Allgauer Oktoberfest | Der HirschBrau/Privatbrauerei Höss

Der HirschBrau/Privatbrauerei Höss
Germany
hirschbraeu.de

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by plaid75 on 12-04-2006

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell consisted of a light caramel malt with a good dose of noble hop.

The taste featured a light caramel sweetness with a good balancing spicy hop. Doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was medium with good carbonation.

Overall a pretty good Oktoberfest. Very drinkable and not overly sweet.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

I dedicate this beer to my Dzedo, who just passed. What a great man, I'm very proud to have him as a role model.

.5 L bottle poured into my Meantime Snifter, Allgauer Oktoberfest is a clear golden copper with a small white head that is pretty quick to settle but leaves pretty nice lace. Not quite as light as the blonde o-fests, nor in true märzen territory with the color.

Smell has soft but very distinct frutiness, apricots, most unusual.
Served cold. I normally knock points when they're not to style, especially with the blond o-fests, but this one is too good - must be the Belgian lover in me.

Taste is also pretty estery, or whatever that distinct apricot taste is. Otherwise, an almost vanishing cleanliness to the flavor, with a very light malt backbone and very slight lingering graininess. Really strange for the style or anything for that matter, but damn I like it!

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, tight bubbled carbonation that is crisp without being sharp.

Drinkability is damn good, what a tasty beer, lager for ale lovers! Not what I was looking for in the style, but good enough I couldn't hold that against it. I recognize that the big 6 in München have been dumbing down the tent beers and going this route, and while I don't care for that at all, this one straddles the divide with a unique flavor of it's own.

Allgauer Oktoberfest from Der HirschBrau/Privatbrauerei Höss