Lobotomy Bock | Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company
mojavered.com

Style: Doppelbock

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle pour at Field Of Drafts held at The Hanger in Lancaster, CA.

Pours a clear brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and caramel aromas. Taste is much the same with grain and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with and almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing too exciting.

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

2.91/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a hard beer to review and that is why I choose this to be my first review. I had high hopes for the Lobotomy Bock. The first one I had was marginal, but it was also one of the first few beers I ever had that strayed from the American Pilsner route. I had one and didnt give it much thought afterwards. Now a few years later, I picked up a case at the local Calandros.

The first beer of the case, I served in a glass from the bottle. The pour was acceptable, with a thin head. The color was a dark brown with a strong hint of golden red. I didnt have much time to admire the aesthetics though, because after a few years I was eager to drink up. The first taste that hit my palette was something I would rarely use in a beer description, Worcestershire. The taste I later refined down to a unique blend of smokey malts and cola. The first glass I had, was mediocre. But I would never leave a 6 pack with only one missing from the slot.

Over the next week I had a few more, until half-way through the case, the taste began to make sense. When I was trying to enjoy it as a normal Bock the flavor was too complex until I understood the cola additions. The beer felt weaker than expected for such a strong taste, and I am beginning to doubt the listed ABV. I still have a few left in the case and I am nervous about whether the next drink will be better, or if the tastes will be incoherent.

Overall - The best way to describe this drink is like a Mona Vie. It is not a drink for everyone, and many might find it down right disgusting at first, but after a few you will find yourself craving one every now and then. My recommendation is to try some other drinks first, but if you elect to buy a case, make sure you have more than just one. This beer takes some sophistication (possibly more than I currently have.)

2.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One finger of dark, tan head rests firmly atop this dark brow brew. A sliver of crimson wraps around the edges.

Smell is promising with rich milk chocolate, black licorice and a pan full of fresh baked banana bread.

Tastes of dark chocolate up front and little else until a focused retry reveals a bit of grape candy and subtle hops.

The body is light and crackery with a surprisingly small amount of alcohol heat noticed despite the ABV. If I would have guessed blind I would have said 5-6%*.

Not a lot going on with this one, and not much else to say.

* I did not read the previous review beforehand, but this is the most obvious quality of this beer.

2.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: A handsome color when poured; appears black but is a dark blood crimson under light.

S: Smells like a red lager, similar smell to Mojave Red. I really had to shove my face in the glass to get a good whiff. Some caramel and nutty notes.

T: Pleasant, light taste--similar to the Mojave Red. Not very flavorful and residual flavors leave the mouth quickly. Uncomplicated flavors, watered down. Unoffensive, mildly pleasant aftertaste.

M: Lobotomy Bock is a thin beer with a bland mouth-feel.

O: Unimpressive Bock that has tons of potential. Firstly, you'd never guess that Lobotomy is 10.8%. It tastes like a 4-5% brew--although I guess this is a plus for some. Mouth-feel and taste are forgetful. Lobotomy is too filtered and restrained for its own good. If I had to describe this brew in one word it would be "withdrawn". It has a lot less personality than I was expecting and I predict it will speak to very few individuals.

1.08/5  rDev -63.8%

An all around horrible beer. It has a strange grittiness to it, light alchohol and some oxidation. Claims to adhere to reinheitsgebot but i taste some additions in here. Interesting to know what their interpretation of reinheitsgebot is.

Boozy, caramely warm aftertaste. Thin off white head that quickly fades to a snapping beer. Too many things going on, i like my doppelbocks simpler.

Wouldn't buy again