Racer X Double IPA | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA
4.22/5
Exceptional
Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD

Added by xlperro on 01-13-2003

Ratings: 2,180 |  Reviews: 512

Having had the X recommended to me over a year ago before a trip to San Francisco, it wasn't until having Racer 5 at home after the trip that I realized how much I had likely missed out on by not finding this beer in SF in the first place.

Well, now I know for sure what I was missing, and OH MAN, it is tasty. I had a nice pint of this bad boy and it came to me with a thin, but cloudy head, after a few minutes of walking from the bar to my table (I sent my wife-- another plus). A light caramel color, not as light as a typical IPA, but by no means too dark. And hazy... ahh the haze that is a sure sign that you've got a doozie of an Imperial IPA.

Each drink of this filled my palate with hops, but not just hops a clean soapy tingly hops that quenched my thirst yet demanded another sip almost immediately, leaving behind perfect lacing with each sip.

Not at all is it detectable that this clocks in at 9%. It's is very drinkable. If there weren't so many good beers to try at Naja's the night I tried this, I could have drunk it for hours. Any chance you have to drink this, do it. And if you can get a growler, bring it to a BBQ or the beach and just drink away. Bring a designated driver though, because this will send you over the moon, as you won't wanna stop.

Smooth, drinkable, bitter and delicious... Were it as available as 90 minute IPA, perhaps Beer Advocate would have a tough competition for number one!

2012 "Vintage"

A: Beautiful copper-golden-orange color with the expected soapy, bubbly, frothy, sticky, bright white head leaving behind amazing lace and good, bubbly retention. Gorgeous brew. Disclaimer: will become hazy due to sediment if you choose to pour the entire contents of the bottle. In my opinion, I think it contributes to this beer, but I don't always pour the yeast into the glass.

S: My nose is about six inches away from the pint glass as I write this review and I'm experiencing a sensory overload already. Huge burst of fresh, citrusy (mostly grapefruit), and grassy hops. Sweet, slightly roasted malt and sugary, almost buttery booze complements to truly balance this beer out. BR wasn't kidding when they said this will be balanced. As for the taste...

T: Exactly the same as the nose but a bit boozier and maltier which is perfect for the style. Nothing overpowers. Just a wonderful balance of fresh, juicy, fruity, resiny hops, sweet, sugary malt, and incredibly smooth, delicious booze. Top notch stuff.

M: The essence of smooth, sweet, and balanced. The flavors are incredible, the feel is as smooth as any beer I've had in recent memory, and the finish is exquisite. Resiny, dry, bitter hop oils cling to the palate to remind you this is a big IPA while deliciously sweet, tasty malt and booze slide down your throat.

O: Now this is a Double IPA! Bear Republic absolutely nailed this style on the head. I wish I could drink another bomber, but I'd probably be trashed. Everything I expect from this style. You must drink this!

Note: I know all 5's should be rare, but at the moment (this is my first beer of the day), this is absolutely top class. I do not see anything wrong with it in my expectations for the style. In my opinion, a Double/Imperial IPA should have three things...hops, malt, and booze. This exemplifies all three in the most balanced way possible. I feel comfortable giving this beer straight 5's.

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.22 out of 5 with 2,180 ratings