Doppel-Hirsch | Der HirschBrau/Privatbrauerei Höss

hirschbraeu.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 10-06-2001

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

This was a dopple bock I could consistently get in the BX over in germany, so it always had a slight soft spot in my heart, but certainally not amongst my top picks. But these guys would market 4-bottle variety pack & I dug that

Pours chestnut with a 1" white head. Slight lacing and head retention

Smell: Rich maltiness. some fruitiness

Taste: Big malt, fruitiness, peppery spice and hints of licorice. Dry
fruitty & alcohol on the finish

MF: Chewy and balanced, slight under carbonation. Got a good pop when I hit the swing top, so don't think that was a factor

Very drinkable, the 7.2 abv doesn't factor too much. This actually tasted fresher than most samples (most weren't refrigerated) I drank in GE, go figure. Maybe alittle to light for the style, but not by much. Give this a shot

500ml into nonic

Deep mahogany with a one inch light tan head that lasts a while, and eventually dissapears to a bubby rim. Stringy lacing along the glass.

Deep brown sugar aromas with a bit of alochol spice. Maybe a bit of caramel as well.

Tasty dark caramel along with a sugary deep malt base. There isn't much hop flavor in this one, as usual. There is some light spice in the taste. Full bodied with slightly lower carbonation. The feel is smooth and thick. The finish is a little bit of bittering malt.

This one is pretty complex, and delicious. It's pretty easy to drink this one "too fast" without enjoying it. Recommended.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

I have to start out by saying that the reason I bought this beer without looking it up here first was the great looking bottle.

Okay, well, to me it looks like really strong iced tea in the glass. A nice dark brown, not opaque, and almost cloudy.

The first thing that popped into my head when I smelled it was a fresh ball of yeasty dough. After that I could get a slight whiff of alcohol. I really liked the aroma of this beer so much that every time I took a drink I would take a deep sniff.

The mouth feel is smooth with a creamy/crisp carbonation, not too much bite. I little more watery than I was expecting but not unpleasant.

Taste is a combination of bready sweet malts and then a faint hop to balance out the sweetness and then almost a tart black cherry or red wine. the warmer this gets the more you notice the hops but they are just right, not too much of a bite.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's hard to not gulp it down. I have to admit that I am still a little tipsy from this brew because I couldn't help drinking it so fast! I hope I can find another one of these (or several) and I highly recommend it, especially if you aren't real familiar to the style.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance - A clear dark copper with red tone. The carbonation provides a good creamy head to start which recedes to a thin uniform layer that covers the surface. Very little lacing in my stein.

Smell - Very mild and clean. Some sweet maltiness but not a lot to pick-up.

Taste - sweet maltiness in the start with a light rum-nut-fruit flavour and yet a clean finish. Low bitterness and aftertaste in the finish.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and creamy on the palate with medium body. Low carbonation makes it very drinkable but a little flat half way through the pint.

Drinkability - very drinkable and I could easily have another. This is a very good beer. I just wish it had a little more carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I've got to preface this review with the fact that I'm not an expert on this style so my considerations here may not be with the best comparative palate. That said...

Pours from the ceramic topped bottle a deep copper-amber to brown color. Very little head if any and little carbonation. Coffee colored edging.
The aroma is of dried fruit, malt, caramel and alcohol. It smells sweeter than it tastes.
The taste is big and malty, but very clean. it's got a rounded malt-caramel flavor with a nice clean finish and some middle fruitiness. It settled right into my dessert of chocolate.
The mouthfeel has very little body for the full-strength in taste. It also lacks considerable carbonation which disappoints.
Pretty nice, would have another.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16.9 oz brown flip-top bottle with no freshness date from HDT Importers Inc.

Appearance: Deep reddish brown hue with a glowing clarity. Thin on the head … minimal stickage on the glass.

Smell: Earthy malt with sweet melanoidin aromas. Hint of spice in the alcohol and faint herbal hop as well.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Very creamy with a battle between the crispness and a slickness in the full malty body. Fresh brown bread, pumpernickel crust and almost caramel malt flavor. Suggestions of black tea and chicory in the back. Touch of alcohol warms the mouth. Hops smooth things out with just enough to balance, finishes with a toasted malt sweetness that is not cloying at all.

Drinkability & Notes: Quite complex with a delicious readiness to it. I don’t know whether to sip this or quaff it … then the malt and alcohol reminds me it is a bigger brew. Went very well with the buffalo burger with mild cheddar on a bulky roll.

Doppel-Hirsch from Der HirschBrau/Privatbrauerei Höss