Wooden Hell | Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Style: English Barleywine

GABF 2006 Strong Barrel Aged Bronze, Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Barleywine

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2007

3.6/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle Poured into a Tulip.

A: Pours a hazy light amber, with no head whatsoever.
S: Smells of caramel, light vanilla notes, some oak, and slights hints of bourbon
T: oxidized. oxidized. I can't really taste the bourbon anymore. I taste some caramel, a touch of spice, some vanilla, toffee, and definitely a lot of oak.It tasted really similar for a really old bigfoot. There was definitely a lingering aftertaste that stuck with me long after every sip.
M: flat, no carbonation whatsoever, though drinkability is quite smooth, not hot at all.
O: overall, I thought it was a good beer. Do I think there is good reason for the hype? hmmm. I definitely do believe that if I had tasted this beer a year or two ago, my review and thoughts would have been quite different. If you have a bottle of this, drink it, trade it, do what you will, but it definitely does not need any more time. In fact, I feel as though this beer is definitely on its downhill curve. But don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for getting a chance to try this whale, and I definitely think it's a brew you should 110% try if you have the chance. I just don't quite think it lived up to the hype it still holds.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%

***TroDersak's review above is based on a hand bottling of Wooden Hell and was drank 4 hours after bottle was opened***

Wow like most people, I didn't think I would ever get to try this. Never say never I guess.

Thanks Alen!

Had this along with the BA Hi-Fi Rye and Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord.

Poured 7 ounces directly into a lost abbey tulip.

A: Rusty copper brown, a little cloudy with no head in sight. Had to give the glass a little twirl to create a quarter inch of froth. Body looked pretty typical to its style.

S: The smell was my favorite part, a perfect balance of oak, vanilla, dark fruit dipped in caramel and a little spice at the end.

T: Taste follows the nose with same flavors and coats all parts of the mouth with a very very long lasting finish. I think the lingering taste is what set this beer apart for me. I would take one sip, sit back and enjoy the flavor for 5 minutes to follow.

M: From previous taster of Wooden Hell, he said the beer had thinned out. By no means was it thin but a little more body would have been magical. Its definitely the age that has caused the thinness. Alcohol was not detectable what so ever.

O: I can see where the hype comes from this brew, but if you have one drink it asap as it is thinning out and i am certain age will do no benefit to this beer. The group consenus was that BA Hi-Fi Rye at this moment is a better beer.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

Well, I guess it's about time I reviewed this. Review taken from literally three lines of notes tapped out on my BlackBerry. Thanks to HoppyMeal for bringing a bottle of this to the pre-Hair of the Dog bottle share earlier this month. He committed to bringing this and a J&J Blauw and suddenly the bar was instantly set. An insane tasting and a great time.

A: Pours a hazy prune/tan with a small beige head that quickly recedes to a glass ring. Moderate legs show the heft of the body. 4/5

S: Brewbro000 said something along the lines of "I'm going to give myself a nose bleed because I'm sniffing this so hard". That about sums it up for me. Warm vanilla, rich toffee, and mellow bourbon. 5/5

T: Sweet caramel, creamy fruits, and smooth bourbon. The richness was only barely delved into from my small pour, but it had great depth. 4.5/5

M: Moderate body with a silky texture. No alcohol burn. 4.5/5

O: This was a superbly aged bottle. Its equal I've never experienced. I'll likely never get the chance to drink this again but at least now I see what all the fuss is about. Worth whatever it takes to trade for a bottle. 4.5/5

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Thank you very much Dan!
couple oz pour

A. Pours brown rust color almost a bronze. no head on my pour

S. Spicy sweet smell almost like a cookie of some sort, bourbon, vanilla, and oak.

T. pretty complex stuff, Subtle sweetness with characteristics of bourbon, spice, oak, a touch of vanilla. Low carbonation. Decent body but i feel its too thin.. I wonder if this is starting to move past its prime.

O. Overall the beer was excellent...no doubt
live up to the hype? Gonna have to say no. Again maybe this beer is starting the down hill trip. Dare I say I prefer Mother of All Storms...I dare. Thanks again for this rare treat..

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Had to give up half my cellar to land this one, let's hope it's worth it.

It pours a little red amber color with just a tiny bit of head. Smell is sweet, the barrel is great barrel with bourbon that has calmed down over the years. The taste is just a stunning example of a bourbon barley wine. Vanilla from the barrel is there but it is not too much. Good brown sugar. Drinks quite smoothly and I was sad when the bottle was exhausted. Will now start search for second bottle.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Cam!

Pours a nice light brownish color with a very minimal tannish head. Smell is really nice - well integrated bourbon/vanilla/oak and caramel malts. A touch of toffee and caramelized brown sugar. More reserved, balanced and integrated than in-your-face. The bourbon in the taste is absolutely perfect, with strong identifying flavors or vanilla and oak, but not over-the-top or dominant over the base barleywine flavors of caramel, brown sugar, toffee. Unfortunately, this is the sad part of this review. This particular bottle had clearly started to descend. The oxidation was past the peak of aging for a barleywine, and as such, the base barleywine flavor had begun to retract from what I imagine it would have been a year ago. While the barrel still carries this beer nicely, and the flavor still comes together pretty well, this is definitely not a beer I would keep aging if I intended to drink it at some point. This is made even more substantial of a problem due to the relatively thin body in this beer, such that there is a combination of thin body and thin 'barleywine' flavor that will eventually make this beer mediocre at best. That said, this beer is very good right now, extremely drinkable and really shows off the best of barrel aging (bumping the taste to 4.5 from 4.0 based on this).

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Cam for this once in a life time tick. When he texts you "get over here now or you will regret it forever" just do it,

A-maroonish in color with no head whatsoever. Looks very inviting

S-bourbon vanilla and oak melded perfectly together

T- follows the nose almost perfectly. Very rare.

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O- this has held up remarkably well and is a very good beer. I tried to take the rareness out, but that is very difficult

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

Well, thanks for this Cam. Even though you did serve me Hellshire telling me it was Wooden Hell. My memory of this beer is forever tainted with onions. Notes/memory from tonight

A - Clouded dark reddish brown body, with no head by the time I got to it. Very nice color, however.

S - Lots of bourbon, some light notes of wood and vanilla, and a good dark fruity aroma. It's a good smell without a doubt. Not sure I'd ask for more.

T - Well, This is pretty good. Again, I think the bourbon is the strongest thing here, but with a nice balance of caramel and toffee malts. My notes are mostly for the Hellshire and I didn't get too much of this one, but it was just really well balanced, very good malt profile.

M - Nice and thick and smooth. A touch dry. Really quite good.

O - well, this is a good beer. I'm not sure how it compares to the hype, since all I really know is that it is hyped, but not necessarily what the hype is all about. Definitely one of the best beers I've had, but when you get into that upper tier, nothing really blows anything else away.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Side by side with sheol

Both pour a rusty hazy brown. Yellowish tint. Almost no head. Smells incredibly smooth and vanilla heavy. Some nice oxidation and raisiny notes. Tastes similar. Vanilla heavy. Some light oak notes. The beer is incredibly well balanced. The oxidation is very nice. Definitely much smoother than sheol. Very rich thick mouthfeel. Low carbonation but still bubbly and enjoyable. Overall this is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

A. Pours brown with orange moving into yellow at the edges. A wisp of a tan head.

S. Lots of beautiful bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, and oak.

T. Much less hoppy than the base beer, but has a nice spiciness. Subtle sweetness with characteristics of brown sugar, oak, a touch of vanilla.

M. Dry woodiness with low carbonation. A nice body with only a touch of syrupy body. I could use it just a touch thicker.

D. Supremely drinkable. A nice balance of sweetness and spicy bitterness.

Wooden Hell from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery