Lobotomy Bock | Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company
mojavered.com

Style: Doppelbock

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

1.48/5  rDev -50.3%

It's almost hard for me to believe this is a 10.5 ABV beer.... At first, the pour into the glass seems to nice.... That is, until you realize there isn't much head or body to it.... Though it's a dark beer, it doesn't have that deep of a taste to it.... Pretty bland characteristics.... I tried the Indian Wells "Insomnia IPA", and again, I wasn't too impressed with it's lack of hoppiness.... I'm still waiting to find a beer from this brewery that I fully enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +51%

3.94/5  rDev +32.2%

I like the lobotomy bock, not to harsh, smooth, taste great! I found this at Central Market HEB in San Antonio, Tx. I was looking for Lobo Bock which is a Texas double bock but they are still a small brewery so when I came across this I was continent and have been on the lobotomy kick since!

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

2.06/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well-marketed: Seeing the label, knowing that I like doppelbocks, 10.8%!! This should be great

Potential: Looks pretty good when poured into the glass. Decent head. Good dark ruby color.

Taste: What is this? Some blend of cola, dunkel beer, and water? No hops flavor. Mild malty tastes. It was a disappointment. I begin to doubt your commitment to the doppelbock name. 10.8% are you sure? Anything that strong leaves a different mouth-feel.

Residual Effect: I have 5 more of these in the fridge. What to do with them?

The doppelbock I made with a Mr. Beer kit was better than this, but it was very clean/smooth tasting. Not at all bitter.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

2.8/5  rDev -6%

Lobotomy Bock has a medium, beige head and a clear, brown (ruby red under light) appearance. Lacing is minimal. The aroma is quite faint, but a bit of sweet bread can be detected. Taste is a touch smokey, sweet, lightly chocolaty, a bit of coffee, and mostly just nothing, really. No hop bitterness is present. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, and Lobotomy Bock finishes like tap water. It’s hard to believe such a drink could have a 10.8% alcohol level. I found this only ordinary. Avoid.

RJT

2.85/5  rDev -4.4%

This is a very mediocre, uninteresting beer that does not even seem like a bock, much less a doppelbock. It seems more like a boring, pedestrian version of a dunkel. In fact, I find it impossible to believe that this is actually anything close to the 10.5% abv stated here, but I have no personal knowledge of the abv.

Almost black, it has a big tan head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and a little foamy lace.

Aroma is strong caramelised toasty barley and winey prunes.

Taste is dryish singed leaves, roasted barley, vague caramelly prunes, a little mineral. It is watery and thin in feel and character. Although reasonably enjoyable, it is thin, one-dimensional, exceedingly boring, and, as noted, really only like a slightly stronger dunkel in character.

When I drank this, I thought it was supposed to be a regular (not doppel) bock, and quickly determined that it could not fit that category. Any claim that this is supposed to be a doppelbock is incredible. That said, this is enjoyable enough to drink and warrant somewhat decent ratings from me. If I were to score this strictly as a doppelbock, the score would be far lower, but that is not my way, and I only factor the style in as one element.

Lobotomy Bock from Indian Wells Brewing Company