Hop Rod Rye | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

Added by Quaffer on 03-27-2002

Reviews: 2,078 | Ratings: 4,698
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Anam Cara

Medium white head, mostly lasting. Clowdy orange-red hue. The aroma was mostly of the bittering hops with some sweetness coming through. Sweet beginning taste with the huge hop flavor coming through in the middle and at the end in a big way... Detect a small grapefruit flavor on the palate as it lingered in my mouth. Light to Medium bodied with a dry texture and lively carbonation. Wonderfully hoppy IPA style -- hopped to the extremes.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle from Stockertown Bev

The Hop Rod has a cloudy brown-reddish color with a creamy substantial head and nice lacing.

Very different aroma, the malty rye smell is dominant with some hops blended in.

Really like this,the rye and malt make this an IPA type like no other. Substantial body to it. Had a case that went fast at the last party.

Went fast, was even better as it sat for a while.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance - Pours a beautiful, mahogany brown with a fine, off-white head

Aroma - Complex. Dark fruit, touch of pineapple, brandy-soaked cherries, bold, funky hops, maybe even a little bit like pumpernickel bread - a really nice, deep, intriguing set of smells going on in this one

Taste - not shy on the IBUS or the ABV. This is a pretty big beer. But, oh boy, what a tasty treat! Bold, hoppy, fruity, almost vinous,...this one really fills the mouth with flavor. A little kiss of sweetness and a touch of a floral thing going on as well. Big, expressive, really nice!

Mouthfeel - Pretty much perfect carbonation for me. No complaints here.

Drinkability - I'm on my first one right now. I'll have to see how I progress through this 4-pack, but as I've usually found out the hard way, if it's sold in a 4-pack there's probably a good reason for that. Although right now this is going down pretty darn well!

3.9/5  rDev -8%

A- Dark red/copper color with a thin white head. Head fades somewhat rapidly. Moderate lacing down the glass.

S- Hops, some malt presence. Very fresh, inviting smell.

T- Tastes like your standard IPA, lots of fresh bitter hops, a slight rye taste. I was hoping for more rye, but this is technically an IPA, not a rye beer.

M- Good amount of carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable, but I dont think I would have more than 2 in a sitting.

Other- I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dont get me wrong, Its a great beer, and I enjoyed it, I was just hoping for more rye I guess.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Just purchased one of these at TW in Alexandria. Drank from a Bells glass, chilled to perfection

A: Deep coppery-red with a light brown 2-finger head. Nice, foamy lacing when glass is tilted.

S: definite hops, grapefruit and malts

T: Grand!! Slightly bitter up front with lots of grapefruit and very little pines or resins. Some malts and a bit of rye (I wonder why the rye??!!) Finish is smooth and dry with no hop build-up.

O: This is a keeper!! Abundantly available here, even in the groceries, It is reasonably priced and a real hop-hog. I like this beer to no end!! At 8% ABV, almost a DIPA and a sessionable on at that!! To the bear I say: RRROOOAAARRR!!!

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to pour this one due to lack of a clean glass. Looking through the tinted bottle, though, I feel that I can still judge its appearance a little. I can see that it is a deep, thick amber and (if I had a clean pint glass) I'm just about positive that it would pour a pretty creamy head.

Smells hoppy in one of the greatest ways that I can remember a beer smelling; reminds me of "hazed and infused", "hop wallop", and (too a much lesser extent) a number of IPA's. As one would expect from the explanation on the bottle, rye is definitely what is dominant on the nostrils.

Rye and intense, organic hops are definitely what dominate the palate as well with this one. I was thinking, at first, that this one was going to lean more to the direction of being an extremely hoppy specialty ale like hazed an infused, but after a few sips, I am convinced that it is definitely an IPA, and to be completely honest, it is probably my favorite of the style that I have sampled thus fur, which is saying a lot because I have tried many an IPA.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and wonderful. I really don't think that I could ask for too much more in this department, in regard to an IPA.

I could definitely knock back a few of these. I drank 1 pint 6 fluid oz. a lot faster than I thought I would and it's only eleven in the morning! Note: I have been eating pizza as well (which is somewhat of a common compliment to IPAs) so its slightly possible that it is throwing off my review, but I doubt it. I will definitely purchase this beer again when I am search of something with an extremely high hop and alcohol content.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A- A deep redish/brown with very light coming threw. A nice off white foamy head with rediculous retention.
S- A dominance of spicy hop aroma with a hint of rye and maltiness.
T- The hops control most of the flavor here but rye deffinatley comes threw in the end giving a nice pleasent dry finish. The rye really compliments the heavy hop character well.
M- Alot of carbonation massages the mouth which lightens this medium bodied brew.
D- Pretty good which kinda makes me wish I brought two of these bombers.

3.72/5  rDev -12.3%

Body has an amber/ruby color to it.
Nice tan head with superb lacing all the way down the glass.
The light hops smell didn't impress me all that much. Maybe my sniffer wasn't up to par this day?
The mouthfeel was rather heavy, with a dry hoppy/spicy taste. It had a Great lasting kickass spice finish taste.
I couldn't do more than 2 pints, so the drinkability suffered there.
Here's a first for me... Yes a burpability factor of 10. HAHA I can't believe I'm writing this... but really a great taste of nothing but some spicy hops.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

A- copperish hue with a little murky sediment

S- dark maltyness with a sweet and bitter tone overall, doesnt smell exceptionally hopped

T- delicious! thicker body, prolly cause of the rye, soft and palatable without a heavy hop characteristic. the abv content overall makes for a sweeter and deeper ryePA that i particularly enjoy!

overall i can appreciate this beer, i am HUGE fan of Rogenbier which is a rye-style hef that i prefer to regular weizenboch's and trying it in a commercial aspect is very tasty!

buy it, especially cause its a good price!

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Bomber purchased at DaveCo in Thornton, CO for $4.50, poured into New Belgium globe glass.

a - pours a crystal clear but fairly dark ruby-brown. Gorgeous color, but a fairly aggressive pour yields only a 1/2 finger off-white head with average retention. Leaves a thin, delicate lacing all down the glass.

s - very pleasing. Toffee, caramel, and that rye spiciness. Rather sticky but well-balanced by fruity, floral, spicy hops. This beer seems very fruity to me, with cherry and other dark fruits, citrus, and some other brighter fruitiness I assume is due to yeast esters.

t - possibly even better than the nose. Everything mentioned there is still present, but the rye spiciness is stronger than perceived in the aroma, and there's also strong toasted and faint roasted notes. The black cherry and rye flavors go great together. Hops come on strong throughout, and the finish is long, bitter, and boozy.

m - medium-bodied, fairly bubbly, and slightly astringent. Creamy, but not thick. Normally I like beers that feel a bit more... substantial than this one, but I think that the bright, aggressive palate lends itself well to this feel.

d - great, considering the ABV and the wealth of flavors. My stomach/tongue's tolerance would probably exceed my brain's.

I bought this one a whim, because it was cheap, because Bear Republic doesn't distribute in my home state of New Mexico, and because I tend to like rye beers. I was not expecting much, but I'm blown away. This definitely has me eager to sample more offerings from this brewer when I get the chance.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

22 oz bottle poured into Sierra Nevada tulip glass.

A- Deep, deep reddish amber color that I wish more IPAs could pull off. Decent head that left moderate lacing.

S- Everything I love about West Coast IPAs is here: grapefruit/citrus, zesty, piney. The rye cuts in nicely as well.

T- Just incredible. Bitter then sweet, bold yet balanced. The malt sneaks in late more as the beer warms. That tangy rye bite I was hoping for balances the rest really, really nicely.

M- In general, I find the major drawback to a good IPA is a lingering astringent/acidic "stripping" in the mouth. It seems like the better a beer tastes, the more pronounced this effect. With all the huge flavors in Hop Rod Rye, I was expecting that here but NO! This beer is so clean and smooth on the finish.

D- I am thrilled that this is a year-round release. I will have many, many more of these.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Despite it's tacky looking label, the inexpensive Hop Rod Rye is a formidable ale that hits both levels of hops and malt and issuing a nice flavor profile. The micro sediment is barely noticeable in its nice amber tone. And even though I was the dumbass who sniffed this one too close and got a nostril full of head to bring some water to my eyes, I am not judging the "smell" because of this. The scent is light, semi-sweet, and gives but a hint of what the flavor really can bring. For the price and the availability, the Hop Rod Rye is definitely worth its merit. . . Just don't snort the damn thing. . .

4.91/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass
L: Dense amber.
Slightly cloudy.
Lots of stuff floating in there :-)
Rich, cream colored head
S: Caramelized sugar.
T: Sweet and malty at first, but they don't linger.
Finishes clean with a touch of pleasant bitterness.
Trying to learn what flavors rye adds to a beer, and I think the aftertaste of Hop Rod Rye is a good example.
F: In spite of the strong caramel smell and taste, this is a medium bodied beer.
Well carbonated.
O: I really like this beer. Some people may be put off by the floaties in the glass, but it tastes great. And what's more important, how it looks or how it tastes?

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Nice dark brown color

S: a lot of pine and citrus coming off this one

T: Very bitter, and it stays with you, dont
get as much of the rye I was hoping for

M: good balance, not too thin or too heavy

D: Good, but a bit expensive, distinctive taste
for an IPA

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Smells of aromatic hops, bread... A mild pine sandwich.

Hoppy bite, heavy malts. Big hop and alcohol finish, malts are an undertone the whole way, but still strong. Warming up reveals fruit, mild boisenberry.

Mouthfeel is a thorough coating. Thick soapy aftertaste and sweet on the front of the roof of the mouth.

Definitely a sipping brew. The mouthcoating hits on too many different spots like pressure points that it takes a few seconds to mentally digest each swallow.

A strong Rye IPA, definitely not an every day thing for me but a strong showing definitely worth checking out.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Large light tan sticky head. Very dark deep amber body.

S: Sweet hoppy smell. Hint of something else sweet, like caramel.

T: Subtle hops. A little less so than the smell. Extremely balanced hop/malt/yeast flavor. Slightly bitter. A little pine aftertaste.

M: Rich, fills the mouth. Perfect combination, not dry.

O: Outstanding IPA. Darker, richer and more balanced than I am used to.

Not going to give the same ole type of review for Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. No way! This is my most favorite beer in all the lands. From the opening aromas of rye and hops gently wafting into the air, to the wonderful dark pour and oh so wonderful rocky, creamy, off white head that stays with you like a best friend, and leaving the most wonderful lace, to the malty/bready/caramel rye flavor and truly perfect balance of hops and carbonation, to the finish that begs you to take another sip, this beer is king. Bear Republic is a brewer that has never let me down. Hop Rod Rye is hoppy rye heaven in a bottle!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Burnt orange in color, this beer loves an aggressive pour. Great head retention with multiple pours. Looks tasty.

Smell is wonderfully hoppy and citrusy (if that's a word). Perhaps my favorite smelling beer.

Taste is powerful for an IPA. A little rough, perhaps the rye. Long, lingering bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is clean, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability? You bet. Goes down easy.

This beer is one of my favorites. The taste is different than your typical IPA (in a good way).

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Out of a bomber into a tulip. Pours deep mahogany with amber around the edges of the glass. One finger of beige head recedes but leaves solid lacing.
Smell is a hoppy dream. Pineapple, pine, with grapefruit acidity.
Creamy smooth flavor leads with the sweetness but then comes the rye notes and finishes with a long resiny hoppy bitterness
Great creamy mouthfeel with dry finish
Drinkability is tricky given this is really a DIPA at 8%. But the bomber really never stood a chance

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heavy hop slam with a great malt flavor I'm sure it has something to do with the rye volume. Nicely done here, especially since I've been burnt out on ipa lately. Still has the hop resin I love, but presents in a sweeter light.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

This is one you simply have to try if you haven't allready.Had a 20 oz draft. When served just a perfect frothy head with excellant retention. A beautiful ruby brown color. Aroma is all hops with a light piney aroma.Lots of hop flavor but balanced well as a roasted rye flavor is not hidden. Smooth and creamlike on the tongue with a carbonation level that is right on. Could probably have several of these but the higher A.B.V. would be tough to handle unless just staying at home.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Deep amber with 3 fingers of foam that lasted forever.

S- Usual suspects pine and citrus with a little spice.

T- Caramel malt, can really taste the rye, very good. Great balance, the hop bitterness goes well with the 18% rye.

M- Coats the tongue nicely but not too much

D- The balance, smoothness, and mouthfeel make this beer very drinkable.

Get this beer!

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice mohagony color. Lacing is outstanding just like the Ipa. If you didn't read the bottle you would never know this one had 8% alcohol. Great tasting beer, in which one can get in trouble with. Bear Republic, make some very good IPAs. These I would consider to session beers, because you can drink more than one because of the great taste. If anyone hasn't tried Bear Republic than they should, awesome double IPA. I want to state something about Bear Republics IPAs, they are dangerous, they are enjoyable to drink and one can drink one after the other. Awesome beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

App. It poured a lovely red/brown w/ a good amount of small bubbles forming a lasting light tan head. The lacing lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Sml. Delicious! Rich! It has a heavy malt smell with pleasant rye/wheat bread notes. There are hints of caramel and honey, spice, and breakfast cereal in there. This mixes w/ the incredibly fragrant hop aromas. We found citrus (grapefruit), mint, and cinnamon. (My kids help with the smelling phase.)

Taste Wow! There is a lot going on in that bottle, a lot of good stuff. First I though of the sprouted grain breads that you can buy in health food stores, especially the ones with dried fruit. There is a big malt base that's followed by a rye sourness. Then the hops hit with bitter and herbs and pine. A great balance, it all works together. I don't feel that any one thing overpowers, but I like sour. The after taste stays with you, and you want more.

MF. This beer has a thickness and weight and the carbonation seems just right. The after taste is quite dry considering the malty feel.

Drinkability- Huge tastes, I will be going back for more.

This went well with our pasta and sauce. Then after with two stinky artesian goat cheeses form VT and English wheat biscuits, also paired nicely with an organic sharp cheddar from Nieghborly farm.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

In Ohio besides Columbus IPA and Sierra Nevada Torpedo this is the next best selection at most Giant Eagles, Whole Foods and etc.

However I live in California and have a much wider selection to choose from and this is not one that I would regularly pick up.

Its definitely worth trying if you have never had it before, just to put it on your list of IPA's.

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.