Moosbacher Weissbier | Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer

moosbacher.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by GCBrewingCo on 04-28-2006

4.89/5  rDev +35.5%

I enjoyed this beer while stationed in Germany during 1969 to 1970. With a shot of White or Red Corn, you couldn't ask for a better combination. And with a plate of knockwurst or bratwurst with a side order of Pommes Frites . It was the perfect meal.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a .5L swing top to a classic hefe glass the liquid is pale with super huge carbonation that sizzles while you pour. The head is very tall, white, fades way fast and leaves little lace.

The smell is nice banana, cloves, very nice indeed.

The taste follows, just a real nice brew very good. Bananas and cloves dominate this classic hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is very good great body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is very good a great call for a very good hefe.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl, MK

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours clear golden orange with thick white head, smells of yeasty wheat slightly herbal hops, tastes of sweet crisp wheat with lemon peppery spicy hops, bright carbonation with moderate mouthfeel.

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%

Many thanks to BA Ding for dropping this off for me at work the other day. This is quite possibly one of the best hefeweizens I have had in a long time. Poured a hazy straw colour with moderate cloudiness (of course I haven't poured the remaining inch and a half with all the sediment in it, either). Nice, lovely snow white froth at least four inches thick with lots of CO2 streaming skywards. After about 60 seconds or so, when the head started to wane, it left nice webs of sticky lace on the sides of the glass. At first pour, this was nearly a text book hefe (appearance) IMO.
Smell was very, very nice. It smelled like clean, dry wheat and bananas, and that is all. In fact, it has the strongest banana profile of any hefe I have ever had.
Alright, I just poured the remaining beer into the weizen glass to exhibit some fairly large bits of sediment. They look like ground coffee, quite honestly.
Taste was of the average sweetness of most decent German hefeweizens. Very refeshing; I could see sessioning this in the middle of the summer. Most of the flavour arrives toward the middle and finish, and consists of mild spice and, of course, wheat. Mouthfeel was pretty average for a German hefe; neither offensive nor exceptionally delicious. Just average. Highly, highly drinkable!

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%

Pop-top, 500 ml bottle, "Use before 12, 08", poured into weizen glass:

Pours golden, not nearly as cloudy as expected for the style, with a large white head that descends, in a rocky way, to a thin lasting cover.

The smell is of banana/clove and bubblegum.

The taste is of sweet grain, banana/clove and bubblegum. Sweet with a bitterish balance.

The body is light - a bit on the thin side, but enough to keep things together. Very smooth.

Not exceptional, but hits the main components of the style well enough, and there's certainly enough taste, and balance, to it to keep it interesting. Very smooth and highly drinkable, especially on a warm day. I could easily "session" this.

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very thick head, lasted for a very long time. Light amber color with good carbonization.

First aroma is of thick malt and grains. Some sweeter flavors later.

Taste follows the smell. Very rich with malt and wheat. You can really taste them here, some German wheat beers seem to be a bit light in this category, but this one is right on the money. Slightly bitter.

Opened the swing top to a loud pop and began to pour. Even with the most gentle pour I could muster, my glass was filled with nothing but rocky white foam. And I mean NOTHING but foam. I've never seen anything like it before. You don't measure the head on this beer by number of fingers, you measure it by number of hands. Eventually the foam began to turn into liquid and was "only" about one hand high, with about an inch of hazy golden liquid below. If foam is your thing, this is your beer. Very active bubbles rose to the top of the glass, feeding the head even more. Rated a 4 in appearance due to the sheer amount of laughter the crown on this beer caused.

The aroma was a gentle mix of banana and clove. Very subdued but nice.

The taste was also pleasant and subdued. The bananas were there, a bit of wheat and a slightly tart finish.

Mouthfeel was smooth and medium, with a perfect amount of carbonation.

I rarely if ever give a beer the same scores across the board (in this case, all 4's), but I feel this one deserved it. There's nothing exceptional about it (except the head), and there's nothing really "wrong" with it either. It's a nice weissbier which was enjoyable to drink. I wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

Moosbacher Weissbier pours a golden yellow with a thick white head from a brown half liter swingtop bottle. The aroma is primarily banana. The flavor has a nice mix of banana and clove, banana being more dominant. Perhaps not the most complex of weiss beers, but I completely enjoyed this one.

I purchased this 1 pint, .9 fl oz bottle and was anticipating another great Bavarian beer. I pulled it directly from the refridgerator and I popped the top and boom! The cap would have taken my eye out had it not been attached to the bottle and the foam began. The foam kept coming out of the top of the bottle so I poured my glass carefully and slow about half way and still the foam cometh. The foam was still emerging from the top of the bottle. What is going on? I wait and wait for the foam to settle and I see a thick golden orange color beer with plenty of head and lots of sediment. The sediment I can deal with but the foam was a bit uncontrolable. It smells slightly bannana and a hint of barley. I actually enjoy the flavor and a solid mouthfeel as it washes down. The beer tastes great, so I must have received an off bottle because of the characteristics of the foam and I know I did not shake it up or anything. Also the best before date is 9/09 so I know it should be fresh. I would like to try this beer again without the foam. I am sure it will be better next time.

3.99/5  rDev +10.5%

found @ Oak Tree Buy Rite, Edison NJ

eyes...
damn near exploded on me.. holy crap was this thing ready to blow.. needless to say the carbonation here is pretty damn crazy. 3 full fingers of pure white head, big soapy foam that settles at a good clip, paler than pale straw, hell it almost looks like an american macro. the head is nice but the rest is lacking except the lacing... hard to score it above average... even if the head and lacing are very good. pouring in the rest of the bottle made this haze up really nicely, I upped my appearance score to 3.5. note: this has massive carbonation, it gets out of control very easily!

nose...
slightly skunky doughy wheat tone, a nice second waft brings out bannana and some cinnamon notes. the nose is strong and easy to pick up, well done! this has all the characteristics you would expect from a hefe but is 'just' different enough.

taste etc...
sharper on the tongue than I thought it would be, assertive, the carbonation makes this almost creamy, you are left with a sour bitterness, almost like granny smith apples... the carbonation enters prickly and exits smooth, the typical hefe flavor is a bit spicer here, like white pepper, much more aggressive in that respect than some heffes.

verdict?
not an all day drinker.. I can't imagine the gas.. well, if you are pissed off at your wife I suppose you could drink this all day and then dutch oven her for kicks.. but since I aint married I don't want to be the SS Burp factory.. but for breaking one of these out on a pool day? hell yeah. It's tasty and a little off the beaten track...

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

1/2 ltr fliptop picked up at Market Limone in Nampa sometime last week for a very pricey $5... Shared with my buddy Matt .... my half in my smaller weizen glass.

3 finger head dies back leaving little lacing atop a hazy lite straw brew.

Aroma is mild cloves and very subtle banana.. it is definitely a weizen.. but seems pretty tame... more banana bread as it warms.

Flavor has more banana than cloves.. but still seems pretty restrained.. a little pils malt makes ties everything together with a little sweetness.. It is growing on me for sure.. carbonation and body is pretty spot on.. I am actually very surprised by this one as it grows with warmth.

The label says best by 12/8!! How is that possible with this brew in Idaho?! It does seem fresh but somehow it doesn't light my fire the way a nice draft Paulaner or Ayinger does.. but this is a very fine brew.

Moosbacher Weissbier from Private Landbrauerei Scheuerer