Amnesia IPA | Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

Indian Wells Brewing Company
mojavered.com

Style: American IPA

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

Added by largadeer on 08-07-2008

Liked:
2.55/5
Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

2.44/5  rDev -4.3%

A big light tan head settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored IPA.

Sour grains and light earthy pine with a weird soapiness aroma.

Light caramel malts with a light sour to almost soapy pine and maybe a hint of floral hops taste.

A light dry aftertaste with hints of caramel on this medium bodied beer.

Not much for a IPA, might work as a light amber, light red, either way I think I'm gonna have to pass on buying any more beers from Indian Wells, unless of course down the road I hear that things have changed for the better their.

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.95/5  rDev +54.9%

Dark gold/pale amber, it has a big off-white head slowly shrinking to thin foamy head that is lasting, and a little foamy lace.

Aroma is juicy wet leaves, spicy, faint Bergamot plus grapefruit, raisins, green apple.

Taste is leafy with green apples, hint of Bergamot, light juiciness and mineral, toasty grain. It has restrained bitterness balanced by light sweetness and a light marmalade finish. Overall, character is fairly mild, but has enough interest and a pleasantly firm character nevertheless, and is nicely balanced. This is one of the best beers from this brewer in my book. I wouldn't really say it's a great example of an IPA, but it is a very enjoyable, slightly different beer that nevertheless has firm hop character.

2.61/5  rDev +2.4%

Received as an extra in a trade with Rizalini... thanks Bryin. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A - slightly hazy, orangeish, very little head and what there was dissipated quickly. Just a slight bit of lacing from the first ring.

S - medicinal, earthy, a slight bit of pine, no citrus, but almost like cooked vegetables. strange smell - definitely not a true hoppy IPA smell.

T - Decent - nothing special, but nothing too nasty. I was a little worried considering the other reviews.

M - Kind of flat. Not a lot of carbonation. Not really smooth. One and done with this one. Glad I only had 1.

Overall - avoid. Nothing special here. I think the Poor rating is maybe just a bit harsh, but I definitely wouldn't buy it.

2.58/5  rDev +1.2%

Was given to me as a gift for helping a friend. Seen this brewery at Total Wine a number of times but never picked any up.

Beer poured a golden orange with a thin small head.

Nose is funky, kind of citrus gone bad with some pale malts.

Taste is pretty unexciting, some toasted grainy malts to start. Finishes with a light citrus hop. It is pretty uneven and not meshing well.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, fairly average.

Overall this beer is off from what i would expect. Not sure if i got a bad bottle but in looking at the average scores "It is what it is".

3.39/5  rDev +32.9%

This is a very weird beer. Amnesia I.P.A. has a thin, egg-shell colored head and a hazy, dark amber appearance that really clouds up once one swishes the bottom 20% and pours it in. Little brown chunks are also floating about. The aroma is rich, caramel, grapefruit, and spicy, but the flavor comes across flat, watery, somewhat fruity (turned fruit, really), and odd. Mouthfeel is medium and fluffy, and Anmesia I.P.A. finishes fairly refreshing, yet one gets a bit of a turned flavor. Certainly, if nothing else, it's interesting. I'd say it's worth a try for those who like off-the-wall beer flavors.

RJT

2.5/5  rDev -2%

2.91/5  rDev +14.1%

A: a dirty orange color, some amber hues, semi hazy, looks like no filtered beer, there is almoust no carb and no head at all, dissipates so fast

S: not smell at all, there is no hops aroma no floral, no citrusy, no piny, a little caramel, honey and nutty

T: so flat, a little hops, medium body, musty and dry finish

1.34/5  rDev -47.5%

I don't know why people buy this stuff but it always seems to be around. 12oz bottle, no freshness date, poured to a Stone IPA glass.

Beige tinted 2" head, that shows decent retention, and actually leaves a bit of honeycomb lacing on its way down and leaves rings throughout. Color is not great though. Medium brown and quite hazy and cloudy.

Smell, what smell? If you really get in there you can pull a hint of roast malt. Taste is awful. I prefer BMC. Slight burnt malt, yeasty, and caramel with a metallic finish, mmm. Slight bitterness and a watery thin mouthfeel.

God awful.

2.02/5  rDev -20.8%

A - Slightly hazed amber with an off-white head that leaves descent lacing.

S - Sugary toffee malt, some buttery diacetyl, leafy, butterscotch

T - Medicinal-like herbal hops, toffee underneath, some band-aid and buttery flavors mixing around. Some light unkown fruitiness. The rough medicinal-herb flavor grows stronger as it warms and gets pretty distracting.

M - Good carbonation, light to medium body.

Good looking and average mouthfeel but there's something not right about this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -20.4%

I just bought a six pack of this garbage from a liquor store down the street. While I love trying new beers I should have known better when I asked the owner of the store if it's any good and his reply was "I don't know, I don't drink.".

I am not even going to get into details, shit beer. My first few batches of homebrew blow doors over this crap.

1.99/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another great thanks to spycow for supplying us with this amazing brew.

A - A little bit brownish for an IPA, but looks fine. Brownish orange color with a hazy body and a pretty nice looking white head it. Moderate lace.

S - Smells obnoxiously sweet and candy like.

T - Not sure what this taste is excactly. Broccoli? Cauliflower? Odd herbal and garden tastes. Not good at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Maybe the taste is making my mind play tricks on me, but somehow it feels gross.

O - Yuck. Don't drink this. Freakin' horrible.

2.09/5  rDev -18%

Thanks to Chris (Spycow) for this gem. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - This beer actually looks pretty good. Generous white foam has surprisingly good retention and settles to some wisps, a thick collar, and splotchy lace. The body is a murky orange-brown color.

S - No idea on freshness, but this smells like sugar. Just sugar. Cloying and strange sweetness.

T - The taste is even worse, with strange herbs, watery cauliflower, and a hint of seltzer water. No obvious bitterness, and the finish is mercifully quick.

M - Medium bodied, medium-low carbonation, slimy. I suppose one positive is the well-hidden ABV.

D - Easily one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. Competitive with Keith's.

2.65/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Colored like dried tobacco, slightly hazy at first pour, but it mellows out and becomes clear.

S - Smells a bit like candy corn, a little sugary and buttery. There is a citric smell in there as well.

T - There is a hop presence, and it comes off kind of like lime. It is polluted, however, by diacetyl, and a weird butterieness that isn't very good.

M - Builds up a coating in your mouth. Not really a fan here.

O - Not a terrible brew, but not one worth going for either.

2.91/5  rDev +14.1%

I bought a couple of bottles of Amnesia IPA while traveling recently in Nevada. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright a copper color and is clear. Creamy white two-finger head caps the beer and leaves some dainty lace rings on the glass.

Smell is faint and fairly nondescript. A hint of citrus aroma perhaps.

Taste is a little fruity upfront, Pink grapefruit and sweet lemon, but then it gives way to a dry bitterness with a soapy flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp effervescent and clean.

Overall I think it is better than most of the reviews it is getting here. It's drinkable, but I probably wouldn't have it again.

1.76/5  rDev -31%

Wow, one of the worst beers I've ever had! Pours a dark copper, almost ruby. Clear, no head, retention or lacing. Smell is soapy and yeasty (I swear). Taste is way off. Slightly grassy, more soap, off taste, very slight hops. Mouthfeel was fine but that doesnt make up for much. Just not a great beer and my first drain pour I've had in forever.

2.96/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a tulip.

A - Reddish-gold, with 3-4 fingers of off-white head that's dropping, but leaving thin, intricate lacing. I wasn't expecting sediment, so when it showed up in the last ounce or so I accidentally let some in, and it's showing off a feathery plume in the center of the glass. Besides the unintentional yeast, this looks pretty damn good.

S - Smells reminiscent of a German [doppel]bock. Some nice, caramelly malts and something that smells like lager yeast, I think. There's something a little off that I can't place, but that might be paranoia. Not very interesting, but fine.

T - Kinda bland. There are some decent amber and caramel sweet malts, and it's rather smooth. Some yeast flavor, but not much. The slightest bit of hops in the aftertaste. I think dumping in some sediment helped this beer by giving me more to taste.

M - Thin to medium mouthfeel, with a touch of carbonation. Not bad.

Overall, meh. This isn't actively bad; it's merely passively bad. Just... meh. Considering how similar this experience was to the last killshot, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is Indian Wells -- perhaps Lobotomy Bock? What an appropriate name that would be.

Non-blind comments: Well, I got the brewery right, but... Amnesia IPA? Really?? There is no way in hell this is an IPA. As I'm finishing up the glass, I guess I can see some more hoppish qualities, but that's just because I'm looking for it. If I had been rating to style (not blind), I probably would have been harsher.

2.18/5  rDev -14.5%

Found on sale @7,99 so I thought I would give it a whirl. Poured from bottle into a goblet. color is an amber with small white head that left quickly with little lacing. Smelled of caramel malts with over ripe apricots. Mild hop aroma. Taste was much like the smell with mostly malt coming thru. Not to style and a total dissipointment. Beer was thin and watery and after a few minutes was flat. Overall it was not to style, more like a mild Scottish ale that would rate a C-, nothing like and IPA. I did't drainpour but didn't really enjoy.

1.8/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Pours a muddy amber with a foamy off white head and lots of sticky lacing. Odd looking to say the least.

S-Lots of caramel malt, little to no discernible hop presence.

T-Pretty bad really. Pungent with a very light malt presence; some tangy hops in the mid palate.

M-Thin, watery, blah.

D-Pretty much undrinkable.

HV

3.03/5  rDev +18.8%

Served on tap in a pilsner glass at the Brewery. The beer had an amber color to it, with a decent thick, foamy head. Minimal hops aroma in comparison to most IPAs. The beer had a mild hop-forward flavor, and tasted almost in between the flavors of tradition west coast fresh-hop IPAs and east coast IPAs. The feel of it was unremarkable in mouth, with a flat, crisp edge to it. Aftertaste was also middle of the road when compared to most IPAs. The beer itself was easy to drink, and the flavor was enjoyable. One of the stronger productions from this brewery, but mediocre with what is available out there in the IPA genre.

Amnesia IPA from Indian Wells Brewing Company