Dockside Amber Lager | Wagner Valley Brewing Co.

Dockside Amber LagerDockside Amber Lager
Liked This Beer
3.32 w/ 73 Ratings
Dockside Amber LagerDockside Amber Lager

Wagner Valley Brewing Co.
New York, United States
wagnerbrewing.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by Gusler on 07-16-2002

Liked:
3.32/5
Alströms:

1.49/5  rDev -55.1%

This is one charged up beer. Carbonation is huge. Must have been a mistake in QC or something. My pint glass has more head than beer. Smells of solvent and soap. Mouthfeel is so gaseous it's almost hard to swallow. Inevitably a burp follows every sip. This is not enjoyable. Let me rephrase....this is just plain bad. Only faint hints of malt flavor emerge through the solvent and soap. I will not finish this one.....and that is a rarity indeed.

Thanks to Davo for the sample.

1.54/5  rDev -53.6%

I've tried many amber lagers in my day but none quite like this one. There was so much carbonation that, blindfolded, I might have thought I was drinking some strange type of soda pop. While the beer didn't gush out of the bottle, it poured mostly foam into the glass. The bottle says it's a Vienna style lager but, to me, it gave off an unpleasant taste of sweet caramel - very raw and unbalanced as if the product was bottled before its time. I'm amazed it could have passed any quality control test before leaving the brewery. No question the beer was fresh- too fresh, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, I bought a 6-pack as I've had several other Wagner Valley products, particularly the Sled Dog Dopplebock, which impressed me. Guess their quality isn't consistent from product to product.

2.39/5  rDev -28%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

I always try to hit Wagner every year when I vacation up in the Finger Lakes, and finally decided to properly review a few of their offerings. First up was the signature Dockside Amber Lager.

Poured the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Deep, deep amber color, somewhat cloudy, with good head retention and lacing. Smelled pretty nice too, with some malt and floral kick to it.

But the taste...hmmm. What IS this beer? Much fuller and maltier than I would've expected from a lager, amber or otherwise, and not in a good way. I found the sweetness overpowering and cloying. There's some hop bitterness in there somewhere, but overall I found the flavor profile a bit of a mess.

Mouthfeel, for what it's worth, was fine, nice carbonation, but again, the sweetness made it a difficult call overall. It's drinkable to a point, but I could only really handle just one.

It's a shame, because Wagner does some awesome brews, especially the Sled Dog. And maybe I got a bad batch. But overall, I'm not going with this one again.

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

For a Vienna style, this had a rather faint, roasted malt with a rather odd, smokey aspect. Perhaps it is the yeast strain being used here, but the beer had an off flavor that threw the beer out of balance. Not bad, but I do not find myself wanting another.

2.58/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a deep mahogany amber with a nice off white lacing with eccentric bubbles floating around on top and low visible carbonation.

Aroma is a bit salty.. of Vienna malt and a touch of chocolate comes out modestly clean.

Taste also alternates between a bit of chocolate, slight biscuity Oktoberfest flavor, and a clean bittering hop. Almost seems like there's more alcohol in there than there really is. Actually it's the hops. There's something way off in the hop character here.. maybe my mind was set for an Oktoberfest or something more juicy like Brooklyn lager. This has a very spicy, acidic hop finish that ruins the beer really. In total contrast to the mellowness of the malt. Very sour and puckering. I think it's just a pure overdose of the bittering hops along with some harsh tannins. This is close to a drainpour for me.

Mouthfeel is decent though. Nice and smooth and round.

I was expecting a little more from this beer and it just turned out weird and offsetting. This was the first of a mixed six pack I got as a gift from this brewery so I'm hoping the rest are a little better.

2.71/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 8/11/09. Bottle. Pours a dark, clear brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, bready malt, toffee, and caramel. Flavor of cola, sweet bready malt, some vegetal notes as the beer warms. Thin, watery, grainy body. The aroma/flavor composition are more like a doppelbock than a vienna to me. The flavor gets worse as you drink it. Not a fan.

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

2.85/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured a dull orange-ish amber color, with a very thin head left from a boring foamy pour. Had spotty but constant lacing. Smell was malty and spicy, with the slightly sticky sweet of a Vienna red lager. Simple and without the grainy pleasure of fine German malts. Combined with pepper, cinammon, and a mediocre hop leaf scent. At times smoky – strange.

Taste of hops touche me quick, with oily and green, almost chewy hop flavors, pretty much noxious. Had a long drying finish, parching and almost chalky with prominent hop oil flavors - a bit too much. Moderately thin mouthfeel, washes over with an easy but nicely full body.

Where is the malt flavor? A mediocre vienna lager.

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

Decidedly brown in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. It’s got a nutty / malty aroma with little hop influance. The caramel malt is the dominant flavor, along with some minor notes of vienna and munich malts and some clean bitterness. Still, it's a little too cloying to have more than one of these. It’s fairly average stuff.

2.99/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - as the name suggests, the color is amber! No head.

Smell - a bit sweet smelling. Not much else.

Taste - sweet at first, changes over to a bit of a bitter ending.

Mouthfeel - average.

Overall - average. There are plenty of other lagers I would drink.

You don't just get wine from the Finger Lakes...

I must say this one is better on tap, as are all Wagners, but I did bring some back bottled and was a little disappointed.

Pours medium-dark mahogany amber with a light beige foamy head, quick dissipation, decent carbonation. Smells slightly like dried raisins or prunes with some malts and a bit of 'oldness'. I think it was sittin' in the bottle a bit too long. Taste followed well, medium maltiness, lightly sweet, and a good punch of hops. Rather well balanced but again tasted a bit outdated. Overall, OK, but better on tap.

3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance:

As the name implies, this pours a nice amber brown with a faint lacing of white head on top.

Smell:

Fairly mild with some nice malt flavor to it, but nothing that jumps out and says drink me.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Nice and smooth with a smoked aspect to it. Sweetens by midsip, and ends with an off bitterness to it. Probably the weakest offering from Wagner I've encountered.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

3.12/5  rDev -6%

I want to love these guys. I really do. Anyone who both brews beer and wine is worthy of everyones respect. I wish I have had a good beer from them. When I was there the other day, I bought a sixer of everything they had. This was your perfectly average lager. Amber in colour it was. A moderate head. The smell was light all around. Mild hops and mild malts. a little caramel. The taste was exactly the same. I don't know. It's just your middle of the road lager.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Shippos. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured in an imperial pint glass, forms a 1/2" creamy light tan head, which laces ok. A copper hued brew, with a prevailing aroma of slightly nutty malts. Taste is follows the nose, but just seems to be lacking in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is okay. Not bad for a session, hanging-around-with-the-guys-watching-football brew, if that's what you're looking for.

3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours a dark amber color with a small tan head that fades quickly and no lacing.

S: Mostly a grain aroma with a hint of sweet malt.

T: A mild sweet malt & caramel taste. A very light bitterness with a mild sticky sweetness for an aftertaste.

F: Fairly light body, quite smooth.

D: Decent drinker, but a tad sweet to have more than 1-2. A nice unoffensive brew. Got as a 6-pack mixer.

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

Out of a bottle this beer was a clear copper color with two fingers of head that quickly faded. The aroma was of caramel malt and nuts. The flavors were of caramel malt, sweet malt and a bit of nuts. It was very simple and though not bad it wasn’t much to talk about. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation a bit high.

3.21/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Dockside Amber Lager from Wagner Valley Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 23.3% out of 100 with 73 ratings