Hop Rod Rye | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye
4.22/5
Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

Added by Quaffer on 03-27-2002

#911

Ratings: 4,723 |  Reviews: 2,080

Got this in a trade with telejunkie.

Color: Pours a beautiful amber color with a decent two-finger head. Ample carbonation.

Aroma: Very hoppy and floral. Cascade hops and rye always see to go together well.

(side note: I homebrewed a rye pale ale with cascade and amarillo hops).

Taste: Very hoppy and floral upfront. Unfolds with beautiful rye kick, followed by flowery hop bitterness. Smooth. Spicy. The rye adds another dimension to this IPA. Somewhat bready and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Spicy and bready. Floral and hoppy. The bitterness of the hops lingers on the palate.

Drinkability: Very, very drinkable. From the start, you're treated to a very nice floral hop kick with the rye adding to it. One sip and you should be hooked.

Verdict: Magnifico! This is one IPA I would love to try again and it gives me something to aim for in homebrewing.

Good god. Hop Rod Rye is royalty in peasants clothing. Assertive and mature hop/rye characteristics. A tricky trilateral balance between the three key ingrediants. Somehow this brew is able to maintain an equilibrium. The hops is undoubtedly seated top of the pyramid, but a keen sense can easily distinguish the awesome barley/rye essenses. Silky and lubricating mouthfeel. Notes of toasted barley, wood, resinous hop cones, and of course... rye. A prost to Bear Republic, undesputed brewery of the west coast.

Poured into an Ommegang Chalice.

A-reddish dark amber, the word "garnet" comes to mind, hop/ yeast chunks abound in a great way... thick beige head, rocky as all hell, though not quite Duvel in it's impressiveness, it's damn close...Christ what a head...mooncrater fascination and everything...crazy lacing lasts long after the glass is drained.
S-Dry hopped ale scent/sweetness/bitter fruit astringent hop smell which I love; smells like an invitation to a ritual, and it is. Since my first review, I have reaccessed my initial "smell" number.... I actually docked the smell 1/2 point because, in my imagination, it could be even more enticing if it was even more pungently hoppier...but that's bullshit; let's dwell upon what actually exists on earth, here, now: this beer smells awsome; it is unique in it's aroma, and to dock points off from this beer because of some imaginary hop notion, would indeed impoverish the language, and atrophy the soul of beer advocacy. I have yet to encounter a beer related scent that is more enticing, yes, even in Stone Ruination.
T-Rye makes it's presence known here, but in a not overpowering way: in fact the way it appears is very subtle: a slight sourness/ a slight breadiness, and then in the fantastic protiens that make up the head of this tremendous beer! Seriously balanced malt/hop ratio is obvious though, but in my present acolyte state I cannot discern what the malt is (besides Rye) or what the precise hops are...seems to me that grapefruity cascades (+ some serious I.B.U. hops of the California variety) are in the house to some great degree....middle is really juicy...god this is good...8% alcohol is totally absent. and I mean ABSENT from the palette; this Bear Republic brewer obviously knows his stuff..semi-dry finish....Aftertaste is sublime and demands repeated sips, gulps, bottles....This beer probably goes well with some foods; but it is best consumed by itself....to be contemplated as the work of brewing art that it is....IMHO.
M-Perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. All beers should have this mouthfeel....really...
D-Sublime Drinkability. S U B L I M E. Damn!
CRUX: ESSENTIAL RYE HOP BOMB EARTHY GIFT FROM THE GODS. This is ALWAYS in my DBF, as this beer is in my top 5 beers of all time. This beer is a masterpiece, and as a creation it's as fine, essential, and profound as: air conditioning, James Brown's back catalog, penicillin, Jackson Pollock, anesthesia, the selected poetry of Ranier Maria Rilke, air bags, Bose speakers, and Blue Note vinyl records. Damn!, it's poetry time!:

But because Truly being here is so much; because everything here
apparently needs us, this fleeting world, which in some strange way
keeps calling to us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
Once for each thing. Just once; no more. And we too,
just once. And never again. But to have been
this once, completely, even if only once:
to have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing.

Ranier Maria Rilke, 9th Elegy.

**NOTE: It took me at least 12 bottles to come to these scores. When I first tried this beer, it was my first "rye beer" and I thought it was a great "one note" IPA. That "note" was a good "note" though, akin to the "one note" guitar solo in Neil Young's "Down By The River," but further bottles have revealed that this is indeed "the gift that keeps on giving," and very complex IPA worthy of serious consideration. I have been totally seduced by this "perfection in a glass" fantastic Rye IPA. Is this review too long? Yes, even I think so, but I find something to appreciate in each new bottle, and cannot imagine tiring of this beer, ever....TOP, TOP NOTCH STUFF!

THE END.
(Fini.)

p.s.: as of Nov. 2006, this is still my favorite beer, uh, ever!

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.22 out of 5 with 4,723 ratings