BlackBerry Tripel | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer
3.59 w/ 1 ratings

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the brewpub – Healdsburg, CA
06/12/14 – From a 4oz taster

Listed under the Barrel Aged offerings – 8.8% ABV

A: Burnished golden blonde body with great clarity. Funny I guess I was expecting some berry coloring to this but it looks like a Tripel would. Thin paper white film of low retaining head dresses the crown. Only a few unassuming dots of stick hit the glass.

S: Smells juicy with sweetened dark berries. Incredibly similar to how a fruit roll-up smells. There is some light grassy hay and farm grains coming through as well. Not much spice in the nose as the berries pretty much dominate. Nice and very fruit forward for me.

T: The flavors are majorly blackberry juice here and the beer is a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Like a darker raspberry flavor. Subtle grainy malts and some modest Belgian spices sprinkle in a little pepper and coriander underneath. I get some young oaky flavors to it but nothing about this screams barrel aged to me. Seems rather lost in the berry sauce. Low amount of perceived bitterness and the alcohol is present becoming more so at exhalation. An okay fruit beer but comes off a little sweet and more like pure berry juice.

M: The beer has a lighter moderate body with a nice smooth mouth feel from the creamy carbonation. Lightly tacky on the tongue with a touch of drying at the finish and some mild alcohol warmth.

D: Not flawed particularly just a little too fruit forward and sweet for my tastes. I like the idea of Blackberry but maybe in a nice dark ale. To me it just dominates this Tripel style. Even the wifey thought it was a bit much. Taster was a good choice. I doubt I could get through a full pint of this.

BlackBerry Tripel from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 1 ratings