Amnesia IPA | Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

Indian Wells Brewing Company
mojavered.com

Style: American IPA

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

Added by largadeer on 08-07-2008

1.98/5  rDev -19.8%

I've been reading and consulting BA for a long time, but this is the beer that made me register. It's the worst craft beer I've ever had. In addition to the sub par taste and aroma, the carbonation on it was out of control. First I sipped from the bottle and the gases kind of exploded in my mouth! Then I decided to pour into a glass to let it mellow out for a while. Despite my slow and careful pour, the foam overflowed and I was left with a head that took up most of the glass. I put it in the fridge to try again later - took one more sip and poured the rest down the sink. I live in Singapore now where American craft beer is super expensive (about $7 USD for a 12oz bottle), so I'm glad this was a gift and not something I bought myself.

1.88/5  rDev -23.9%

Mother of gawd, I didn't even look at the reviews before I reviewed this brew. But fack, this is just downright awful. this tastes like rotten fruit, and I even received a fresh bottle. This is just very bland, no citrus from "6" hops, just blah. I'm sorry, if you crafted this, I commend you, but please try this different. There's nothing from the hops other than bitter, the only thing noticeable is the bitter and the malt. The only good thing I can say from this is I'm feeling light headed. Can't believe I spent $7 on a bottle of this. Do yourself a favor if you're a beer nerd, you probably know the store owner, ask him for an exchange.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

3.2/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured straight from bottle to a chilled glass.

Appearance - To me it looks like your typical IPA, dark amber color with a touch of light brown. After pouring there wasn't much head, about a fingers worth. Quickly dissipates to a thin and hardly noticeable head. Noticeable lacing around the glass.

Smell - For some reason, I immediately thought of pizza dough when I took a sniff of this beer. Some caramel hints but not much hop presence that I can smell.

Taste - After reading some of the reviews on this one, I really didn't think this beer was going to taste good. I have to disagree here. The first thing I notice as I take a drink is the piney hop flavor that really presents itself without being too bitter. The hops tie in nicely to the malt and caramel flavors in this beer, but I will say that for an IPA it isn't as bitter as I would like. It does taste good, but it doesn't scream IPA.

Mouth - Feels light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down decently smooth but the carbonation lightly tickles the back of the throat. It is a little watery.

Overall - It seems that this is either a love it or hate it beer. I have to say that it isn't amazing but it is quite drinkable. My main gripe with it is that it really doesn't seem like a true IPA. The hops just aren't there like they should be. The other flavors that come through kind of make up for this, though. If you're expecting a true, bitter IPA then you will be disappointed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack but I may be tempted to pick up a single bottle later on down the road.

4.25/5  rDev +72.1%

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

3.58/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear amber color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. Has a malty, piney aroma. Actually not bad. The taste is where it goes south. Malty taste, but the bitter hop is taste a little more like something went bad. Almost like wet leaves. Somewhat astringent aftertaste. There is some caramel at the end. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. I don't think the beer is as bad as some reviews have said. I had this beer a couple years ago and did give it a much lower rating, but I am presently surprised compared to the last time.

3.25/5  rDev +31.6%