Red Rocket Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Red Rocket AleRed Rocket Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it's origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors.

2009 California State Fair - SILVER

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A-Pours a brown/ ruby color. Tan head leaves little bits of lacing on the glass. Pours pretty dark. Seems to be slightly hazy.

S-Strong nose that brings balance from malt and hop. Deep sugary caramel. Heaps of juicy grapefruit hops and pine. Very aromatic. Smells awesome.

T-Both sweet and hoppy. Very rich flavor. Caramel and citrus hops. Sweet but bitter too. Quite bitter. Bunches of flavor. Love the style. This one is a great representation.

M-Dry with a good amount of carbonation. Medium body. Lasting bitterness. Lightly resiny. Nice feel.

O/D- I love Bear Republic. Have wanted to try this for a while. Love the style. Love the malt and hop combo. Tried it next to a Racer 5. While it is no Racer 5, its still delicious albeit less bracingly bitter and hop forward. Good stuff!

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into pint glass
A – 3 finger dense khaki head on a fairly aggressive pour, hazy dark brown color saturated with a burgundy hue, head reduced to a lumpy thin layer with lacing all around the glass 4.5
S – Florals, pine & citrus are the focus while caramel toasted malts paint the background, slight brown sugar notes 4
T – Resiny pine switches quickly to a deep roasted malt and a NOT sweet caramel structure finishing off with an mild orange zest bitter finish. Certainly on the hop side of the fence, but really enjoy the malt balance here. Need to side by side this with Odell Red. 4.5
M – Moderate body and a full palate of taste, bottle conditioned with smooth small bubble carbonation, impressive mouth feel 4.5
O – Some rye like characteristics and an overall very solid well balanced beer, I enjoyed the whole bomber and will pick this up again. Bear Republic gains again on my breweries to watch list. 4.5

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Out of a bottle this beer was a gorgeous red color with ruby highlights. The one finger of khaki colored head retained itself well and left consistent lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, bready malts, grassy hops and little brown sugar. The flavors were just as balanced as the aroma with the caramel malt and herbal hops perfectly accentuating each other. I also tasted toffee, a bit of citrus hops and a bit of pine. The mouthfeel was smooth, the body medium/full and the carbonation light. Very sessionable and an excellent example of the style.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle from Elephant's Deli in Portland, OR. Pour into a pint glass.

A - Poured a deep brown with reddish hint. with minimal head and what head there was dissipated quickly. Little lacing was left. Some sediment was found floating around as well.

S - Lots of hops upfront. The smell of piney and floral hops is a pleasant surprise. The sweet maltiness on the back end provides a good balance. I picked up hint of spices as well.

T - A nice piney hoppiness hits first followed by the sweetness and caramel from the malts. You're left with a lingering bitterness that's not overpowering.

M - Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. As mentioned before, there is a bitter aftertaste that lingers (but in a good way). Not as heavy or creamy as I was expecting based on the Scottish ale description. A very drinkable beer.

O - I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I didn't think I was in for such a treat. But I guess I should of since I'm a fan Bear Republic's other brews (e.g. Racer 5, Hop Rod). This is an excellent beer. I really enjoyed the hoppiness this amber/red ale possesses.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew poured out as a nice looking clear red color with a white fizzy head on top. The lacing doesn't stick too much but it holds a decent retention. The smell of the beer is hoppy, there is a sweet malt backbone to the beer also. The taste of the beer is much like the nose, it's hoppy and sweet all at the same time. The mouthfeel gives off some bitterness and a dry feeling after the swallow. Overall this brew is pretty good, I would drink it again if I was in the mood.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

I picked up a bottle of Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had a pretty good track record with Bear Republic so far so I thought I would give the last of the three different Bear Republic 12oz bottles that my store has to offer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer looks OK but it's nothing that is real eye catching. It poured a deep and dark ruby red color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is a strong nice mixture of hops, there's some floral, piney, and citrus hops going on that give this beer a pretty nice hop aroma. I pick up a some grainy caramel malts but other then that it's the hops that dominate the aroma.

T- Just like the aroma the taste is also pretty hoppy. The first thing that I picked up is the caramel malt backbone of this beer which is more noticeable then it was in the aroma and lends a nice slightly roasted caramel malt flavor to this beer. After that comes the hops, the floral hops are the most noticeable along with some pine and a little bit of citrus grapefruit. The finish has a medium amount of bitterness to it and it has floral aftertaste.

M- Smooth, dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, and it had medium amount of carbonation that was just the right amount for this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty good Red Ale. It was on the hoppy side for a Red Ale, but it had a nice caramel malt backbone to balance out all those hops. I found this beer to have good drinkability, I wouldn't mind drinking another one, but after two the bitterness might wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it was heavy on the hops but the caramel malts kept them in check nicely and when combined they made for a pretty good flavor. What I liked least about this beer was the body, it wasn't bad but it felt just a little watery and would have been perfect with a medium amount of body to it. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good Red Ale, the hop profile seems like it would make for a good Red Ale to drink during a warm summer afternoon. I would recommend trying this beer if you are a Red Ale fan or if you like hoppy beers, it's a good example of how well a Red Ale can hold up to a bunch of hops. So far I would say that this is one my favorite Red Ales, I like it slightly better then Cow Catcher, it tastes similar but this beer has a heavier and better tasting hop presence. This was another great beer from Bear Republic, so far every beer I have had from them has been pretty top notch and it seems like they got a knack for the hops, I will have to move on to some of their bigger bottles next, I know what they can do with hops but I am interested to see what they got in store when it come to darker beers, looks like I am gonna have to try Big Bear Black Stout next, I have high hopes, good job Bear Republic.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice garnet color with some dark orange and reddish/amber hues. There is no head, just a small white ring that sits on the top. It is on the clear side as you can see a good amount of floating particles and some scattered rising bubbles.

S: It starts off with a blast of flowery and herbal perfume-like hops with a bit of a roasted and caramel malt character. Citrus notes also make their way through. This is quite nice.

T: The taste is similar to the aroma with some great additions. There is still the nice blend of piney and floral hops with the roasted caramel malts. Grapefruit-like citrus is also noticeable. It takes a turn from the aroma here with a big tea flavor which quite tasty.

M: It has a medium body and is kind of on the watery side. There is no carbonation and feels kind of flat. It is very smooth though and easy to drink.

O: This is a great tasting beer that has a nice aroma to accompany. These aspects, in my opinion, are the most important when it comes to a beer, but with some work on the appearance and mouthfeel, this could be a great one. I will definitely be revisiting this.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Ruby/copper colored, minimal off-white head and average lacing.

S - Citrus, pine, and toffee. A hint of tobacco.

T - Hoppy, caramel, a touch of roastyness. Everything I'd want in a red ale.

M - A bit thin, but okay because it's very drinkable.

O - A great red ale. Probably the best commercial one I've had.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Deep dark ruby color, minimal head, and some sediment floaties.

S - Citrus hops right up front, with some caramel malts leading to an inviting nose

T - Follows the nose, the citrus hops are a bit more subdued, and more piney hops come forward. The maltiness softens the bitterness leaving to a nice well balanced taste

M - Smooth, with medium carbonation.

O - Very good amber ale. First I have had from this brewery and will be happy to try more

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

I haven't had a Bear Republic beer before. They come with a great reputation, and this is one that they are known for.

I specifically used a tulip glass to maximize the aroma coming off of the beer. I smell mango and floral from the top. The coloring is a beautiful, deep ruby.

This beer tastes great as well. I get a lot of citrus in each drink.

This is an exceptional beer. I look forward to getting another bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Bought from Belmont Party Supply on a trip to Dayton, OH w/ Barfwin a couple months back. Has been waiting in the "refer" for the perfect moment ever since.
(No bottle date)

Aroma: Pungent grapefruit hops. Nice, deep, brown sugar note. Hops and malt blend extremely well in this one.

Appearance: Deep reddish-amber body with a fair amount of clarity. My view through the beer is a bit obstructed, though, by the "floaties". I've seen these in other hoppier brews, though, and am not concerned in the least. Head is off-white, and one finger in thickness. Eventually settles to a patch of tapioca-sized bubbles on the surface. (thanks to the wife for cooking with tapioca tonight and providing the above reference point...)

Flavor: Sweet tea up front, transitions to carmelly malt, more tea leaves, and then a pine + grapefruit hop flavor. A strong, Bear Republic, bitterness quickly appears, and grips on nicely through the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation and medium body. The hops are a little drying, but not to the point of affecting my enjoyment of the brew.

Overall: I really enjoy a standard Irish Red, but this is an excellent hopped-up American version. I will be looking for again, and recommend that you do the same!

Red Rocket Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.