavor is there. Like the nose, dark malt flavor is subdued resulting in a profile that is mostly ginger. While not overpowering, it is rather mild, the ginger needs to be balanced with a background malt flavor profile. The finish is somewhat crisp with a residual weak ginger astringency. Not a bad beer, but it could be improved upon.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- deep garnet with a thin tan head. Poor head retention and lacing.

S- roasted coffee and ginger. Toasty malt backbone.

T- chocolate, ginger, lightly roasted coffee. Lightly bitter finish.

M- light bodied, velvety carbonation.

O- not bad, but not great.

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%

I read all of the reviews of this beer before trying it out, and really thought that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as the majority of people were saying... I was wrong. While the beer itself was a little lighter than I thought it'd be, which was nice, the taste itself was lacking.

I love anything gingerbread, so I thought this would be my new favorite beer, but I honestly didn't taste anything resembling gingerbread. If you're on the fence about trying this, I'd say to pass. I couldn't even finish my bottle, which is rare.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

For some reason Raul's homie bought a 4 pack of this swill and brought it to Big Sur for the annual thang thang. So like Raul is gonna do, Raul did.

Not that I had any hope for this Christmas-esque beverage, I was still surprised at the the poison-like tinge that it had in the aftertaste. (Apparently not everything organic is good, my children.) It was almost as if someone told the Orkin man that the ant colony presided in the Gingerbread Ale tanks, so he gave them all a lil squirt of DDT. That may be all fine and dandy in the postwar 50's, but in 2013 our cars come with seat belts and nurses stick thermometers in our mouths instead of our... I mean, times are a changing, you know?

It wasn't the worst. And if Raul could compliment it, it actually tasted similar and a bit better than Newcastle. But unlike Katy Perry, this thing didn't make Raul "Ro-o-o-o-o-o-oar!"

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%