Racer X Double IPA | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Racer X Double IPARacer X Double IPA

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Racer X is an uncommon Double India Pale Ale which puts a California twist on English brewing traditions by adding an assertive hop aroma and bitterness that compliments the firm malt backbone. Like its little brother Racer 5, Racer X is balance in a bottle.

2009 California State Fair – BRONZE
2009 San Diego International Beer Competition – 2nd
2009 West Coast Beer Fest - GOLD

Added by xlperro on 01-13-2003

Reviews: 507 | Ratings: 2,146
4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Draft to snifter. I have to admit before I start this review, I've been waiting to try this one for some time...and anticipation never works to the favor of a beer in its review. Looks good; burnt-orange in appearance. Smells great. The hops kick you in the sinuses. Tastes good. His is where my anticipation hurt this beer. There are very few "A" beers in my mind, and I had hopes that didn't quite match up. Mouthfeel is good too, but a little warm. Overall, a good brew...just not a phenomenal one.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A very big thanks to tpd975 who shared this at a tasting I randomly showed up at in Tampa. I have always wanted to try this beer. Pours a deep burnt orange color with a decent with head resting atop. Heads sticks around a while, and has the requisite lacing from a well made beer. A very strong earthy/pine hops aroma, and not sure if this was due to its journey, but a bit of a sour aroma too. What the beer lacked in hop aroma was made up in the taste, strong hops here. Well made in that the hops are balance with a strong malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel, but none of that dry hop aftertaste makes this very drinkable for a style that can many times not be.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the first bottling of Racer X into a snifter.

A- a dark amber color with little head.

S- tropical fruits, banana, mango, citrus, bubblegum.

T- fruity pebbles, mango, very small malt profile, grapefruit, pineapple.

M- mild carbonation with a nice bitterness.

O- This is my first time trying this beer. It is also the first time this beer has been bottled. I am really enjoying this beer and it helps that is is super fresh. The only downside is that I payed 9 dollars a bottle....otherwise awesome flavor and drinkability

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice amber color to this. Sticky head, almost looks sugary. The smell is full of pine, very strong pine. Think Pinesol and you are awfully close. The taste follows the smell very closely. It's a knockout combo of in your face hop pine and subtle malt. Not balanced at all, but that is a good thing in this case. Mouthfeel is nice and sticky. Average drinkability due to high ABV and hop profile.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly darker than a normal IPA. Flowery and hoppy smell. Great taste. Lots going on. Great amount of bitter without being too much. I would recommend this one for sure. Wasn't sure that I would like one better than Racer V from Bear Republic but this one is right up there with it.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Cracked this open over a long night at work. Thanks again kojevergas for the trade. bottle doesnt seem to have a date on it, but is labeled 2012 vintage. poured into a SA perfect pint

a- pours a ruby gold orange color with barely off white head that falls pretty quickly leaving some nice lacing at the top of the glass. looks like a dipa should.

s- tropical sweetness and some bready malt. not a huge nose for a dipa

t- sweetness initially fades to juicy tropical fruit, a little lemon peel maybe, some bitter piney hops with some sweet malty goodness. finish comes with more hop bitterness. a very balanced dipa, not too huge in the malt or hop aspects, just sort of middle of the road balance. a very tasty beer

m- nice coating mouthfeel. a little oily texture. nice bitter finish. alcohol isnt really present, although at 8.5% i wouldnt expect it to be really huge.

overall, a very nice example of a dipa. like its little brother, it is very balanced in all aspects. too bad I cant get it around here, otherwise it would be a nice brew to grab any time.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

The Beers of California

#25

Bottled Date: "Vintage 2012"

A: Golden orange with a good amount of sediment and a scant of off white head which leaves behind little lace on the glass.

S: Bright nose with fresh grass, pine, juicy grapefruit along with tropical fruit notes. Background sugary sweetness.

T: Big palate of pine needles, ruby grapefruit, and spicy bitterness interspersed with touches of pineapples and even mango sweetness. Backbone of bready, sugary malt with a faint warming alcohol finish once the hop bitterness fades.

M: Moderate body with ample carbonation and linger.

O: A lot of excitement giving this brew a first time go after picking it up at a local Whole Foods. A great showcase of big hop flavors. I hope to see this brew out in bottle form more often. Bear Republic is one of the stand out NorCal breweries which puts out excellent, worthy ales.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Translucent light amber with a small off white head and a little lacing.

S - Citrus hops and malt sweetness.

T - Bitterness if up front with a strong citrus flavor leading back into a bitter hop flavor. Like a stronger Racer 5.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - Very bitter and drying at a moderate ABV so I guess that means I'll be drinking a lot of it.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a growler from capones for 6/2 phish show. Been looking fwd to trying this beer for a while now. Poured into a standard pint glass in the parking lot. Darker color than I expected, very amber, reddish. Thick soapy 2 finger head after the pour. Smelled very hoppy, citrus, toffee, orange, sugary, really nice aroma. Semi thick mouthfeel, seemed a little syrupy and boozy at times. Carbonation was very nice for being in a growler for a few hours, I had no complaints. Had 3 pints and I was feeling good, which was my plan. Not sure what the abv % is but it packs a punch after a few. As it warmed I could taste the alcohol more and more. Overall it was a very good offering. I am a big fan of the racer 5 so I was glad to try the double. Looking fwd to having this again at the TJ's ballast point vs bear republic face off. the racer X is a nice find for the hopheads out there, recommended. Cheers.

Pours a dark orange to light brown color with a huge foamy white head. The beer is cloudy and there is quite a bit of thick lacing. The odor is a pleasant IPA scent, with grapefruit, lemon, orange, tropical fruits, apricot, mango, pine, malt, resin, some honey as well. The taste is very fruity, apricot, orange, grapefruit, pine, resin, with some bitterness throughout.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Came in a tulip glass at Sacbrew. Deep clear Copper in color 1.5 finger head, lots of lacing in the glass.

S- Big piney hops in the nose. Lots of fresh forest pine smell with a good amount of citrus. Sweet malt comes through towards the end.

T- Very good DIPA hope taste. Lots of Pine and citrus just like the smell. The Taste is a quite pleasing balance of pine and citrus when the sweet malts start to kick in. The finish is a sweet malt with touches of hop spice.

M- Medium-Full Body, Plenty of carbonation. Finish could be a touch more dry to improve

O- This is a very good DIPA, It will give you the bitter fix you need and has enough malt back bone to keep it standing up.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle Pours a clear golden with a fizzy white head, that produces good lacing and lasts fairly well. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce. Has an oily texture with good carbination. Has a real good duration with a nice strong bitter finish.This is what I love in an IPA. Bold and powerfull. Very well done. Has a very smooth ability to hit you with a solid bitterness. I highly recommend this one

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Racer X Poured into a Speak Easy pint glass.

A - Not to much head on the pour into the glass and the head quickly fades away and creates a small ring of foam around the glass. The color is of a darker honey and a few bubbles forming on the bottom.

S - Hops and citrus the smell is pretty subdued compared to a lot of double IPAs.

T - Really tasty not overly hopped but finishes off with a bit of cherry after tones. The first initial sips seem to have citrus notes in them and then hops hit me and then it finishes well with berry notes.

M - would like more carbonation in this with some more bubbles.

O - Really tasty double IPA and it isn't super abv fueled it is nice and balanced i know i am going to be drinking a few bombers of this before it is gone.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Had on tap at The Stable in St Louis. Poured into imperial pint glass. Pours a deep dark red with an inch of frothy head. Smell is very piney. Taste is kind of a shock, not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting. Dry pine and slight citrus flavors are mostly concealed by the biscuitlike maltiness. This beer tastes great but it wasn't what I expected. Medium mouthfeel that really dries out your tongue. Good drinkability. A very good beer but I expected a little more.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this on tap at Bottleworks upon a rare Seattle appearance. I had long anticipated this as a fan of its little brother, Racer 5. It turned out to be exactly what I thought --- a hopped-up version of Racer 5.

I would compare it to Pliny the Elder but a little more balanced. Piney and grapefruity aroma with a hint of malty sweetness. The taste followed the smell. My only concern was that it was very, very dry --- too dry. Maybe it was the fact that I had just gotten off of work and hit Bottleworks on my way home. I hadn't had anything to eat and the mouthfeel didn't hit me quite right.

I hope to see this again for another try.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I took an "extended" lunch one day to visit Capone's before this keg kicked in order to give a more fair and balanced review of a beer I felt didn't hold up as well in a growler as it did in my 4oz. tasting the day I filled my jug.

A: Served in a pint tumbler. Color is a cloudy deep amber color with a one finger head of dense off-white foam. Great retention and phenomenal sticky lacing that clings to the side of the glass all the way down.

S: This beer has an absolutely wonderful aroma. Rich, juicy citrus (superhuge nose of grapefruit) and piney hops are complemented with a nice floral bouquet. For me this is the best part of this beer.

T: Wonderful balance of grapefruit sweetness and piney bitterness. The malt backbone is a supporting player, as it should be, and provides a nice, long aftertaste. You can tell this beer is a hop bomb, but a nicely balanced bomb. ABV is deceptive, and could sneak up on you if you're not careful.

M: Pleasant smooth carbonation, nice refreshing tingle on the sides and tip of the tongue. What I believe to be dead-on for the style.

D: As I mentioned earlier, BR manages to hide the ABV in this beer quite well, making it highly drinkable. Eventually it will catch up with you, so any more than 3 might be a problem for a normal-sized person. Overall I found this to be MUCH better on draft than in a growler. Why? Who knows, maybe my jug wasn't clean enough, maybe I let it sit for too long before drinking it. Either way, I'm glad I went back to do this beer justice, and am happy that I had the chance to begin with. Thanks, Matt!

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this one on tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, NJ.

A- Thin white film head. Clear amber/ copper body. Some carbonation rising in the glass.

S- All hops. Piney with hints of grapefruit.

T- Hoppy goodness. Piney and citrusy throughout.

M- Medium bodied. Slightly reisiny/oily.

D- Awesome beer. The 9% alcochol can sneak up on you but won't dissuade you from having another.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Got this at the Falling Rock Tap House while visiting Denver, CO.

Presentation: Poured from tap into a pint glass.

A: This beer looks amazing. Super fluffy/oily cream white 1 finger head that seems to sit atop the beer like a thick blanket. It never goes away the whole time I drink it. The beer is a beautiful medium orange/rust color and laces the glass pretty well.

S: Smell is strong of hops, specifically I smell flavors of mangoes pineapples in this one. Extremely nice, and complex to boot.

T: Taste follows the nose especially in the pineapple on the back side. I don't like that it is more bitter than I'd care for though. Unfortunate because I simply can't knock ANYTHING else about this beer. It just finishes a little bitter for me. Maybe slightly colder I would have preferred it more, but it was served to me around 50 degrees.

M: Absolutely world class. Creamy, oily, perfect weight. No complaints whatsoever. One of the best in this category I've ever had.

D: Hurt by the bitterness, but don't get me wrong. I really loved it. An outstanding DIPA.

Don't miss this if you have a chance to get it. Truly one of the best DIPA's I've had or beers I've had for that matter in many categories.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Huge thanks to my Secret Santa tpd975 for this one from Bierkraft! Review #1 for me...

A: A beautiful deep hazy amber with a thin creamy head. Nice residual lacing. Beautiful DIPA.

S: I'm getting pine, orange and grapefruit with a touch of sweetness coming through.

T: Strong pine and grapefruit with a hint orange peel upfront followed by the sweet thick malt and finished up with a bitter punch.

M: Thick malty and a little dry.

D: Goes down smooth, but not as well as some others.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

On tap at the Rubicon Brewing Company. Pours a dark orange/copper color with a nice one finger of off-white head. The aroma is strong with nice pine and citrus notes, along with a stronger than expected malt presence. This malt presence is really accentuated in the taste, as it matches the massive hops you get. The taste is truly fantastic and blew me away, usually a strong malt presence isn't welcomed in a double IPA (IMO) but this really worked. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with good carbonation, and a rich and smooth finish with the right amount of bitterness, and the alcohol is well hidden.

Wow, this is right up there with Pliny the Younger for me...this is one amazing DIPA. Would love to get a hold of more of this.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

My favorite Double IPA (or any IPA).

Orange with some rust.

The nose is tropical with dank underbrush aromas and a slight herbs de provence. Alcohol is totally buried by aromatics.

The palate enters slighty sweet and then quickly dries out and feels much more attenuated than it must be. The hops are rich and considerable but not particularly resiny. The firm dry texture is offset by a surprisingly creamy carbonation and a complex and ever changing rush of flavors. The palate is so complete and balanced it's almost ridiculous.

There is no hope of me accurately describing this beer. It is a masterpiece. Thank you bear republic. Awesome.

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2012

Frothy cream, latte foam head on a deep golden body, poured into a pint glass. Looks very appetizing.

Heaps of citrus on the nose, with a faint hint of booze, blowing its Double cover.

Very boozy. I would expect it to be higher than 8.3% for how it tastes.

Boozily thick up front with astringent and oily hop finish.

A good Double IPA, but not in the top echelon. Racer 5 is in my go to IPA rotation, but this is a bit much for anything other than special occasions or tastings.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, dark orange with enormous, creamy off-white head that sticks like spackle to the glass. I swear, I can still feel the head in y stomach. Good ol' California IPA hop goodness aroma smacks your nose and gets the taste buds worked up. Grapefruit, pine, yadda yadda yadda. Flavors are to die for. Not too thick like a lot of IIPA's are and is actually refreshing and crisp. This is a dangerous beer for the alcohol! Is it in there? I don't know. Right up there with Dreadnaught, DFH 90 Minute and Big Eddy IIPA.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a Speigelau IPA glass. No date on bottled, but labeled as "2013 Vintage." Consumed on 12/8. Review written from notes.

A - Reddish orange with 1/2 finger of off-white small bubble head. Moderate carbonation with distinct lines. Heavy continous bands of lacing from top of glass to the bottom when finished. Not clear, but also not cloudy with no sediment.

S - Very fragrant. Pine, melon, lemon, kiwi, and peach.

T - Apricot and melon, with a hint of onion bitterness. Strong malt backbone. Alcohol not well hidden. Lasting onion/grapefruit rind bitterness.

M - Moderate to high carbonation. Dry and medium bodied. No stickiness.

O - Good, but slight flavor descreased this beer's overall score for me.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Great looking pour of dark orange with a thick off white head of foam.

S- Lots of fantastic orange like citrus notes with a touch of pine and grass, and juicy delight. Malt is pronounced in the nose, lots of caramel and toasted bread underneath the hops.

T/M- This is a very malty DIPA. not what I was expecting, even with the sweetness from the nose. The orange citrus from before is definitely there, but holy cow is this one malty SOB. This is more like a barleywine -which I would rate it very highly as- but not a DIPA.

O- Great beer but I like my DIPA to be a little less malty than this one. Balance is always a good thing to me, but this ventures to far towards the malt for the style.

Racer X Double IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.