Black Racer | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Black RacerBlack Racer

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Black Ale

Black Racer™ blends Bear Republic's love of hops with the Pacific Northwest's appreciation for dark ales. Our pit crew brews this award winning ale which boldly defines a new frontier of flavors and always maintains pole position. Race to the Dark Side™.

Bronze 2011 Great American Beer Festival American-Style Black Ale
Gold 2012 World Beer Cup American-Style Black Ale

Added by avaldivia on 07-27-2011

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Black Racer is a dark chocolate fudge color. It’s not pitch black. Plenty of light cuts through and reveals burgundy highlights throughout. Nice color nonetheless. It’s capped with an off-white head that rises to about a finger in height. Relatively modest. It scales back to a surface covering quickly. As it descends, it leaves a lighter, sticky coat of lace trailing down the glass.

It certainly smells good! Starts out with a mix of chocolate and citric hops. It’s a good mix. The malt base smells like cocoa, dark chocolate, light caramel, and perhaps a touch of roasted malts. It’s more diverse than I expected. Roasted coffee or espresso is definitely in the mix. Smells a little burnt. The hops have a mix of citric and piney scents. Grapefruit and orange are the strongest. The malts and hops complement each other really well. Alcohol isn’t all that noticeable. Smells really good!

The flavor starts out with a blend of light caramel, dark chocolate, and cocoa flavors. It’s a little sweet, but not all that much. The chocolate flavor is definitely more of the darker variety rather than sweet milk chocolate. It tastes a little burnt, like espresso. That’s nice a nice touch. It’s subtle, but is a big positive. The hops are very flavorful, featuring citrus grapefruit and orange flavors primarily. There is a bit of pine that follows. It’s definitely bitter. Despite the wealth of malt, there’s not much balance. It’s honestly a bit resiny and perhaps too bitter. All of the flavors come together really well. This is good stuff. Alcohol is there, but never comes across as very strong. Finishes with a blast of citric hop flavors and cocoa. Did I mention it’s dry? Very dry?

The body is medium. Carbonation seems light and soft. It’s pretty smooth and easy drinking for a big beer. This bomber won’t be much of a problem.

Black Racer is good beer. It’s one hell of a bitter, hoppy Black IPA…that’s for sure. If you’re looking for balance here, keep looking. Having said that, it is tasty beer. Really tasty. Easy recommendation.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a gift from Ms. Vaccaro on my latest visit to Mari's 6-Pac 'n' Mor in Reading and I promised her that I would not drink nor review it right away. I guess that I have waited long enough.

From the bottle: "Black Racer™ blends Bear Republic's love of hops with the Pacific Northwest's appreciation for dark ales. Our pit crew brews this award winning ale which boldly defines a new frontier of flavors and always maintains pole position."; "Race to the Dark Side."; "Brew Master Notes Keep cold, respect life, real ale is alive, yeast is good, serve at 45 - 50 [deg.] F."; "Sonoma County Ales Come visit us at our pub & brewery".

My pour netted a dense finger of light-brown head with good retention as the light faded in the gloaming. Color was cola-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was roasty and smoky with an underlying mintiness from the hops. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was liquid Andes chocolate-mint candy! Finish was liquid York Peppermint Patty. Taste the sensation while it is still available in limited release. This was probably one of the best of this style, IMHO.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

On-tap served in a pint glass

A - Black with a slight ruby tint, with a 1.5 finger ecru head with excellent lacing and good head retention.

S - Big hoppy citrus notes of grapefruit and orange with a lot of pine and some malts and toasted oats. Very nice.

T - Follows the nose, excellent flavor with chocolate and roasted coffee but a lot of hops. I really like this.

M - Full body, moderate carbonation.

T - One of the best at this brewery!!!!

Had it again at the first ABS meeting (second season) bottled, man this beer is awesome. I can tell my palate continues to evolve, I love this one even more the second time around.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Black Racer from Bear Republic Brewing Co.