Apex | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

ApexApex
Liked This Beer
4.23 w/ 1,045 ratings
ApexApex

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Apex: The highest point, the culmination or climax. In racing, the apex of the turn is approached differently as conditions dictate, but always with a forward looking mindset. This beer is the culmination of years of brewing and drinking hop forward IPAs. We reserve the right to move forward to the next Apex.

2009 California State Fair - SILVER

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

2.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Got this pour at Owen & Engine, what a fine pub establishment.
Pour presents that dark sunburst color with the color a bit darker in the center.
Aroma shows the type of hop character i expect from bear republic, cascade and simcoe hop profiles of strong pine and light citrus notes creating what i consider the typical and cliche go-to ipa profile. nothing unique or special to hold my attention throughout the aroma or flavors.
Mouthfeel is a bit dense and/or lacking carbination and that keeps this one from popping as much as i like from a ipa.

This one is a skip for me in the future. t typical and average to be interesting.

2.84/5  rDev -32.9%

On tap at the Rattle n Hum and served in a pint glass.

Apex pours a relatively clear orange, lightening towards tangerine in the right lighting. There's about a finger of white foam crowning the beer, and it shows pretty good staying power. Lacing is a bit spotty though. Still, all in all it looks pretty good for a bar pour. The nose has a little bit of caramel to it, and a little bit of citrus. Emphasis on "little bit" there, as the aroma overall is far too weak, and much more pale ale than double IPA. There's a little bit of malty caramel sweetness up front, and a solid bite of bitterness to clear that out of the way mid palate. As with the nose though, the hoppy follow through is just weak here. The grapefruit-y citrus notes aren't nearly as aggressive as they should be. The body is solidly light, definitely on the drier end of the spectrum. The carbonation is just a little bit lifeless though, which definitely doesn't do the beer any favors. Racer 5 and Racer X are just two of the great hoppy beers I've had from Bear Republic, so I was really surprised at how underwhelming I found Apex to be.

2.94/5  rDev -30.5%

One note hops. Extremely basic

2.96/5  rDev -30%

I had this one on draft at Rattle N' Hum in NYC on a night featuring Bear Republic brews. This one was not a feature in my eyes when compared their staples I have come to love in Racer 5 and Racer X.

A: Best part of this beer good color, nice 2 finger head gives this one promise.

S: This is where the let down begins. From a DIPA I was expecting a crsip, hoppy nose and it just wasnt there. Slight hop notes, but I felt like I had to search for them.

T: Dissapointment continues. Heavy caramel, malt and sweetness take the forefront here. Again, I found myself searching for the hops I was craving.

M: Mouthfell was good, but lached some of the body and carbonation I was looking for. At this point a decent mouthfell was not saving this one.

O: I would like to say that this let down was a function of an old barrell, but on Bear Republic night I highly doubt this was the case. This will not turn me away from my favorites from them, but I will not have the Apex again. In my eyes (mouth) this was not a DIPA...

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

On tap in a pint glass at the Smokehouse on 8/8/11

Pale, browned, golden amber. Very clear. One finger head tops the glass. Thin, but lasting retention. Excellent wall of lace.

Lots of zesty citrus hops in the nose - grapefruit, orange, lemon and some tangerine. Pine resin, too. Smells spicy. Malt backdrop of biscuit, bread and a spot of caramel. Booze is absent.

Apex tastes totally different that it smells. Hops are very earthy, almost dirty. Modest pine bitterness with understated, nondescript citrus zest. Malts are earthy, too - dusty biscuit and bread. Faint suggestions of dark fruit from the middle on. I swear, it almost has a powder cocoa finish. Starts to taste solvent-like as it warms.

The feel is thin; much too thin for the style. Carbonation is low, making for a confused, unfocused feel. Smooth enough, though. A hint of alcohol is appreciable. Long-lingering bitterness.

Overall impression - a decently constructed brew that just doesn't do it for me.

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

After loving Bear Republic's Racer X I was happy to find this beer on tap. A hazy, copper colored body with a sturdy off-white head. Great retention and lacing.

This beer smells pretty good too. Lots of grapefruit and orange zest, a bit of lemon. Lots of resinous pine scents and obvious bitterness.

After how good this beer looks and smells, I was pretty shocked by the fact that I don't like how it tastes. All of the characteristics from the aroma are there once again; pine, many forms of citrus and loads of bitterness. Also present, however, is the biting and unpleasant "industrial cleaner" flavor that I seem to be running into more frequently in big IPAs and IIPAs lately. Add the fact that the malt backbone still manages to add a little more caramel flavor that I would like and this one is not a winner for me.

Very harsh and biting, which I would actually like with a better flavor profile.

This is not one I enjoyed. More Racer X please!

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Served in a 12 oz wine glass/champagne flute hybrid stemmed glass for $6.

This is a pretty amber beer with good head and lacing. The aroma is grapefruity and orange dominated. The beer tastes funny at first, I couldn't pin point it until I tried to explain it to my girlfriend and she nailed it: rubber. It has this harsh rubbery taste at first that I'm thinking is a fermentation defect, but it could very well be from scorching the hops. With the resinous and grapefruit oil attack from the first drink it is well hidden, but I might be particularly sensitive to this. The beer finishes better with a nice dried orange peel bitterness that lingers for a while and has a bit of biscuit malt flavor at the end.

The weird taste like licking a rubber band did not work for me, otherwise it is the kind of beer I generally like.

3.32/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Pours a clear golden/copper/orange color. A one finger white head forms, and recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Some lace is left behind.
S: Citrus, piny, and grapefruit hops up front. A substantial bitterness throughout. Some caramel malt for balance, along with some bread and biscuit.
T: A little one dimensional. A strong grapefruit bitterness up front and dominate. A light grainy malt flavor lingers.
M/D: A medium body that is sticky and soapy. Hot alcohol and strong bitterness makes this a one and done.

Just the standard American DIPA. Lots of bitterness and not much else. If that is your thing it is worth a try.

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Served in a tumbler at The Tribes.

The Accidental Highway to Hell Tour continues! This stop pours a clear light amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises lime, caramel, orange zest, lemon zest, menthol, and balsa. The taste holds notes of pine, lime, dark toffee, brown sugar, light booze, caramel, and light menthol. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a syrupy feel, and a sticky finish. Overall, I think this could have been a pretty damn fine DIPA, but it just comes off as boozy and hastily hopped (meaning it was overdone with little thought to how it was being overdone...if that makes sense...). Shame, really...

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy glowing copper; huge chunky light khaki head that slowly falls leaving great thick retention and sticky frothy lacing. The aromas are malt forward with some hints of citrus. Hints of toffee as well. The flavors seem to follow the nose for the most part. Hints of orange and lemon. More caramel and toffee. Hints of pine. Slightly sticky. Strong malt backbone with a solid hop bitterness as well. Nice balance. Mild warmth and spiciness in the finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's extremely fluffy and creamy. Smooth and easy to drink.

This is an alright DIPA. It drinks more like a hoppy "Imperial Red Ale" or an "Imperial Red IPA". It's nothing too crazy or flashy, but it's enjoyable and well crafted.

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

"Apex Special IPA." 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a squeaky clean Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery - which is amongst the best in California in my opinion. "8.95%" ABV. Reviewed live. Reviewed as an IPA for obvious reasons.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Nice even consistency and smooth soft complexion. Good creaminess and thickness. Nice even lacuing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is great for the high ABV - about 9-10 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of above average vibrance and excellent clarity. Appears well-carbonated. It's a clean appearance; there's no visible yeast sediment or anything.

Overall, it's a good looking beer and fits neatly inside style conventions, plus it boasts an impressive head. I'm excited to try it, but in fairness it's not a unique or special appearance for an IPA. There are many beers that look just like this does.

Sm: I dig the fruit - peaches, apricot, and tangerine. It could be fresher and juicier, but the fruitiness is nice overall. It's also got some nice floral hop character, some mild resins, and a kiss of pine. Though it boasts some impressive and diverse hop character, the hop bitterness is well balanced by malty undertones - caramalt, sweet pale malts, and clean barley.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. It's not the dry, arid, stale aroma of many bad IPAs.

It's a clean, pleasant aroma of moderate strength. Soft. Aromatic.

T: It's got a lovely hop profile - that much is immediately obvious. Soft fruity tones of pleasant peach, apricot, and tangerine. Floral hop character. There's some citrusy zest on the finish which unfortunately flirts with the stale orange juice character I always hate in IPAs; luckily this is pretty tame. Onion/garlic. Lime.

It's got a bit too much caramalt and pale malt sweetness in general, but luckily this sweetness covers up any hop bitterness. As a result, it's got a general cohesion and a decent balance, but it's not quite the fine-tuned carefully built brew I've come to expect from Bear Republic.

No yeast character, alcohol, or off-flavours come through.

Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. I like that it doesn't have biting bitterness. It's not the most intricate or complex IPA I've had, but it's superior to most IPAs. I just wish the hop profile was a bit more interesting.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sleek and soft. Approachable. Medium-bodied. Mildly filling. Lightly oily. Slightly overcarbonated.

Not boozy, hot, gushed, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Overall, this beer has a good presence on the palate and the texture complements the taste nicely, though it doesn't quite feel custom-tailored specifically to this flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its ABV well; I'd guess it was maybe 8%. While I did expect far more given Bear Republic's mastery of hoppy styles, this remains an enjoyable IPA which is worth trying once. Personally, I wouldn't get it again, but I'm glad I got to try it and I'll have no difficulty finishing the bottle.

I will say I can see how this may have been one of the best limited release IPAs out there when it was first released.

High B-

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Apex from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 95.4% out of 100 with 1,045 ratings