Pullman Nut Brown | Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery

Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
Illinois, United States
flossmoorstation.com

Style: English Brown Ale

A traditional english brown ale, very nutty aroma towards hazel and Brazil nuts, deep brown in color and very well rounded body

Added by younger35 on 04-17-2008

2.06/5  rDev -48.5%

Browns are among my favorite styles but this isn't one that I'd recommend. The taste reminded me more of a porter, the flavor was bitter and astringent and it had little fullness of flavor. This was a bad combination of a harsh scent and a medicinal taste.

2.59/5  rDev -35.3%

Thanks to ChadQuest for this brew, first one I've had from Flossmoor Station.

This may be called a brown ale, but it appears jet black with a coffee scum head that dissipates quickly leaving some swirls and decent lace.

Nose is of the coffee variety, with some roasted malt behind it. It's mostly coffee though with a touch of earthy oats. very pleasant nose and a good rubbery cafe that is enough to carry the aroma.

Taste starts a bit metallic, and in this case it hurts, but after that its a balanced blend of coffee, semi-sweet malts, and molasses to finish. This is definitely a stronger than usual brown ale, and it's ok to be strong, but combined with the long-lingering sucking-on-zipper metal the taste suffers a great deal. It's unfortunate because the other flavors are really solid and I wish I could fully experience them.

Mouthfeel is more sticky and thick than your average brown ale, and it might be too much for some, but I happen to enjoy it. The molasses is very imposing in terms of taste and mouthfeel, and it can get a bit much. Drinkability is harmed a great deal by the metal and uneven alcohol strength/molasses. This beer could be so much better that it's disappointing to point out its shortcomings. I feel bad giving this such a low score since I can see how good it could be, but I couldn't get through too much of this beer (thanks to AwYeh for jumping in to finish the job).

2.62/5  rDev -34.5%

Aroma begins with an earthy and musty smells with some prominent coffee smells as well.
The taste begins with dark roasted coffee maltiness. Soon after you are greeted with a strong earthy hops presence which is really not appropriate in my opinion. There is this odd aftertaste which I can't quite place; it's almost metallic, which is really a detriment to the overall flavor. Maybe this is just a bad batch/bottle. The thick lacing on this beer makes me think it is just overly hopped with Kent Golding hops or something similar.
The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with light carbonation.
Overall this beer is a large disappointment. Flavors are just not balanced and the lingering odd aftertaste it quite horrendous. It gets worse as it warms as well.

2.62/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to MasterSki for this one. Shared with my wife last night.

Poured from a bomber.

Appearance: Holey moley! I'm pouring foam into my glass not beer! Every time i pour, it comes out foam with very little body. The light brown head looks gorgeous though all frothy and whipped. My wife says it looks like a root beer float. After several minutes i eventually see the opaque dark brown body. Though off-putting a little, it looks really nice once it settles down.

Smell: Molasses, chocolate and brown sugar. Nice bitter edge to it.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Combining these together because the carbonation is way out of hand on this one. I get a little bit of molasses but the carbonation is literally hurting my tongue. I let calm down for awhile and try again. Carbonation is still high but i do get some coarse chocolate and burnt sugar. Other than that, nothing and not quite pleasant i must say.

Drinkability: Not really. My wife couldn't continue after a few sips but i tried to give it a chance but i couldn't finish my glass. The astringent taste and overly excessive carbonation kills it for me.

Overall: I debated as to whether i should review it or not but i've seen a few reviews describing similar experiences so i figure it's good for people to see both sides of the coin. Still, i do want to try it again, maybe on tap it'll be better. The bottle is killer though!

2.67/5  rDev -33.3%

Thanks to nkersten for this one. Recipe No. 128

As I pop the top, a loud, explosive fizz erupts and immediately worries me. As I pour the beer, the glass is instantly engulfed in a thick foam. One finger of beer, the rest is foam. This has all the sign of an infection. The color is nearly opaque, chocolate kiss brown. The immense, foamy head is tan in color.

The aroma was nutty and chalky with some chocolate in the mix as well.

The flavor was quite nutty, chalky, astringent, bitter. There was some decent raw cocoa bean flavor but that contributed to the husky bitterness as well. Almost like eating raw bakers chocolate. For 27 IBUs, ths is way too bitter and something is certainly wrong here.

Way over carbonated on the toungue which leads me to believe this is an erratic bottle. I had some of the these from Duck Rabbit and was not pleased. Since I received this via trade, it is my only bottle and it is only fair to let others know of my experience. Apparently, I have one of the only overcarbonated bottles.

Tastes alright, way too foamy and tough to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

2.82/5  rDev -29.5%

I was excited to get this in trade from Masterski as I have loved everything I've tried from Flossmoor.

When I popped open the bottle there was greater than usual release of pressure. No line indicating any problems at the fill line. When I poured it the entire glass filled with foam/head. Way too much. I worried. A quick wiff did not detect any off odors. I let it sit and slowly poured a glass over the next several minutes. Brown leather/shoe polish in color. You can see a touch of carbonation around the edges. The head remains insane any time you pour even a little into the glass.

Aroma is grain like, roasted, caramel, slight cinnamon.. slight wet cardboard.

Flavor is quite grain like as well. Some minerals and a real roasted flavor. Almost no sweetness, which is shocking seeing as this is brewed with molasses. Slight cocoa. Can't detect any molasses or caramel. Charcoal in flavor and also almost chalky in mouth feel.

Mouth feel is quite dry.

Have to admit that I am not enjoying this as much as I would have guessed. At this point I've gone and read other reviews.. I don't get it.. I don't detect any off flavors.. so I can't state it's a bad bottle. Don't see a date anywhere to confirm age.

At a future date, I'll have to try this again, but at this point I am not impressed.

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Had this brew on tap at Flossmoor. Pours dark brown with a light tan head. Smell is nutty, and coffee like and taste is chalky, nutty, and lightly of coffee. Bit thin body and flavorwise, but otherwise a good, drinkable brown ale. Didn't knock my socks off, however.

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%

Aged for 8 months

A- pours black with a wisp of foam that lingers in the center of the glass

S- sweet with a faint nutty odor

T- slightly malty finish with a sweet nutty taste

M- light and thin. Almost a bit too watery

O- I thought the smell and flavor would redeem the beer, but the mouthful is weak. A bit disappointed with this one.

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottled bomber served in a New Belgium globe.

Pours a very deep, dark brown with excellent carbonation that settles slowly.

Upon first sniff, molasses and brown sugar tend to dominate. The first word that popped into my head was "sweet". I let it sit for a few more minutes and the molasses was almost overpowering.

The taste reminds me a little of coffee candy or coffee ice cream, which I don't like. It's not as strong, but it's very sweet with a coffee undertone.

I like the mouthfeel, mostly because of what seems to me a suitable-high level of carbonation. The taste/aftertaste lingers just long enough.

Drinkability is a little on the low side, mostly because it reminds me so much of coffee ice cream. I'm sure my significant other would love it for this very reason.

Flossmoor has put out a pretty solid lineup, but I think I will pass on picking up this one again unless it is super cheap. It's already reasonably affordable, so no complaints there. I think I'll stick to their IPAs and just ogle my last bottle of Wooden Hell.

Pullman Nut Brown from Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery