Red Rocket Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Red Rocket AleRed Rocket Ale
4.05/5
Exceptional
Red Rocket AleRed Rocket Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it's origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors.

2009 California State Fair - SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales or Lagers - SILVER
1998 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales - SILVER

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-05-2001

Ratings: 2,619 |  Reviews: 1,179
2.12/5  rDev -47.7%

Reviewed from notes--
Served in pint glass.
No visible bottle dating to go by, so if this is an old bottle-- then that isn't MY fault as a consumer! (or maybe I should just NOT buy products that don't put the date on them?)

Pours a dark red... So dark red in fact, that it almost appears brown. A tannish 2 finger head settled to a half-finger cap that stayed there a while. Left some nice rings of lace.

Smell is molassesy sweet malts. Not quite smokey, but certainly roasted! Big roastiness in the flavor. The roastiness is almost to the point where it reminds me of coffee-- it isn't all bad, just odd.
Very little hop presence-- perhaps this bottle is past its prime? Too bad there is no way for me to tell! I had a similar problem with my original review of Racer 5. I gave it a D+ on what turned out to be an old bottle. I have since re-reviewed and changed the score.
Maybe it's time to print up a 6 digit date on your product!!

Taste is roasty and sweet before turning slightly bitter and... uhhh... ummm... kind of hard to describe what happens next. It is almost chalky? Almost like... this is what pod people would drink. Perhaps this is an unpleasant side-effect of the rye?

The nose is now smelling like burnt toffee.
The finish is bitter and sticky. Feel is bad. It is slick up front and sticky at the back-- unpleasant.

This is completely a waste of my time and money. I am pouring the remainder of my glass out and moving on with my life.

I will not be buying any more Bear Republic products until they put a bottle date on their product. You guys are now 0 for 2 with me.

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

It may be a good beer for its style, but perhaps I don't like the style.

A: Unfiltered? Lots of nasties floating around when held up to the light.

S: Strong smell of hops.

T: Very bitter, with little balance. Bitter is the predominant flavor, and overwhelms all over tastes. In my mind this is the reason I don't like the taste-- for its lack of balance. To be fair, perhaps this is the norm for the style?

M: Good mouthfeel, plenty of body.

D: Not too drinkable unless bitter is one's love.

Overall: Probably a good beer based on its high score here, but definitely not high on my list. Again, to be fair, it's probably more that the beer's style is not my thing, rather than it being anything wrong with the beer.

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

Ricardo's Red Rocket Ale

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Purchased a few months ago at Giant Eagle in Painesville, Ohio. No observed "best by" or "freshness" date. The third of 4 Bear Republic beers that I bought a bomber of and will be drinking and rating this week.

A Nice classic amber body with a fluffy light brown head that leaves nice lacing. All 3 Bear Republic beers have had a really nice look. 4.5

S Medium malt and, thankfully, not a high hop smell. Appropriate to the style. 3.0

T Nice medium malt with hops mainly at the end but they take their proper secondary place. Later in the taste the hops become more to the front, an effect that I do not really like. 2.0

M Smooth is adequate but I do not appreciate the bitterness in the aftertaste that lingers for something like 2 minutes after your last sip. 2.5

D Fine but not as good as that local microbrew amber that I had recently (It was called Rocketman Red from Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio). I did not finish this bomber and I really do not like doing that. It is maybe the 4th or 5th bomber that I did not finish. 2.0

Notes: I had a microbrew within the past week that did more justice to the style, was smoother and more drinkable. It seems to me that the left coast breweries like to hop everything in sight. Of course I know that hops are part of an amber but, to me, they are supposed to be secondary to other tastes. Next up is the XP Pale Ale. I sure hope that it is not overhopped like this one.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.51/5  rDev -38%

From a 22 oz bomber, this poured a deep reddish brown with an inch head that subsided into 1/4 inch that remained all the way down leaving solid lacing all the way. Aroma - hop citrus, with roasted malt. Taste - yikes!-diacetyl right off that almost put me off the beer immediately, but I stayed with it to the end, and found a decent roasted malt without acridness from over-roasting, and noticed some citrus-(hops), before, but mostly after. Medium mouthfeel with a little too much carbonation. Drinkability- the diacetyl ruined this for me.

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%

Horrible interpertation of a Red. Nothing but hops in the flavor.

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a dark red almost brown with a generous light tan head and lots of lacing down the glass.

Smells of sweet malts with a little bit of citrus.

Good hop bite up front rounding into a brown sugar like sweetness on the back end. Almost a little astringent on the finish. Not sure if that is the right off flavor, but something definitely leaves my palate wincing at the end.

Mouthfeel is a light and carbonation is medium. Way too light for how dark the beer is.

Not nearly as good as the Hop Rod Rye. Not a total drainpour, but I dumped it after half so I could have a beer that was good.

2.65/5  rDev -34.6%

Purchased a single bottle at the 6 pack shop.

Interesting taste. Definitely bitter hops, pine. Too bitter for my taste. Definitely malty, some caramel, but to the bitterness takes over.

Not very pleased with this one. I can see why there are so many high and low reviews.

I would consider this an IPA.

2.65/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of beige head. Color is a caramel hued amber. Tons of sediment in the glass. Left some decent lace (nice retention).

Aroma: Big and malty with floral hops. Citrus and fruit flavors show. Lots of bready, caramel malts here.

Taste: Big and malty. This beer seems like it is trying to be hoppy but the hops may have faded. So many malts here. Caramel and bready malts all the way. Some floral and citrus notes, but just not for me.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a touch of bitterness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry with lots of malts in the aftertaste.

Overall, this reminded me of 6 month old winter yulesmith. I was not able to finish 6 oz of this before I dumped it. Way to malty and shows faded hop flavors. Not for me.

2.72/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a deep brown color with a good inch and quarter head.

Smells, strange frankly, quite a bit of hops.

Taste is off. Very hoppy, not my thing. Pours like a belgian, taste more like an IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, frothy, decently carbonated.

Solid pick for IPA drinkers, but alas, I am not one of them.
If into hops, definitely pick up. If not, beware, its a bit too bitter for some.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

A - Pours a slightly transparent deep mahogany red with little to no head. This may just be the growler I had it from. I have a feeling this should have a huge head.

S- Very malty presence up front. I get a good amount of piny aromas from the hop character in this one. Nice earthy tones come through.

T - Good amount of malty flavors with a decent bitter hop finish. Mostly malt flavors in this one stick out. I'm also getting a hint of citrus fruits somewhere in there. Not crazy about this growler to be perfectly honest.

M- Easy drinker with a light/medium body. Not overbearing at all but lacking and substance.

O- I have to try this out of a bottle or maybe a different keg because this didn't impress me much.

2.77/5  rDev -31.6%

Served on tap into a mason jar.
Looks nice and foamy. A deep mahogany brown with ruby tinged edges. 1 finger creamy-bubbled head, leaves behind some interesting lacing patterns. Tons of citric hop flavor and smell ambushes me repeatedly. Sadly, I find that the malt is simply too weak to hold up to the aggressive hopping. Everything seems out of balance to me, both in the nose and in the taste. I've had imperial IPAs that had much better balance between malts and hops than this thing. I can't even smell or taste the malt, this comes across to me as a poorly done IPA, not as a red ale. I can't find any yeasty bready presence at all. I can't find any malt at all. I'm left alone with one trick pony citric hops. Thankfully, there is an excellent and light refreshing mouthfeel, crisply carbonated. The texture is easily the strongest suit of this brew. I'm not impressed.

Red Rocket Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.05 out of 5 with 2,619 ratings