Geary's Hampshire Special Ale | D.L. Geary Brewing Company

D.L. Geary Brewing Company
Maine, United States
gearybrewing.com

Style: English Strong Ale

Once Maine’s legendary seasonal specialty, Hampshire is now available year round. Hampshire has a huge toasted malt flavor balanced by assertive hoppiness. The finish is long and lingering with the malt and hop notes blending with alcohol warmth. Original gravity - 1070; alcohol by volume - 7%; two row English malts (pale, crystal and chocolate); Cascade, Mt. Hood and East Kent Golding hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Brown with a thick beige head that lingered.

Smell: Malts mostly and some nutty notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Malt taste with a nutty aftertaste.

Overall: Not bad. I would not go out my way to have it again though.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured Golden-Orange with 1/8 inch head from a 12oz twist-off bottle purchased at Peabody’s in Boone, NC.

Very fruity with a crisp after taste, mild hop smell, light lacing and light carbonation. The 7% alcohol is hidden well. A fair beer that could use a tad more hops. Fruitier than my taste, still not bad but I won’t be making any special trips to Maine for this one.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

This poured out as a clear looking golden color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was decent, nothing too exciting though. The taste of the beer had a good amount of malts and grain flavors with a dry bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was lighter than I expected. The carbonation wasn't bad either. Overall this was an average beer in my opinion.

3.11/5  rDev -20.9%

This is a disappointment - love the ads - brewed only while the weather sucks, or something like that. There are much better winter beers. Just not what I expected.

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Classic looking label that shows forest, mountains, and horizon. Dark amber in color with reddish and burnt orange hues. No head, but a slight ring and island.
S: Caramel and nut scents with sweet malt, toffee and sweet bread smell. Some slight cake and biscuit. Just plain smells sweet.
T: Follows smell with lots of malt and sweet, malty bread throughout. Caramel up front with roasted flavors near end. Some toffee and a faint hint of hops. Smooth, buttery flavors throughout.
MF: Full and buttery with a slightly dry finish.
Overall: Not my favorite style, but a decent, good brew that does nothing to wow me. Sweet and malty with a full body. Probably not one I'd try again, but glad I tried it at all.

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this one up on a whim. I'd only had on other Geary's beer before, their pale ale, and had enjoyed it thoroughly. This however caught me off guard. I had no clue this was an english style, and was still not aware when I drank the first bottle from the six pack. This review comes from the my fourth bottle had of this beer.

Appearance: A vigorous pour gave this ale a one and half finger head which quickly disintegrated to almost nothing, a light thread of bubbles which left no lacing. Color was a deep orange, very clear, almost tea-like.

Smell: I got a light hint of caramel malt as well as tea/tobacco leaf scents. However the overall aroma was weak.

Taste: I have to admit flavours I got in this beer were interesting, even if a bit odd. The tea leaf taste was the most apparent following a coffee like taste along with other herby tangs. The hops only seem to leave an ashy taste, but that maybe interpreted as smoky the some.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly this beer did have a nice weight to it. More firm than I've been use to with all the ipa i've been drinking lately. Only a mild acidity and a smooth finish.

Drinkability: I gotta say I can't see myself drinking this beer very often. All the grassy, earthy tastes are not something I enjoy in beer. I might come back to something like this once and a while, but probably just to remind of me what those tastes are.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Nice clear amber body with a just-slightly-off white head, starting at 1/2" of chunky bubbles and thinning out pretty quickly.

Aroma: Roasty and nutty and a tad sweet.

Taste & Mouthfeel: The sweet nuttiness starts off the sip and gives way very quickly to a hot, abrasive taste and feel that seems to be party alcohol and partly hops, and is not especially pleasant. The hop bitterness is actually kind of sour, with gritty citrus notes dominating. Suddenly, all of this fades away into a nice, dry roasty finish. Hm. Carbonation is just right, though. [On edit, after trying several more bottles: after you get used to the hops, which I don't especially like, the malt profile is actually quite full & complex, so I'm bumping up the score a little.]

Drinkability: The combination of alcoholic hotness and rather overwhelming citrus hoppiness would probably keep me to just one.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

12 ounce bottle in a Duvel tulip.

Pours a deep slightly hazy amber with a finger or so of off-white head. This sticks around for a brief moment before disappearing into a skim and a bubbly collar. A few small spots of wet lacing here and there.

Pleasant, if uninspiring, caramel nose with background notes of overripe apples and fresh bread. A bit of fig newtons in there. Flavors are more lively, apple Jolly Ranchers with caramel and a hint of black pepper. Sounds weird, but works pretty well.

Overall impression: Not bad at all, but probably not something I'd revisit.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Amber color, minimal head. does not leave any lacing

S-Carmel and malt. Nothing else.

Taste Carmel and malt. You get the picture...

Mouthfeel. - Moderate mouthfeel. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability-This beer is very one dimensional. All carmel and malt. if you like these flavors, you will like this beer. The carmel is not overwhelming however, so it does go down easy

3.24/5  rDev -17.6%