Hop Rod Rye | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

Added by Quaffer on 03-27-2002

Ratings: 4,717 |  Reviews: 2,077

This beer came to me by way of trade with dhchatfield. Thanks again! This would be my new go beer if it was available in Cincinnati.

The beer was poured into a pub glass and shared with my wife.

Appearance: The beer has a dark amber coloration. The beer has major amounts of particles floating in the beer. I swear it looks like rye seeds are floating in the beer. The head was a massive craggy creamy biege coloration. The head never gave up during the entire session. The beer left thick rings of pancake like lacing on my glass.

Smell: When I popped the cap on this beer I knew I had a winner. While still in the bottle my nose was assaulted with major rye and cascade hops. Upon pouring this beer in the glass. My initial thought was sorry honey you aint getting any of this. The beer had major rye bread smells. The cascade hops produced perfect citrusy lemon and lemon zest. Pine needles bring up the rear of the smell.

Taste: This may very well be the mother of all Rye beers. Gods this beer is loaded with rye upon breadyness. The flavor made me wish for some ham and cheese on rye bread. The citrus nature of the hops dominate the piney hop flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is slightly bigger than medium body. The beer is well carbonated. The hops have a pleasant lingering oilyness. This beer is really something special. I enjoyed the beer from the instant I opened the beer. I would highly reccomend this beer to my other BA's.

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.