Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Racer 5 India Pale Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale
4.19/5
Exceptional
Racer 5 India Pale AleRacer 5 India Pale Ale

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There's a trophy in every glass.

2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD
2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show
2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER
1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

Added by kbub6f on 03-27-2002

Ratings: 7,717 |  Reviews: 2,340

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my desert island beer. If I was allowed only one beer to bring with me to a deserted island, this is it! Not just my go-to beer, but damn near my favorite ever. Damn near.

Of course I'm a little biased due to having an intense love of Healdsburg, CA, so take this all with the appropriate grain...

Beautiful amber pour, nice, white head, quality lacing as the glass quickly empties. Complex taste, but not so complex that it's overwhelming. A slight bit of spice on the front end followed by a super clean finish that leaves me begging for more. There is a malty presence which I might usually find annoying, but this is balanced so perfectly that I find myself enjoying what could be considered a slight drawback.

This is simply the most solid American IPA I've found this side of the Russian River. Buy it, drink it, be it.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle: standard but solid 355mL brown bottle, funky if plain old-school label.

Appearance: golden amber with a slight hint of orange, a bit hazy. The head is impressive - only 1.5 fingers deep, but heavy and creamy. Good retention and lacing.

Aroma: as expected, a heavily hopped aroma. A good mix of citric, pine and floral hops.

Taste: follows the aroma. The citric, pine and floral hops are absolutely present, but also have some bread malts to back it up. Better than the usual American IPA - more complex.

Aftertaste: the heavy hops linger a bit too much for my palate, but I can at least recognise that it has been magnificently combined. A steady bitterness travels through, which is nice.

Mouthfeel: medium-to-heavy body, light-to-moderate carbonation. I'm glad the carbonation hasn't been over-done like some American IPAs.

Overall: one of the best American IPAs I have had, by a fair old margin. It is heavily hopped per the style, but it doesn't make the usual mistakes of over-carbonation and no malt to back up. Really, a lovely brew.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

This is one of my favorite IPAs. I never turn down a chance to drink it. It’s delicious, hoppy, bitter, fruity, floral, and is always a great way to spend a few minutes, a couple of dollars, and the end of a day.

This is definitely an underrated beer! I rarely give all 5's but this deserves it! It is a very well balanced IPA that has a good malt backbone to back it up. It does have a big hop forward taste that lingers a few minutes after the gulps. Best part is when I'm done I can still taste this beast in my burps :) OUTSTANDING BREW!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Racer 5 India Pale Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.19 out of 5 with 7,717 ratings