Hop Rod Rye | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Hop Rod RyeHop Rod Rye

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American IPA

A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character.

2009 California State Fair – GOLD
2003 California State Fair – GOLD
2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

Added by Quaffer on 03-27-2002

Ratings: 4,720 |  Reviews: 2,079

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Pours a dark copper color with a nice creamy head. Laced nicely down the glass as I drank it. The sweet maltiness hits me at first then followed by the bitter dry hops. Awesome hoppiness flavor in this one. Very smooth for a 8% beer. Will be buying this one again when looking for a hoppy treat.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-browh body with a pillowy beige head and excellent, long-lasting lacing.

Smell: A truly gorgeous aroma of toasted caramel and sweet brown sugar. Full, gorgeous notes of pine and grapefruit. There's rye in the scent, too, but I expected more. Still, if someone can beat that aroma I'll give them a shiny new quarter.

Taste: Big, rich caramel (and brown sugar) sweetness marked by heavy hop accents of grapefruit and pine and the apparent taste of rye. Also, a little bit of vanilla in there as well. Tangy rye-ish, sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Excellent texture and carbonation.

Drinkability: An expertly crafted, wonderful beer. Marvelous!

Shiny new quarter. Seriously.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

What a impressive amber to red color with superior clarity! Fluffy white head retains well all the way down.

Smell: Hops & More hops, floral and spicy with some maltiness coming through with each pop of the bubbily head.

Taste: Bitterness is best descibed as piney and tart (may be attributible to the rye). Malty swwetness and some smokiness (hickory) sneaks through.

Big fat maltniess and and prickly hopiness provide ideal balance

Despite its strength I could drink this until sleepy! Only had 2 from bear republic ( black bear stout, being the other), but Iam ho(p)ping for more!

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Four finger beige head with large bubbles. This condenses into a long lasting tight head that leaves decent lace. The brew is reddish-orange brown and clear.

Very strong hop bouquet--fresh! Very inviting.

Full bodied and flavored with excellent malt flavors that quickly recede to the hop bite. I don't really detect the rye, but the liquor is quite dry and astringent. The aftertaste is long-lasting hop bitterness--my breath seems to have become the hop bouquet of the aroma.

An excellent double IPA--hop-heads rejoice.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass

A: Pours a deep maroon/mahogany color with a nice off white head. There is thick patchy lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A really nice combination of hops and citrus along with malt and thick caramel aroma.

T: Like the nose, a great combination of hops and malt, with the citrus upfront and then the malt with notes of the caramel and rye to balance it out.

M/D: Medium bodied beer with good carbonation. Overall I really enjoyed this beer, there is no evidence of the 8% abv at all, and drinking this one could get dangerous fast. I look forward to getting it again.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Sanguineous antique bronze. Hop Rod Rye is chock full of fine particulates which create a lovely prism for the late afternoon sun slanting through my front window and cause the beer to explode with warm color. Perched atop the liquid is a creamystiff cap of pale tangerine that only an outrageously hoppy beer could produce. A perfect, rounded mesa of heavy cream awaits disruption, but not until I spend a few more moments enjoying the beautiful array of filagreed lace that sticks with impressive tenacity to the glass.

Hops, hops and more hops. And then some more. This is one of the most hop-dominant noses on any DIPA in existence. Too often beer of this style is balanced, as if balance is the Holy Grail of all beerdom. Well screw balance. It appears as if Bear Republic has given the most hopheaded among us what we crave. If the flavor follows the nose... we have a winner. Since brown sugary grapefruit and orange practically leap out of the glass, I feel pretty safe in saying that at least one, and probably multiple, of the 'C' hops are in use.

This is my kind of DIPA. I can't figure out why it continues to be classified as an IPA with such a high ABV and such a juggernaut of a hop load. There's plenty of sweet, toasted caramel flavor that does its best to keep the hops in line. Balance, shmalance. What kicks Hop Rod into orbit is the use of a not insignificant amount of rye malt that sets it apart from just about every DIPA that I've ever had.

As far as I'm concerned, rye is an underutilized grain in brewing. In the same way that it gives bourbon its spicy kick (except for Maker's Mark and a few others that use corn, barley and wheat instead of the usual corn, barley and rye), it gives this beer an exotic, piquant spiciness that is complemented by a citrusy thwack! from the hops and a sugary pine needle bite. A long, mouthcoating finish is borne of a full, chewy mouthfeel and nearly unnoticed carbonation.

I can't say enough good things about Bear Republic. Each and every beer is top-notch and is a marvel of the brewer's art. Hop Rod Rye is an intense, fantastically delicious DIPA and instantly leaps to within sight of the summit on my 'most favored beers of all-time' list. Wow!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful maple syrup with a creamy head that holds up well and leaves a crazy lace.

S - Big citrus/west-coast hops.

T - Definitely delivers. This is a rye-IPA if I've ever had one. Bright, green-wood hops. Rye, black pepper, and warming booze. Coriander. Mild molasses-like sweetness.

M - Medium/full body with a pleasant carbonation. Lightly spicy finish with a nice dry/sweet balance.

O - A great rye beer. Probably my second favorite to date after Cane and Ebel.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

On-tap at Anam Cara, stated that it was 7.7% abv … I have seen people say that it is 7.5%-8.0%.

Superb frothy head with an unyielding retention. Perfect clarity showing a deep reddish mahogany colour. Massive hop aroma, clean and pungent going from piney to grapefruit rind. A hint of spicy rye in the nose as well.

Lush crispness with a creamy back in the full body … I swear it was massaging my tongue. I felt the malt covering the palate but the hops are too much to handle … in a good way. So much hop flavour and the bitterness was spot on, when the beer warmed up a bit the spiciness of the rye came through as well as some caramel maltiness.

By far one of the best west coast beers I have had to date.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Hop Rod Rye

So I have made it, here it is, my 400th beer review! Wow, thats alot of beer! I was deciding last week on what to have for this as I knew it was coming up. I wanted something good, but I am saving something real special for my 500th(always looking ahead), My decision was made easy when I fionally landed a bottle of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye! I had been waiting forever to try this beer. It just seemed like something I had to go for, right up my alley so to speak, and I just knew I would eventually land one. So when it came time, I knew just where to turn, to the fire painted hot rod on the front of the bottle, which would bring me a whole lotta hops! So onto the beer....

A - Poured a very deep hazy burned amber. This thing literally looked like a burgundy, great great hue on this one. One of the biggest, thickest, gooiest, stickiest off white, tannish colored head I have ever seen in a beer. This thing was huge, an easy three plus talls with a ton, an absolute ton of residual side glass lace dripping down the side. It was completely obscured throughout the session. Great carbonation was visible leaching up from the bottom of the glass, almost immediatly and lasted to the bitter end. For appearence, absolutly perfect. I could not have made this look better, and thats the damn truth, Fives all around for the pour on this one.

S - Wow, just a deep citrus sweet hoppy aroma. Not overpowering, just luxiuosly rich smelling. A slight touch of alcohol in the aroma in the beginning. Such a complexity rarely found in the nig IPS's, usually they are just overloaded with hops to the point that its like grapefruit gone made. This was much more blended and refined. Had alot of amlt backing and that was evident even from the smell. Lots of orange peel, and tangerine, mixed with a nice caramel sweetness and a touch of some earthy grain, very nice indeed.

T - Awesome, just such a nice blend between the hops and the malts made this so damn pleasurable. Major flavors from the start were bitter grapefruit and orange, with some candied sugar. Balanced perfectly with a touch of caramel and a really nice grainy sort of ceral back. No weakness or watered down taste here, in fact, this has to be one of the most complex and finaely crafted IPA's I have ever tasted. It just seemed to have such depth and character. A ton of time had to go into getting this flavor right, as it was damn right. I relly could have drank this forever. As it warmed it lost some of the alchol punch and just seemed to get more blended together. Great dry finish and a long, I mean very long bitter lingering aftertaste. I could still taste this one like a full 5 minutes later, wow, damn fine tasting brew, for sure...

M - This was just remarkably smooth and consistent. Very sticky at first on the gums and teeth, but that soon passed. Great carbonation really let the flavors pop. It just danced around on the palate soo smoothly, very awesome feel. Light enough to be drnk consistently, but thick enough to be a sipper if you needed it.

D -Outstanding, one of the finest beers I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. I would stock the fridge, or buy a keg of this in a heartbeat. Just cannot say enough good things about it.

Overall I really do not know what elseI can say. I loved every second of this beer. Really just fantastic, and worthy of my 400th review, or my 1000th!!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

I purchased this growler at Cobbblestones in York. Poured chilled into a Guinness tulip.

A - a beautiful garnet color with very good clarity and foamy light tan head .

S - Buttloads of citrus w/ a high amount of grapefruity goodness and a subtle caramel malt sweetness in the nose

M - For an agressively hopped beer there is a nice amount of creamy and sweet texture from the malt.

T - A nice sweet orange rind sour and bitter hop flavor up front that relaxes slowly into a spicy and grapefruit-like flavor. The light caramel and a lovely floral hop layered beneath the citrus and subtle rye edge is splendid

D - The drinkability of this beer is extremely good. I drank several pints from the growler in one sitting. I consider the combination of flavors delightful but the abv is the only thing that keeps it from a '5'

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep red/amber color with two inches of off white head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of pine and citrus hops, sweet malts, and some fruit. Apples come out a lot.

t - Tastes mostly of the pine and citrus hops. Decent amount of bitterness in the taste. Little bit of fruity malts towards the end.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good IPA. Lots of nice pine and citrus hops in the smell and taste, but defintely well balanced and not a hop bomb. Very easy to drink and would definitely try again.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

My local trader, tone77, and I did another pick-up/drop-off the other day and this time our roles were reversed - I dropped off while he was at work. More bottles for me to keep the numbers aligned with The CANQuest (TM). So be it!

From the bottle: "Hop Rod Rye is a high performance, turbo charged, alcohol burnin' monster ale with dual overhead hop injection, made with 18% rye."; "Brew Master Notes - Don;t drink & drag. Sediment at bottlom of bottle may be the result of the truckload of hops in this non-filtered ale."

I do not understand how I have never reviewed this beer until now. I even visited them with UncleJedI and PurpleHatJoan and they sent me a patch for the latest jacket. It is time to make this right!

My slow, gentle pour still got me a finger of light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity, thanks to my pour. I will stir up the lees at the end to see what I get. Nose was grapefruit and black pepper, owing to both the copious hops and all of the rye. Man, but the mouthfeel was full, with a spicy intensity that makes me want to remind you to be sitting down when drinking this beer! That was a Public Service Announcement, courtesy of yours truly. Stone likes to think that we are "not worthy", but even as a self-avowed hophead, I may not be worthy of this one. It just exploded in my mouth with citrus and black pepper and swallowing did not help, since it was so dry that I immediately gasped and reached for the water. Oh my! To say that this was good would be an understatement. Put another way - it may not be for everyone, but if you like American IPAs and you appreciate what rye can do for a beer, you should try this beer, if you haven't already. I have a feeling that this review at this stage is either a) gilding the lily or b) preaching to the choir or c) some of both.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A: A dark amber color with a good white head (pretty good lacing, too).

S: Very citrusy from the hops with some pine as well, you can smell the rye in this (well, I'm assuming that "different" smell was the rye, as this is the first rye beer I've had), and also some caramel.

T: Very hoppy at the beginning, but a very pleasant switch to caramel/sweet and then bitter on the finish. A very different taste from the rye, and I found this to be quite enjoyable.

M: Not too much carbonation and a nice medium-to-full body on the beer.

D: Excellent. Well, it's not exactly an easy drinking beer, but it's really tasty, so you will want to drink more of it.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to GrindfatherBob for the bottle!

Appearance - Deep amber body with a nice off-white head. Lacing is good. It's quite dark. I guess I think it's an IPA, but it doesn't look like an IPA.

Smell - Strong hops of pine and citrus, but quite a bit of caramel malt as well. It's interesting that both flavors manage to come out quite strongly. Behind the front flavors is a biscuit and toast malt aroma.

Taste - Hops, of course. Citrus hops, but the pine hops are accentuated by the rye spice, so it doesn't taste quite as fruity. There is a hint of sweetness that is balanced nicely by the rye as well. It's an interesting addition. The bitter finish also complements the toastiness.

Mouthfeel - Feels like a DIPA, but apparently it isn't. Nice and thick. All the flavors linger.

Overall - Tough to categorize this, but the flavors all work together nicely. It doesn't look all that appealing, but it smells great and goes down nicely.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic Brewing Co.