Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oso Negro | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

4.25/5
Outstanding

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

RBSG09 on tap at the brewpub. Pours a dark clear brown with a creamy tan head. Aroma is cocoa with some roasted coffee and a hint of caramel. Lots of chocolate malt balls in the flavor along with caramel that melts into a roasty finish with moderate bitterness. Better than expected.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Really surprised that more NorCal heads haven't reviewed this, and also that it's listed as an Amber / Red Lager. This is a real dunkel, and the brewery described it as a "Mexican Dark Lager". I put in a request for a change.

After I was impressed with the 3 oz. sample, I put in for a 10 oz. glass, which was served in a tulip. Dark brown with hazelnut highlights. Beautiful color, but no real head (could have been the pour) and when I roused one up, it didn't stick.

The glass may have helped the enchanting aromas -- sweet and roasty. Toffee predominated; some spicy hop hanging around in there.

Toffee on the tongue too -- I'd say a medium diacetyl presence that tasted great along with the dark malts. Caramel, a bit of roasted nuts. Yum. I'm a bit of a malt man, which helps, but I really enjoyed this beer.

Only gripe is that it was a bit sticky on the palate, when I think of a lager I expect a bit crisper finish. In an ideal world, Negra Modelo would taste like this, but have the same mouthfeel. This is slightly less drinkable, but it's so tasty it doesn't really matter.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Yum, i've had a couple good dark lagers this summer, the first that I can ever remember having aside from Negro Modelo. It's a style I have been thoroughly enjoying.

Frist take at the aroma was toffee, then I got some standard lager cereal grain and yeast in there. It has a nice rich roastiness...or maybe toastiness?

Taste threw me off with almost a nut brown thing going on. Taste of toasted almonds or hazelnut, remining me of Rogue's Hazelnut brown, but lighter and crisper more metallic hops. Some burnt caramel (and creme brule) sweetness.

Again, a very interesting style that I'm glad a few breweries are tackling.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this beer as part of a flight of samples at the Healdsburg, California restaurant. From tap and in 3oz sample glasses.

A-Dark amber beer with a nice light head

S-caramel and roasted malt smell

T-very well balanced between the roast and sweetness of the malts and light hop flavor.

M-medium and very smooth

D-Love this beer. I wish I could find it in bottles on the east coast. I think this is one of BR's best beers (yes, even better that Racer 5).

Oso Negro from Bear Republic Brewing Co.