Wooden Hell | Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2007

#339

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

While I have over 3,500 personal reviews, this is my 500th review on Beer Advocate. Figured I'd make it a "special" review.

Thus, thanks to Jer for sharing this one at our Whale tasting at his housewarming party. I'm going to do this review like I've never done...I hope no one is offended.

"Wooden Hell" - take the best bottle of whiskey you've got, maybe a big 23 year old Pappy's. Mix in a gang full of rich molasses, fresh brown sugar, thick rich carmel, bitter and sweet toffee, big dark chocolate, perhaps a bit of fruity scotch, some rich roasted coffee and then just reduce the hell out of it. The sweet, malty, rich, thick, wonderful extract that's left?...that's Wooden Hell. Wow.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Huge thanks to Justin for sharing this the other day...

Wooden Hell pours a murky, woody mahogany tone with a slim dollop of tan foam. Heavenly whiff of toffee, brown sugar, with some toasty coconut & vanilla notes from the barrel aging.

Super rich and malty, tons of caramel/toffee/butterscotch, with traces of sticky maple syrup on the lips. Some tobacco/leather spice from the bourbon barrel. Elements of sweet dried fruit, mostly raisin. Fairly low carbonation. Some spice/heat from the abv, but not what i'd consider hot. Mellow and rich. A sweet, fruity, syrupy confection.

Thanks again to Señor Beertooth for the sample. Can't believe there was a time when I was drinking this in plastic cups on the patio at Flossmoor. Hats off to Mr. Van Wyk & Mr. Mason.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle at a recent tasting, can't remember who shared this, but it was pretty good.

Hazy brown pour, it sits in the glass nearly opaque, topped with a thin off-white head. The nose is full of caramel and dates, sherry-like oxidation, vanilla, bourbon and wood. This has oxidized in a great way. I get similar flavors on the palate; rich caramel and fruity sweetness balanced by a light boozy kick, subtle oxidation, tobacco and tannins. The finish is borderline dry, almost vinous. I'd love to sit down with a bottle of this to myself; my small glass was entirely too easy to drink.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Big thanks to ThomasHardy for sharing this one with me! This has been a top want for some time! Review from notes.

Poured into Duck Rabbit snifter.

Pour a fizzy tan head. Color is a hazed caramel brown.

Aroma: Sweet caramel and toffee. Warm bourbon flavors with oak. A decent amount of vanilla with sweet dried fruit flavors. Smelling amazing and I am ready to give it a try!

Taste: The taste starts out like the aroma with sweet caramel and toffee flavors. Very malty. The bourbon is well done here, very warming. The fruits are dark,dry, and work really great. I get licorice, raisins, plums, and dried cherries. All blended well with oak flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and warming. Medium to full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation for the style. Ends warm, malty, and dry.

Overall, one of the best BA BW I have had. This one lived up to the hype for me. Very drinkable and left me wanting more. All of the flavors work well with each other and the bal aging didn't completely dominate the flavors which is great to see.

Thanks Brady for sharing this one! It was a real treat!

4.64/5  rDev +3.3%

A ginormous amount of thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this bottle. Served in a Bruery tulip.

The pours yields a moderately-dark brown elixir that borders on copper and seems to shine. There is a nice half-finger head that forms after the pour, sticking around for a bit of time. A few slight rings of lacing stick to the glass as it goes down. The nose is absolutely phenomenal. Just wow. It starts off with a strong showing of caramelized sugar and is then followed up by very, very smooth notes of bourbon and the accompanying oak and light vanilla. Slide notes of oxidation carry over well and fit right in.

Flavor is ridiculously good. The strong notes of caramel and brown sugar push to the front and meld beautifully with bourbon undertones. Really quite smooth. A bit of sweetness fades into very light amounts of alcohol alongside fine bourbon. Very mild oak presence pairs with a decent amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel really makes this beer. It's uber-smooth with just a touch of alcohol warmth. Age has treated this beer really, really well.

This was an incredible experience, and huge thanks go out to Matt for sharing this with us. This was perhaps the best barleywine that I've ever had, and I was supremely happy to share it amongst a fine group of friends. Cheers.

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Served up a hazed humble shade of brown with, sadly, no real head formation.

Smell: Lush, heavy aroma of all things sweet one would find in a kitchen cupboard with notes of things one would find in the liquor cabinet.

Taste: Rich, sweet caramel, Grade 'B' maple syrup, and melted brown sugar initially. Dried dark fruitiness. The coconut is far more prominent in the taste, presenting a small, meager sip of Malibu. There's a spicy, earthy bitterness, but it's no match for the full-on sweetness. Transient wooden tastes. More brown sugar and now some split vanilla beans. While there is a fair amount of alcohol heat, it's well contained beneath the heavy layers of sweet flavors. Long, semi-sweet finish with more of that satisfying alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Smooth, luscious mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very sweet, very dessert-like, and very enjoyable. It's nice to just sit with this one quietly, soaking in all the goodness.

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.94/5  rDev +10%

From 03/19/11 notes. HUGE thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this one; thanks Matthew, never thought I'd get to try this one! Served in a tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat clear medium-brown color with one inch of off white head and very light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, bourbon, oak, vanilla, and some sweet molasses or sugar. Light oxidation evident but doesn't take anything away from the smell. Absolutely amazing smell.

t - Tastes of vanilla, caramel malts, oak, bourbon, tofee, and syrup/molasses to sweeten the taste a little bit. Again, the taste is amazing and perfect for a barleywine.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. The body is super smooth and creamy, and no real hotness from the bourbno at all. Felt like I could have drank a whole bottle by myself, and would want to.

d - I was a little afraid that this one wouldn't live up to the hype, but it really did. I enjoy barleywines quite a bit and love MoaS, and this one was much better in my opinion; it's one of the best beers I've ever had. The smell and taste were such a great combination of caramel, vanilla, and bourbon, and the mouthfeel was perfect. Very glad I got to try this one.

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Can you believe I got a chance to try this one? I seriously was amazed to see it sitting in my fridge last night, so much so that I just had to grab it and open it up. Selfish I know to indulge by myself but there are a few out there that I really just need to. Served at around 55 degrees and poured into a new CCB glass( thanks Greg), this one was consumed on 10/15/2009.

The pour was perfect, well everything about this one was perfect but we will get to the rest of that later. Rich dark brown in color with a neat little head of light tan that reached a height of around it that really just sat there, looking at me in the glass for what seemed like forever, never really fading much at all. Just sublime and evil looking, but that was before I tried. Now I have had a good many different Barley wines and Barrel Aged offerings in my day but this just takes the cake as far as those two categories. Superb. Rich notes of butterscotch and vanilla just oozing off of this, filling the room with their essence. Warming brings out just that much more, insane the amount of aroma here. Notes of wood, candied sugar and touches of caramel and toffee, unreal. It was like it was made for this moment, just for me. Each sip bringing more and more subtle flavors, things I did not think could even be brought to the table are dominating my palate. Then it hit that sweet spot at around room temperature, that rich toffee, butterscotch caramel, fusion of a flavor that I seek out in all but the greatest of barrel offerings, here it is in all its glory, and I melt into the glass. Long finish of sweet caramel and brown sugar flavors dripping from every sip, warm vanilla and woody notes swirling around, dancing on the tongue, every ounce is savored, relished, and appreciated.

Sipping for the next two hours becomes a lesson in pure relaxation and self gratification. I have become comfortably numb.

3.7/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep murky reddish brown body. Small welling of khaki bubbles. A very thin collar.

Smell - A little oxidized. Kinda cardboardy. Bourbon. Brown sugar. Boozy.

Taste - Better bourbon flavor. Better all around. Still a little cardboardy and oxidized. Some dark fruits to it, too. Lots of brown sugar. Woody finish. Almost spicy finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation. Oxidized in the back end. Boozy.

Overall - So this is getting old. The oxidation is becoming overwhelming.

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review #700!!!
Massive thanks to Al aka petesuphi for sharing this one with a few of us. I never thought I would even see a bottle of this, let alone drink it. Thanks again buddy!

A - Pours cloudy orangish brown with a nice one finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving spotty trails of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of caramel and toffee, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, smooth bourbon and some very light woody oak. The aroma is intoxicating, with all of the flavors meshing very well together. Only a tiny bit of oxidation is detectable here.

T - Starts off with the strong sweetness made up of the caramel, vanilla, toffee, brown sugar and molasses. Once the sweetness dies down the bourbon and oak help smooth it all out. There is so much going on yet it doesn't overpower the palate in any way. Once it warms up the light oxidation becomes present here as well but it never really detracts from the other flavors, it mostly lurks at the end of each sip. Finish is sweet with some light heat, lingering on the palate long after the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, slick feel goes down easy. Goes a touch watery at the end of the glass, combined with the light oxidation this is probably the weakest part of this beer.

O - I really enjoyed this one. It has all of the flavors I like in my barley wines and the addition of the bourbon barrel aging has made this one even better. In this bottle at least, it has definitely begun to show its age but it is still an awesome bourbon BA barley wine. I would say you should drink it sooner rather than later.

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to Jer for sharing this one. So glad to finally have tried it.

A: The pour is a dark amber, almost chestnut, color with a thin tan head.

S: Pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for in the nose. Lots of vanilla and bourbon along with brown sugar and dark fruits. A slight oak not, but there's some nice chocolate oxidation taking place.

T: Quite sweet with lots of caramel, brown sugar, and toffee. Plenty of bourbon and vanilla are present as well. I get some wood and dark fruit here, along with a bit of warming alcohol.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium carbonation that is quite smooth on the tongue.

D: This was surprisingly easy to drink, but I guess that's part of what makes it so good. You can pick up the oxidation, but it's not to the point of detriment at this point.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

A huge thank you to David for hooking me up with this rare gem. I shared with this with a few good buddies yesterday.

Served in my Cantillon tulip.

The beer appears dark brown and mildly hazy. Crimson and sunburst highlights are evident as the light peaks through the liquid. It's slightly hazy but certainly not opaque, as one can see through the body to some degree. The head measures approximately a quarter inch and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

The aroma is fabulous, with scents of sugary caramels and candies, vanilla, oak, malt, and bourbon.

The flavor is exceptional. Vanilla and oak meld beautifully with a light bourbon note. Sugary sweet caramel tones are amazingly tasty. This is one of the only barleywines I have ever had that has a prominent sweetness about it, yet would never become cloying. Brown sugar and malt flavors are supremely enjoyable.

Wooden Hell really shines in the feel department. Ridiculously smooth, this beer goes down effortlessly. Alcohol content is an afterthought. The aging process could only have assisted what I'm certain was an already terrific beer.

Overall, the best barrel-aged barleywine I have ever had and one of the best beers I have had the pleasure to taste.

4.19/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wooden Hell from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery