Wooden Hell | Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2007

#340

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

Well, I guess it's about time I reviewed this. Review taken from literally three lines of notes tapped out on my BlackBerry. Thanks to HoppyMeal for bringing a bottle of this to the pre-Hair of the Dog bottle share earlier this month. He committed to bringing this and a J&J Blauw and suddenly the bar was instantly set. An insane tasting and a great time.

A: Pours a hazy prune/tan with a small beige head that quickly recedes to a glass ring. Moderate legs show the heft of the body. 4/5

S: Brewbro000 said something along the lines of "I'm going to give myself a nose bleed because I'm sniffing this so hard". That about sums it up for me. Warm vanilla, rich toffee, and mellow bourbon. 5/5

T: Sweet caramel, creamy fruits, and smooth bourbon. The richness was only barely delved into from my small pour, but it had great depth. 4.5/5

M: Moderate body with a silky texture. No alcohol burn. 4.5/5

O: This was a superbly aged bottle. Its equal I've never experienced. I'll likely never get the chance to drink this again but at least now I see what all the fuss is about. Worth whatever it takes to trade for a bottle. 4.5/5

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Thank you very much Dan!
couple oz pour

A. Pours brown rust color almost a bronze. no head on my pour

S. Spicy sweet smell almost like a cookie of some sort, bourbon, vanilla, and oak.

T. pretty complex stuff, Subtle sweetness with characteristics of bourbon, spice, oak, a touch of vanilla. Low carbonation. Decent body but i feel its too thin.. I wonder if this is starting to move past its prime.

O. Overall the beer was excellent...no doubt
live up to the hype? Gonna have to say no. Again maybe this beer is starting the down hill trip. Dare I say I prefer Mother of All Storms...I dare. Thanks again for this rare treat..

4.89/5  rDev +8.9%

Had to give up half my cellar to land this one, let's hope it's worth it.

It pours a little red amber color with just a tiny bit of head. Smell is sweet, the barrel is great barrel with bourbon that has calmed down over the years. The taste is just a stunning example of a bourbon barley wine. Vanilla from the barrel is there but it is not too much. Good brown sugar. Drinks quite smoothly and I was sad when the bottle was exhausted. Will now start search for second bottle.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Cam!

Pours a nice light brownish color with a very minimal tannish head. Smell is really nice - well integrated bourbon/vanilla/oak and caramel malts. A touch of toffee and caramelized brown sugar. More reserved, balanced and integrated than in-your-face. The bourbon in the taste is absolutely perfect, with strong identifying flavors or vanilla and oak, but not over-the-top or dominant over the base barleywine flavors of caramel, brown sugar, toffee. Unfortunately, this is the sad part of this review. This particular bottle had clearly started to descend. The oxidation was past the peak of aging for a barleywine, and as such, the base barleywine flavor had begun to retract from what I imagine it would have been a year ago. While the barrel still carries this beer nicely, and the flavor still comes together pretty well, this is definitely not a beer I would keep aging if I intended to drink it at some point. This is made even more substantial of a problem due to the relatively thin body in this beer, such that there is a combination of thin body and thin 'barleywine' flavor that will eventually make this beer mediocre at best. That said, this beer is very good right now, extremely drinkable and really shows off the best of barrel aging (bumping the taste to 4.5 from 4.0 based on this).

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Cam for this once in a life time tick. When he texts you "get over here now or you will regret it forever" just do it,

A-maroonish in color with no head whatsoever. Looks very inviting

S-bourbon vanilla and oak melded perfectly together

T- follows the nose almost perfectly. Very rare.

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O- this has held up remarkably well and is a very good beer. I tried to take the rareness out, but that is very difficult

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

Well, thanks for this Cam. Even though you did serve me Hellshire telling me it was Wooden Hell. My memory of this beer is forever tainted with onions. Notes/memory from tonight

A - Clouded dark reddish brown body, with no head by the time I got to it. Very nice color, however.

S - Lots of bourbon, some light notes of wood and vanilla, and a good dark fruity aroma. It's a good smell without a doubt. Not sure I'd ask for more.

T - Well, This is pretty good. Again, I think the bourbon is the strongest thing here, but with a nice balance of caramel and toffee malts. My notes are mostly for the Hellshire and I didn't get too much of this one, but it was just really well balanced, very good malt profile.

M - Nice and thick and smooth. A touch dry. Really quite good.

O - well, this is a good beer. I'm not sure how it compares to the hype, since all I really know is that it is hyped, but not necessarily what the hype is all about. Definitely one of the best beers I've had, but when you get into that upper tier, nothing really blows anything else away.

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Side by side with sheol

Both pour a rusty hazy brown. Yellowish tint. Almost no head. Smells incredibly smooth and vanilla heavy. Some nice oxidation and raisiny notes. Tastes similar. Vanilla heavy. Some light oak notes. The beer is incredibly well balanced. The oxidation is very nice. Definitely much smoother than sheol. Very rich thick mouthfeel. Low carbonation but still bubbly and enjoyable. Overall this is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%

A. Pours brown with orange moving into yellow at the edges. A wisp of a tan head.

S. Lots of beautiful bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, and oak.

T. Much less hoppy than the base beer, but has a nice spiciness. Subtle sweetness with characteristics of brown sugar, oak, a touch of vanilla.

M. Dry woodiness with low carbonation. A nice body with only a touch of syrupy body. I could use it just a touch thicker.

D. Supremely drinkable. A nice balance of sweetness and spicy bitterness.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown color with some tan foam and decent lacing. Awesome aroma of bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar. Flavor is more of the same, with a great sweet caramel/toffee malt background, brown sugar, bourbon, oak, vanilla, and some dark fruits. Amazing palate - smooth creamy, and a little syrupy with medium-full body. Overall this is a phenomenal beer.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Holy hell it’s a Wooden Hell! A huge thank you to Chad for sharing his bottle. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a dark woody brown with a thin dark-tan head that faded into a bubbly collar.
S: Complex notes of raisins, vanilla, warming alcohol and a bit of dark fruit come to my nose.
T: Vanilla, toffee, milk chocolate, barrel spices, earthy hops, and spicy bourbon are easy to pick out. This beer is smooth as hell. It’s also has a subtle sweetness and a touch of warming alcohol in the finish.
M: Really creamy and smooth without an oily or greasy mouthfeel. The body is thick and the carbonation is low.
O: This is one super complex brew and just amazingly complex and smooth. Wooden Hell definitely lives up to the hype. Thanks again for sharing, Chad.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

Big huge thanks to Paul AKA Dr. Gonzo for the bottle share at our pre-DLD tasting. I got a few oz's and my wife was nice enough to give me most of her pour too. Served at generally room temp into a snifter.

This beer looks nice in the glass. There's a great color - a mixture of copper, amber, chesnut and garnet swirled and decadant looking. Next to no head,- no, make that no head, but that's OK considering the ABV and time spent in the barrel. I'd like for a bit of foam, even a soapy bubble or two, though to make this look less dead.

The smell is intoxicating! There's a huge barrel presence that is expressive and really savory. I get notes of oak, a touch of tannin, some bourbon, and a hint of vanilla atop a nice bed of caramel, burned sugar, toffee and a touch of oxidation. Aside from the bourbon, there's no booze in the nose. Very close to perfection but could be a bit bolder.

The taste is equally impressive. This has aged like a champion and is smooth and silky. The typical Barleywine notes of caramelized sugar and dark fruit start the experience with some sweet notes. Then, the barrel transitions the brew from basic to brilliant. A touch of brown sugar and maple is eclipsed by bourbon and oak. There's a touch of vanilla and just a hint of booze that pairs well with the mild hop bitterness. Some mild oxidation gives sherry notes to the sweet finish. Any rough edges have been sanded by time. This is one giant progressing flavor experience, not separate little bits here or there. On second thought, impressive is weak - this is fantastic!

The mouthfeel knocks me back down to Earth a bit from the high of the flavor. The beer is medium bodied but could have just a bit more heft. The carbonation is just a touch high as well. I'm in love with Kuhnhenn's BA Barleywine and, sure, it's a 15% but has just a certain feel I wish was present here - slick and syrupy but not still and slimey. But the hint of booze at the end is held in check and this finishes well.

Overall, there's not much to say other than this is a worthy beer. I'm not sure it's worth the huge auction prices or trading half a cellar, as there are a few (MOAS/TPS and Kuhnhenn BA BW) that are more easily obtained and just as good. But I highly encourage everyone to find someone as cool as Paul to share a bottle with you! Thanks again for the chance to try a brew I never thought I'd cross paths with!

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured up by the awesomeness that is Bryan Shimkos at pre-DLD festivites.

A - It pours a sappy maple-amber hue, and is capped with a polite film of wispy tan micro-froth.

S - Excellent nose; I immediately think of the candy confection called 'turtles'. Notes of toffee, caramel, buttery oak, hazelnut-chocolate and vanilla are astonishingly integrated.

T - My biggest impression is that of mild surprise: despite the candy-like elements of the nose, the flavor is not terribly sweet, given the style. It is more like a collection of sweet-type flavors, expressed with unusual reserve. The relative dryness afforded by the wood makes for sublime and delectable complexity. In addition to the continuation of 'turtle' notes found in the aroma, there is an added impression of maple syrup, and freshly charred wood barrel which seems distinctly apparent.

M - The feel is silky-smooth and softly carbonated, and is quite nice. But it still can't hang with a good JW Lees.

O - Fantastic beer, justifiably esteemed.

Wooden Hell from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery