Red Rocket Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Red Rocket AleRed Rocket Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it's origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors.

2009 California State Fair - SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales or Lagers - SILVER
1998 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales - SILVER

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-05-2001

Reviews: 1,175 | Ratings: 2,591

This disturbingly named beer is still quite good regardless! Pours a brownish-red color, smells hoppy. Head is light, but surprisingly persistent. Taste is quite good, earthen-like flavors initially, but almost as hoppy as an IPA. Somewhat sweet with a spicy finish. Very drinkable, I could drink this one all day. A good starter beer for beer newbies, perhaps? A good show.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Yet another giant leap with this one on 12/16/2004. 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bomber poured twice in a shaker glass.

Film of foam subsides almost immediately to a cat-n-nine tail painting. Crystal clear, ruby red hue and awfully quiet. Boisterous hop on nose with some orange peel, peppermint, and an almost barleywine sweetness. Grog of hop juice, a slight ethereal smokiness, and a sponge of earthy peat on the mouth all add up to build a nice complexity to this. Solid, solid offering.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz. bottle. Bottle Conditioned. Poured into a tall pilsner glass.

This is the first time I've had a Bear Republic brew that wasn't from the tap. Definitely not as good out of the bottle but only slightly.

This is a great looking beer. Deep red with a brown tint. Thick, dense foam in the head that held up for a while. The beer that poured through it formed a hole that held its shape as it slowly went down.

A spicy smell, good melange of odors. Seems like it will be hoppy but not overly so.

The first taste is definitely complex with a lot of spice, mostly pepper, but in a good way since I don't like too much pepper. A thick beer that fills your mouth and gives you a kick so you don't want to savor it too long. It has a nice body going down. Very filling with a smooth maltiness at the end.

It isn't an easy beer to drink. Definitely a slow, almost sipping beer to savor it. But oh so very good. As I neared the end and the temperature of the beer started to warm up, it lost some of its appeal. Definitely mind the serving temperature listed on the bottle and this site for the Red Rocket.

After one, I was ready for something a bit lighter on the palette. But it is one of my favorites. Much like scotch, one is very satisfying for me.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I continue to be impressed by Bear Republic. Hadn't had this one yet, but the Hop Rod Rye is one of my all time fav's and I remember liking thier stout too, but I was a little drunk at the time and didn't review it. But this is another exceptional beer. Pours a very rusty brownish red color with a nice foamy head that lasts all the way down to the bottom of my pint glass. Smell and taste are full of flavor and character. Nice piney hops up front but with a really strong backing of nutty malts. Sometimes I think these amber/red ales really are the epitomy of a well balanced beer. Has that Bear Republic signature hoppy kick but it's a little more mellow and subdued than say an IPA. Nice buttery tones to this beer as well. Great smooth mouthfeel and as far as drinkability I'd have this beer breakfast lunch and dinner if it was socially acceptable. Hee hee. Happy beering, folks.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Deep copper in color with a large two inch thick and creamy head. Thick lacing developed through the drink like someone took a paintbrush to the inside of the glass. Hops are all over the nose. The flavors are a superbly balanced as strong malt, caramel, bread, citrus, and strong bitterness makes the tastebuds very happy.

Mouthfeel is crisp at the start and finishes smoother. Bitterness and caramel last long on the tongue after swallowing. Superb drinkability. This is a great brew.

2.86/5  rDev -29.6%

Large bomber bottle served in a shaker style glass.

Beer was a deep dark red, almost to point of being black. Pancake thick head left very little in the way of lacing.

Smell was too hoppy for a red ale, being very harsh and citrusy, with faint notes of pine and fruit.

Taste.... well, what to say about the taste... hmmm.... tasted like a watered down version of their Hop Rod Rye. Not at all what I would expect from a Red Ale. Far too harsh and unyeilding.

Thick, almost cloying mouth feeling, with lots of little floaties to give it texture.

Not a beer I will be buying again.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

[email protected] republic brewpub. Pretty intense, heavily hopped. Pine, grapey, grapefruity, and quite bitter in the finish, pretty tasty stuff. Nice stuff and good to have it fresh at the brewpub. Beautiful fresh, fragarnt hops in aroma and flavour, extremely drinkable. Tasty stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Served from a 500ml bottle.
Dark, near black red body with light brown head.
Great hop salad dark bread aroma.
Piney, sappy hops. The hops are everywhere, but there is a massive malty dark bread body supporting them. The higher alcohol, raging hops and bold maltiness are perfectly balanced.
Smooth and rich mouthfeel given great texture by the bitterness.
This is an amazing beer.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

A rocky mesa of foam appears amidst the middle of an otherwise desolate plain of lightly carbonated malt. My mind drifts, lost in the deep, deep red. A new world emerges for me, made more crystalline from occasional reflections of red light. What an odd beast.

Transfixed in a hallucinogenic dream, I walk in a field towards the red sunrise and smell the forest...intense pine...it draws me closer, yet I find myself begging for something more. It cannot give me what I demand, or can it? I beg for something more.

I take a sip...oh it is as if the forest itself has unleashed its fury upon my tongue, and yet it does not scorch my taste buds. It did not burn. The hoppy pine rests evenly on a base of sweet malt and what's that...raisins? It disappears down the gullet, leaving a mildly sweet and clean aftertaste. It coats exceptionally well, forcing me with a whip and a chain to take another gulp. Damn...this is the most sadistic animal I've ever tasted, but it somehow forces me to take more. Does this mean I'm a weirdo?

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Red Rocket is a truly gorgeous shade of crimson-bronze with shimmering orange highlights and is the gold standard by which all red ales should be judged. The beer is topped by a wheat toast brown head that is thick, rich and creamy with a deeply pitting surface and remarkable persistence. Thick sheets of lace are beginning to be laid down, broken only by miniscule BB-shot holes.

Now this is my kind of balanced. The nose is chock full of Cascade and Centennial hops that are intermixed with a toasted caramel maltiness that causes the whole to exceed the sum of its parts. How does Bear Republic nail style after style after style?

The flavor relies a bit too much on toasty malt for this hophead, but is still a delicious example of this best-of-both-worlds style. The malt backbone is as solid as a rock. Melted caramel candy fills the mouth and lingers on the finish.

Although there's a significant quantity of mega piney hops, their brilliance is buried to some extent in the profusion of brown sugary caramel malt. Bitterness is right up front however. All in all, Red Rocket achieves a grudging balance on the palate. The body/mouthfeel is a few notches more full than medium and oozes quality like most all Bear Republic beer does.

This excellent red ale lives in the upper reaches of the style with regard to flavor, bitterness and ABV. All good things for those of us who love hops and who love big beer. Once you pop the cap, Red Rocket is on its way to the stratosphere. See if you can hang on for one whiz-bang of a ride.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

One pint six oz. bottle, pours a red brown copper color, seems thick with some carbonation movement.
The smell is not significant, of hops and a licorice malt background.
Has a sweet acidic flavor of red licorice malt and the moderate flavors of hops may be flowery with an essence of cherry/maple that mildly lingers during the aftertaste.
The mouthfeel is smooth with a crisp flat carbonation light and dry.
The drinkability is remarkable for 6.8 abv and is a session beer, look out.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle. Pours a brown/red color with a small head that stays around and leaves lots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is nice and malty and sweet. Hops are apparent to even things out. The flavor is malty sweet and slightly fruity. Very smooth to drink. Mouthfeel is moderate.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

This is interesting. Orangy with black highlights, a yellow-grayish head that is amazingly sticky and creamy. Smells like caramel syrup drizzled over a citrusy fruit salad. Biscuity caramel with roasted notes taste like a mutant candy with a bitter backbone made of pine resin and orange rind. Flavor lingers with the sweetness balancing out after a few seconds. Expecting a sizzly aggressive feel, how pleased I was to fing that this beer is smooth as silk. Ends with enough bitterness to require another sip.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

With a meal at a fine restaurant in Sonoma County, happy to get a taste of Bear Republic on tap. The dish was a strong, smoky meat which was well complimented by this ale.

The beer arrived with an inch of very dense tan foam which left plenty of lacing on the glass as the beer progressed. The brew itself was a very deep amber - so dark I wouldn't have been surprised if you told me it was a brown ale.

The smell was typical, plenty of strong malt notes and a muted hops nose but with a bit too much sweet alcohol in the background. Taste was similar, bold malty notes, a bit of an alcohol 'burn' and quite a lot of hops to finish. Tasty but unbalanced, not the type of nuance I'd expect from a well-crafted ale.

Frankly, I've deducted points for what I'd consider a mis-classification of this style. On its own it's a pleasant beer but an amber ale it certainly isn't. Way too much alcohol and hopping to be an amber, even one from the North Country. If this was classified a 'strong ale" and placed against Stone's Bastard, I'd have given the taste a higher rating. It's a reasonably drinkable brew with pleasant characteristics but I can think of many other amber ales that I'd rather have.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Apperance:
The color of this brew has a strawberry applecider hue in the light, but is burgundy away from light. The head on this breer looks like whipped caramel cream. Thousands of tiny, tiny bubbles surround a few larger bubbles. Lacing is impressive so far. I will talk more about lacing after the first glass.

Nose:
I get an immediate nose of dried fruits and fig. All of the scents seem to branch off of, or come back to that same idea. I get some caramel and a little buttered bread, but the dominant smell is fig and older fruit. A comforting and inviting nose.

Taste:
Very interesting. I find it fascinating when a beer tastes different from it's nose. This beer does just that. What I taste at first is toasted wheat of browned crackers. The aftertaste is a little bitter. It is dry and hoppy in it's aftertaste. A little syrupy in the mouth.

Notes: While the taste is dry and nutty, the nose is fruity. this juxteposition makes for an interesting beer, but not one which I could drink two of. Oh yes, retention and lacing were both excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Presented in a 22oz bomber and poured into an imperial pint glass. Had a dark brownish-red hue with minimal carbonation and a modest one finger tall soapy light tan head that left spider webs of lace behind.
The nose had a nice aroma of leafy hops with lighter notes of citrus and pine. Lesser still were the scents of toasted malt, caramel and a whiff of charred wood.
The taste was really diverse with a solid malt base consisting of toasted malts and a touch of toffee, some fruitiness that I couldn't quite put an ID to, and caramel up front. As each taste moved further back on my palate I got a nice flavor of singed wood and smokey peat. Then the hops asserted themselves with a tasty fresh leafiness with some citrus rinds thrown in for good measure. The feel was medium leaning toward full with the ability to coat the mouth and linger for a long time.
I really loved this offering from Bear Republic. I enjoyed lightly exhaling through my nose with my mouth open which seemed to bring out the peaty, smokey aspect of this brew. It's a true one-off blend of an IPA, a red, and a Scotch ale. I can't believe I hadn't tried Red Rocket before. I certainly will be picking more of it up again. Good stuff!!

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Fairly dark red in hue, if not brown in spots, around the edges there are some ruby highlights (no lit backdrop is needed). The head was beige in color; at the maximum it reached about one finger in height. Then I quickly faded to a chucky, soapy cap, lacing was spotty and unorganized. The nose is powerfully hoppy, very assertive. There is a great jolt of pine and citrus (grapefruit flesh and rinds). Even though the malt doesn’t really penetrate the hops I get the vibe there will be a good malt backbone. Maybe the color is playing tricks on me. There are obvious ripe fruity aromas. This adds some needed depth. I’m very intrigued by the smells, thus it is inviting. Excellent potency. The palate is very charming. The malt isn’t quite as big as I was expecting but it does play a very important role and it does it well. The label says “Scottish Red,” I can see that in the malt as it shows flashes of depth, rich and sweet with a bit of toasty caramel. Don’t get me wrong the malt isn’t very aggressive but it does provide support. The hops are the go-getters and this is why the label states “Bastardized” before it says “Scottish Red.” On the palate the hops are aggressive, the bitterness is solid but not devastating. They start off piney and remain so for a long while and then briefly they turn citrusy. There seems to be a disconnect between the malt and hops. They don’t fit each other nor do they work in harmony (there is no conflict either). If they did this would be a great beer. As is, it is tasty and very good. The aftertaste is candied malt and piney hops. Nice. Medium in body, too thin for this beer, it is a little watery but not flawed. It is plenty drinkable and just as likeable. This is another dandy from Bear Republic, to bad the only place I see them is in Wisconsin. I bought this bomber in Milwaukee. Worth a try.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a clear, reddish chestnut color with a nice light beige head leaving good lacing. Peaty, earthy, toasty and butterscotchy malt aromas and Cascade-like in its grassy hop profile. Very complex in its five types of malt, some hop bitterness does come through, but the malt is the meal ticket in this brew; nice and biscuity. Pass the gravy, please. A wonderfully drinkable and balanced red ale. Troegs Hopback doesn't even come close to its complexity.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

22oz bomber into a regular pint glass.

This beer has a big bubbled small white head. It pours very dark. dark red brown. Mostly brown.

The aroma is mainly sweet malt.

After the initial wave of carbonation, the first thing I note is a good amount of maltiness. Roasted almost coffee flavors. Hop flavor is mild, while bitterness is fairly high. Can't really tell much about the hops. I have to admit this may be because I've been drinking too many pale ale/IPA/dIPAs lately. Alcool blares. Quickly, all flavors fade. Not syrupy.

This is very full bodied. It isn't very smooth. Not sure if this is because the alcohol is noticeable or what not.

I think I may need to try this on tap, fresh, to see more of what this beer should be like. Based on style, this has a lot of malt, bold bitterness, which are good, but it didn't really come together for me, and was quite unimpressive.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

pours an awesome dark amber/ruby colour with a chunky but fluffy off white head that is nice and sticky. as for the smell, malt and hop are nicely balanced with some sweetness and licorice. the flavour also brings a nice hop/malt balance combined with some earth and a touch of spice moreso than the sweetness detected in the smell. this one actually starts nice and malty and gradually mixes in the hop flavouring which is at its peak at the finish, where it combines nicely with a moreso roasted malt/burnt wood flavouring. this is a big red/amber ale. it, along with troegs hopback, rogue american amber, and maybe mcneill's firehouse, (though i haven't had it in quite some time) stand out the most within the style for me, though i still prefer the hopback overall, even though this one is easily more complex and daring. definitely give it a try.

Had on tap at Redbones, and liked this one. Irish Setter Red in color, I got a clean aroma off of this. I found the taste to be malty and sweet, the mouthefeel to be medium+. More Malty than I anticipated, but then I was impressed that the finish was a bit tannic, and made my mouthwater. Would get again, but then this is a brewery that you do get again, anytime you can.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a murky reddish-brown color with one finger of head. There is some lacing left on the glass. The smell is sweet with caramel malt. Some hoppiness there as well. The taste is a great blend of caramel malt and hops. Very well balanced. A nice hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is nice and strong. The drinkability is good too, you'd never know it was 6.8%. Another nice one from Bear Republic!

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Sampled from a 22oz bomber.

RR pours a clear, deep ruby-amber with a small ivory head and leaves a good lacing as you go.

Nose is a mix of dark bread smells along with some hoppy character I'm not too sure of (centennial?). Rather pleasant smelling.

Intro to the palate is a nice balance of the malty-bread tastes from the nose along with the hop bitterness. Aftertaste is pleasantly bitter but not too aggressive.

Mouthfeel is somewhat off, being rather dry and astringent, reducing drinkability IMO.

Not bad overall, and I certainly wouldn't pass it up on tap. However, the 22oz bomber was a bit much with the drying effect it had on my palate.

Wyll-

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of the fridge, there is a brightness of hop to Red Rocket Ale as fierce and fine as any of the world's best IPAs. But, instead of the hops, it is the malt that blooms as this beer warms. Red Rocket Ale evolves to a fudgy mocha backed by increasingly floral West Coast hops, and a piney-juniper-laden bitter finish.

This beer carries the heft of a British brown ale with the intensity of gorgeously fresh hops. The hop character is so intense, that it goes beyond overpowering the malt and comes full circle to balance it; it allows Red Rocket to push the limit with its malt -- this beer is _very_ dark -- and yet never come off as cloying. The depth of malt is certain in appearance and body (full, soft, liquid), yet the overall flavor leans decidely toward the hops.

On some level, this might be an "imperial" red ale, but it does not try to impress by being overwhelming. No, instead Red Rocket is a regal ale -- luxurious and always in control.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.98/5  rDev -2%

On-tap at the Innsbrook Ale House.

Clear copper in color with a hefty and long-lasting off-white head. Aromas a mix of caramel-toffee sweetness mixed with a leafy hop spicy zest, albeit a bit subdued. Flavor is up-front bitterness that is shortly overtaken by a caramel sweetness that is then trampled by an aftertaste of chewy pine cones. At 6.8%, you wouldn't know it, as the ABV is shrouded in flavor. Medium bodied and extremely drinkable. A top-notch beer that will find its way into my fridge.

Red Rocket Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.