Barrel 43 Big Bear Black Wet Hopped Wild Ale | Bear Republic Brewing Co.

3.05/5

Bear Republic Brewing Co.
bearrepublic.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Beerandraiderfan on 07-18-2012

2.98/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Nice black appearance, solid black malt additions give it a nice appearance even if a majorly thin head. Aroma was just weird, hops were kinda missing, tartness was not.

Taste made me think this was an accidental barrel sour. Everything was just mismashed, no rhyme or reason. Chocolate malt, cherry, sour/tartness, minimal hops, much less wet hops, dark fruit. I didn't get what they were going for.

3.12/5  rDev 0%

Was the first one in the door last Saturday morning. Once I got some food in me, and a more sessionable beer, I took aim at this beer with a really long name.

Poured black, not much in the way of head on it. Body nice, top, eh. Aroma, a good blend of sour and tartness, wet hops were pretty much lost on me throughout the beer.

Taste, again, a little sour, not overly, watered down the stout aspect of the beer, again, whatever extent the wet hopping had going for it, it wasn't discernable. Ultimately, I kind of got left with the feeling that this was just kind of one of those lesser homebrew type of yard sale ales (everything must go!-- into the recipe). Or if that comparison doesn't work for you, this was like the Girl Talk mashup of beers, except, unlike that DJ and his mashups, this one didn't really work for me. Interestingly, both bartenders dumped their sample. I finished mine, but it was hardly inspiring. Different for sure, but unlikely to see further production.

Mouthfeel was just all over the place, some cherry, wine barrel, roasted malts from the base beer, the stout. Currant seemed to be there too.

Barrel 43 Big Bear Black Wet Hopped Wild Ale from Bear Republic Brewing Co.