Racer 5 India Pale Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale
4.19/5
Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD

Added by kbub6f on 03-27-2002

Ratings: 7,708 |  Reviews: 2,337
1.2/5  rDev -71.4%

1.82/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Heavy and very bitter. Sharp start with a heavy, dry finish. NOT my style. Sorry.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

It is my moral duty to let you guys know that racer 5 recipe has changed. Do not waste your time with this beer. It is not longer an "A" grade beer. All the reports you see here are BS by people who dont know what they are talking about. It is disgusting and nothing compared to what it was prior to april 14th batch. I am here to tell you DO NOT BUY so they can make the old one.

I'm not lying.

I demand the old racer 5 come back!

My review

The beer is dry and lighter than before. Is lacking body.

The beer is now clear and not hazy

The aromatic hops are way weaker now and smells falt. Before it had cirtus and even orange aroma.

Please do not support this companies.

2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

From a 12 oz bottle into 8oz beer glass and 4 oz beer glass - split
2/11/11

A - one glass nice clear amber color / 2nd glass murky orange amber color with tons of sediment and floaters - no shaking or hard pour -

S - Very nice citrus smell, no hop bitterness or maltiness present at all

T - Light hop bitterness with very light citrus after taste - this tasted like leftover hop water -

M - Very light mouthfeel - little to no carbonation -

D - Tried this at BevMo on tasting day a while back and don't remember it being bad - actually bought the 12oz single that day to try at home - maybe this is an old bottle, bad cap, faded out? Didn't see a date on the bottle on the look I gave it - kept it as I like to keep the labels -
I'll change the review if I get the opportunity to try this again at home from a bottle in the future --

2.24/5  rDev -46.5%

2.34/5  rDev -44.2%

A - Dark honey color with a decent head, slight haze. Head was quick to dissapate.

S - Rather astringent smell with little hop flower detecable.

T - Like an overhopped pale ale, not a very good IPA. No complexity to the hop character, just unpleasant bitterness.

M - Thin for an IPA, light carbonation.

D - I didn't want to finish my 22 oz. bottle.

I was really looking forward to this beer as I have heard many good things about the brewery. I was very disappointed.

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

Still do not have a taste for these overly hoppy IPAs. I like the look, nice gold with lots of floaties from the bottle conditioning. The piney aroma is not overbearing. The taste gets better as you go but I am still not a fan of chewing pine needles. I would never buy any of these, but will drink one occasionally when offered in a trade.

2.44/5  rDev -41.8%

Serving: A 12oz glass at Frisco Burrito (a great pub) in Columbia, Maryland.

Appearance: It looked like any other pale ale except I've seen Industrial Light Lagers with a better head.

Aroma: It had that great IPA aroma screaming: "Hey, Hop Head, can you take it." OTOH once you got passed the hops, it said vegetables.

Taste: Disappointing. It tasted like an overhopped pale ale without a malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between thinner and thinnest

Overall: It was the thinest IPA I have ever tasted.

2.54/5  rDev -39.4%

Not much to say for this beer. It's a typical West Coast IPA drowned in hops. All the usual notes - pine, citrus, some sweetness. Good carbonation. Nice looking beer. I probably won't have another one for a couple years. Not nearly enough flavor balance. Give me a Dogfish 90 minute. Or a Pliny.

2.56/5  rDev -38.9%

I bought this beer on vacation and had very high hopes. Split between myself and two other avid beer enjoyers.

All of us were in agreement that it was just an okay IPA. Poured into tulips, very minimal head. Appearance was nice with a darker orange/amber color.

Taste was not fully there, hops on the front not too citrusy and tastes left mouth almost as soon as I swallowed it.

All were in agreement it was just okay - and being able to have the option to try anyother IPA blindly in front of us over that one would do so.

2.6/5  rDev -37.9%

The most overrated beer on beer advocate....

Had in a bottle and on tap..... Both underwhelming and non descript.... Sold as a bartender in a few spots and never had a repeat sale....

Don't get this one at all....

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.19 out of 5 with 7,708 ratings