Geary's Winter Ale

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Geary's Winter AleGeary's Winter Ale
Notes: Geary’s new Winter Ale is a well balanced and more aggressive bitter, both in alcohol and hop character, without being overpowering. It is dark gold and coppery in color with moderate carbonation. Malt flavors are toasty and fruity, resulting in a tasty blend with firm body balanced by English hops.
View: Beers
Reviews: 121 | Ratings: 169 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Oleyomoleyo:
Oleyomoleyo from North Carolina

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Did not care for the this at all. Have had many better winter ales and many better beers from Gearys.

Apr 09, 2015
tclapper from Maine

Dec 21, 2011
Smakawhat from Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

From on tap a tight cream colored bubbles of 1 finger size, with a gorgeous dark red clear color, and excellent lacing. Really good looking beer this one is.

Bouquet is slightly floral, but mostly of tasty cream. Hints of burnt fireplace embers, roasting, and a big brown sugar smell.

Taste has a root beer quality to it with some faint hop, sassafrass, and faint cola with an alcohol feel that has a winter warmer quality. Fruit cherry finish with light brown sugar and a little alcohol sting. You either like this in this beer or you don't and I do.

However, it is odd for this style and somewhat confusing, it tastes more like a cream ale but I would love to have this again anytime.

Dec 24, 2010
ToasterChef from Maine

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

A cellar temperature bottle is poured into a beer mug. The mug fills with a brown liquid with a good amount of visible carbonation. An egg shell colored head is made up of cascading bubbles of various sizes. A little bit of lacing is left behind.

A pleasant malty aroma has notes of chocolate and vanilla. It's warm and sweet, but not too strong.

Well balanced malts make up the flavor. There is some chocolate, candi sugar and a slight nuttiness. It's not a spicy winter ale, but a tasty warming one.

Medium body and carbonation. A wet, slick coat is left behind. It isn't too thick. It retains a good amount of flavor.

I can drink a lot of this beer. It's tasty, not too strong, and readily available this time of year.

Jan 16, 2011
yossarian14 from Massachusetts

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

I am utterly unimpressed. To start with, Only SN really pulls off an IPA as their winter seasonal. I don't need a winter warmer, but there is nothing wintery or seasonal about this brew. Be that as it may..it is still an unimpressive English IPA.

Pours a hazed gold with little head. Smells lemony, buttery. Reminds me of my blue moon with a lemon days (they were short lived) Tastes hoppier than it smells, but not until the end, and there is a lasting bitterness. I guess I would call the mouthfeel soapy. It feels slick and bubbly. I'm not really enjoying this.

If I drank this out of a bottle in the heat of summer and it were called a summer ale I wouldn't complain, but thats not the case, and I'm complaining

Jan 22, 2009
changeup45 from Florida

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Intense hop floral finish? Not really. Actually I wasn't completely sure this was considered an IPA. Pours a darker golden color, medium-bodied and a pretty good amount of head on top. A little more malty than hoppy in the aroma. Some hops with a sweet malty taste and doesn't have an agressive hop bite I'd like in an IPA. Decent beer though

Aug 24, 2008
thekevlarkid from Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Grabbed a six pack while traveling through L-A, ME. Out of the bottle this one was a clear, orange color with a foamy white head. The retention was average, the lacing sub-standard. The aroma was slightly musty and macro-lager like with hints of caramel and toffee. The flavors were ok, but really quite bland. Standard malt, hints of spices and generic hops. Nothing offensive, but totally unimpressive. The body was medium, the mouthfeel slightly prickly and the carbonation medium to high. For a craft beer I though it was pretty crappy and a shame to have to drink six...

Jan 27, 2009
OtherShoe2 from Massachusetts

Pours a deep copper with a fair head to start. A little lacing.

Smells of sweet roasted malt, some fruit.

Malt and alcohol dominate here, with some sweet, fermented stone fruit notes and a touch of butter. The hops are present but not exceptional. Touch of brown sugar/caramel. Lots of pieces, but all from different puzzles. Just alright, but off.

Medium body, alcohol warmth, and kinda a burnt finish.

Gave it a shot, but not the best. I wouldn't refuse if offered, and not the worst example, but I won't go out of my way for this.

Dec 24, 2008
Mosstrooper from California

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a large, fluffy off-white head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind many large spots of lace.

Smell: Sweet white grapes and apple, with a hint of citrus. Also has hints of earthy hops or maybe yeast.

Taste: Begins with a pear-like flavor, middling out to some buttery malt and finishing with a champagne-like flavor with some decent bitterness at the very end.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation and a dry-ish finish.

Drinkability: A good beer overall and one of the more unique IPAs I have had. I would enjoy having this beer again, but it doesn't really seem suited for winter.

Jan 03, 2011
PerzentRizen from Mississippi

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer was obtained in a trade with a guy in New Hampshire but I can't remember who...damn it if you are he then send me a beermail so I can edit this and give you credit.

Appearance is a dark straw yellow to orange color. There is no and I mean no head or lacing on this one. I can't even manage to get a little head.

The smell is actually a little offensive. It smells like corn and or rice might be in this one. Rice belongs in sake and corn belongs on the cobb folks!

Okay I'm now a little shocked! The appearance and smell weren't that great but the flavor is actually really good. There is a tart hop flavor in the finish that recedes to a sweet malty goodness. I'm surprised it tastes this good. Very refreshing!

The Mouthfeel is very light and more in line with my tastes. It is a bit light for the style but I won't dock any points.

I could drink a couple more of these and to me that's a good sign. I would put this beer on par with some of the macro-euro lagers as far as most characterics are concerned. I would still reach for this over a heine any day but that's just not saying much.

Overall I'd say not bad.

Apr 21, 2009
Thorpe429 from Illinois

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a moderate amber-brown color with an off-white head and some light lacing. The nose carries some caramel and a bit of toffee. Some bready malt in the background. Light vanilla. Not sure this was much of an EIPA. Either way, I appreciated the light malt character throughout. Almost like a barleywine-light. Maybe a faded bottle already? Either way, fairly enjoyable. Caramel and bread through the flavor. Medium body with a pleasant chewiness. Not fantastic or out of the ordinary, but a well-made brew.

Jan 07, 2012
donkeyrunner from Massachusetts

3.76/5  rDev +8.7%

I'm not sure I'm buying an IPA as a winter offering. Oh yeah, Sierra Celebration. Nevermind.

Clear orangey gold with a large white head. Good retention and lace. Leafy, grassy hop aroma with tons o' butter--it smells fine, just not that strong. Taste is a buttery, biscuity Ringwood paradise. Peppery hop with grassy undertones for good balance. Fairly crisp.

Not much of an IPA (even by English standards) but a big, buttery balanced pale in it's own right. This beer will only go as far one's love for Ringwood.

Mar 04, 2010
JayNH from New Hampshire

2.43/5  rDev -29.8%

Beer has a decent appearance. Smells malty to me, little hop scent. The taste is where it all went wrong. The beer starts off slightly sweet, but finishes watery. mouthfeel is also thin and watery. Overall I was very disappointed with this brew. It's lacking in hoppiness and is watery tasting. It's not a "bad" beer, just dissapointing for an IPA. I would not buy it again.

Nov 24, 2008
magnusdave from New York

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Mar 12, 2013
bpfrush from Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Nov 14, 2011
Liverpool08 from Massachusetts

This is a unique and very nice Warmer. It breaks from tradition with a whole different kind of flavor. This has a very smooth creamy Maple/gingerbread taste. Its like a warm serving of liquid waffles. Its certainly not going to be a beer for everyone, but I like it. Smooth, creamy and not too overly sweet.

Dec 24, 2010
EgadBananas from Louisiana

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to papallo for this!

Never thought about an EIPA as a winter ale, but I dig some EIPA's so who am I to complain?

Pours a light coppery color with a nearly white head. Looks pretty decent.

Smells pretty evenly of buttery malts and bitter hops. Par for the style, but only a bit above average.

Medium bodied, but closer to a lighter feel. Nothing bad, nothing too out the ordinary though.

Pretty damn drinkable and a damn decent take on the style... nice choice of a winter ale IMO.

Jul 11, 2010
NuclearRich from Connecticut

Jan 15, 2012
wrightst from Maryland

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Jul 12, 2014
andrewinski1 from New Hampshire

3.46/5  rDev 0%

This one was left at my house after New Year's so I'll give it a go. Poured into a pint glass. Nice one inch light colored head on top of a hazeless copper colored body.

As I pour this guy I get a nice whiff of banana. This smells like chocolate malted milk bells. I'm expecting a whopper. Pretty interesting.

The taste has a nice sweet maltiness to it and a hint of crisp bitterness is noticed in the finish. This is a little sweeter than I expected. The chocolate malt flavor is also prominent in the taste.

The carbonation is a little sharper than I would like for this. I imagine a smooth creamy texture, but this isn't terrible.

This is more enjoyable than expected. I might actually get this when I'm out on the town some time.

Jan 07, 2011
CheckMate from Maine

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

12oz screw-top brown bottle purchased at Hannaford's in Augusta, ME. pours a golden yellow with a quarter of an inch of off white head that dissipated slowly. scents of hops grace the nose, lemon, with a little bit of caramel in the background. Hops are definitely present, with bits of lemon and caramel in the background of the flavor. medium bodied with a clean finish. the taste of the hops isn't very astringent with makes the drink a lot more welcoming.

Cheers!

Dec 30, 2009
berley31 from Canada

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Poured with an average-sized, white head that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Body is a dark yellow color, and completely clear.

S: There's a slight maltiness to the aroma, but overall it's kind of skunky and unimpressive.

T: Some malt in the flavor, balanced with a bit of bitterness, but overall it's quite harsh. There's something unpleasant that I can't identify, but it's what I remember there being in the Geary's Summer Ale, which is supposed to be a completely different style of beer.

M: Medium-bodied, slightly creamy, with average carbonation.

D: This beer isn't that good... I wouldn't buy one again. Aside from the Pale Ale, I've never really had a good Geary's experience.

Dec 30, 2009
rinhaak from Massachusetts

2.24/5  rDev -35.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

My bottle had a very different label than the photo shown here, though it was named the same. Blue label with the name "Geary's" in big, red, bold letters at a 45° angle across the front.

Pours a nice dark brown, almost black hue with a solid head. Sadly, this was all I liked with this beer. It was overly sweet, with strong vanilla flavors that did not seem natural. The vanilla overpowered both the nose and mouth and was hard to move beyond. There were some chocolate malts mixed in there somewhere as well.

I am not against a vanilla-flavored winter ale; though it's not my favorite style in general, I have had some I quite enjoy. This beer, however, was so strong in the vanilla, that it tasted like the brewer dumped a ton of imitation vanilla extract into each bottle. And for the first time ever, I could not even finish the beer in my glass.

Mar 30, 2011
seedyone from New York

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

04/23/14 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Not sure what's up here. Normally I favor 'winter' brews but this has me wondering. There's a dryness in the aftertaste that I'm attributing to an over spicyness. Just as too much cinnamon doesn't taste good without the right amount of sugar, so too, the spices here are unbridled. All that malt & spice w/no sugar creates a bitter aftertaste that's off putting.

Aug 16, 2014
joedon from Minnesota

2.91/5  rDev -15.9%

I bought this in a mixed six-pack at Charles St. Liquors in Boston. So far, only the Hampshire Special was any good. This is another lame beer like their Pale Ale.
Dull gold color and a weak white head. No aroma worth noting. Taste is fuller and hoppier than the pale but still pretty tame for an IPA. Probably comes up to just below my idea of a pale ale. I know the category is English IPA but it just doesn't do much for me.

Dec 19, 2006