Racer 5 India Pale Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD

Ratings: 7,658 |  Reviews: 2,322
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

I give this beer a 5 based on it's representation of what I feel an IPA should be. I typically do not prefer IPAs and I actually find this one very enjoyable.

All I have to say is that it looks tantalizing and retains an amazing, creamy head to the end. Nice medium carbonation can be seen through the clear amber. The smell is sweet with strong tropical fruit hop smell. The taste is a spot-on balance of sweet maltiness and piney/tropical hop bitterness that sits just right, not too bitter and minimal bitter finish. It feels thick and chewy but not overbearing. It is truly an easy, smooth drinker with a slight resinous and oily feel to chew on. I gotta say I really like this one and will be the only IPA other than Pliny that I would actually purchase.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

I've had this a ton of times, but I guess this is the time I'm going to actually review it. On draft at a local bar in western, MA.
Apppearance: Pours hazy orange with a white head which quickly dissipates. I've actually always thought of this as a golden IPA...but the lighting in here isn't that grate either...I think this bar probably goes through a beer like this at a moderate pace, so it's not super fresh, but still very good.

Smell: LIght grapefruit smell, floral, yeasty (almost like sourdough)

Taste: As almost every other time i've had this it is really a grate all around balanced ipa. Initially good grapefuit taste, well balanced malt in the middle and a slight hint of acidity/bitterness at the end. I would love to try one of these that was super fresh...I think it would likely be much more assertive.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Sometimes these are just too easy to drink...at 7% that can be dangerous, but it is tasty. This is a perfect summer time IPA. Light in body yet tasty, closer to an american pale ale i think. Differing from someone like sierra pale in a good way with more citrusy/floral hops.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A nice, somewhat hazy amber color. Head doesn't live too long, but there's still a good bit of lacing left behind.

Smell: What a bouquet. A lot of grapefruity aromas, but then some other hops in there as well. There's also some other sort of fruit I can't quite pinpoint... almost smells like Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles in a way. I'm not sure where I'm getting that.

Taste/Feel: Just so damn impressive. It's an IPA that's more interesting than most, in my opinion. It drinks like a pale ale, but it hits you with the bitterness you'd expect from an IPA. The finish is pale ale-like in that you get the malts... but at the same time, you get the grapefruity flavors. The carbonation is about medium, and the feel is pretty middle-of-the-road. Fits this beer very well, making it super thirst quenching.

Boy am I glad I picked this one up. Something about it just sucks me in... it's a wonderfully constructed IPA that also has a lot of APA in it as well. May well be my favorite IPA.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle carefully decanted into a Hoffman House chalice. Bottled on 08/20/12.

A - Crystal clear golden with a large, tightly packed, foamy white head. Gorgeous.

S - Massive citrusy grapefruit. Hard to get past.

T - Bready malt and slight caramel with massive fruity hop flavors. Transitions into a hop bitterness that is the very picture of clean. Bone. Dry. Finish.

M - Light body with medium to low carbonation. Only thing I can stick it for. Probably varies from batch to batch.

O - I want more. This is the photograph of an american IPA. Classic example of the style.

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.