Zywiec Beer | Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

Zywiec BeerZywiec Beer
3.05/5
Zywiec BeerZywiec Beer

Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)
Poland
zywiec.com.pl

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by Todd on 10-08-2001

3.75/5  rDev +23%

3.36/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Nazdrowia! That's how you say cheers in Poland. This is the Polish equivalent of a Bud or Molson Canadian, and it can be found in every bar, in every city, in every Disko, right across Poland. Living there and being a young guy, I was naturally drawn to the social aspect of this beer. Everyone was drinking it between shots of wodka, this was pretty good stuff. The women usually got a couple of pumps of raspberry syrup and drank it from a straw?? Weird, not really my thing. Until I discovered Tyskie and Okocim, this was my go-to/have a fun time/party beer! It pours an average light yellow, smells pretty blah and isn't really something worthy of writing a long review about. So I leave you with this: when in Poland, drink what the Polish drink and that is Zywiec!

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

As I was wrapping up at Purdue (through the Indianapolis campus at IUPUI) I was presented with an opportunity to travel abroad and help educate students in Poland. We hit two cities on our tour of Poland; both sister colleges of Purdue University. While there we drank… a LOT. From the vodka to the beers, we pretty much drank every night of the week. But it was part of it. I have since become obsessed with vodka (mostly potato vodka) and always find an excuse to talk about the trip with friends, family, and strangers alike. Working at Total Wine & More I talk about my time spend in Poland in the vodka isle. People trust the Polish when it comes to vodka!

I drank beer in Poland, too. This is one of them. I had more of their porter, and while that is on the list and also in the fridge, I wanted to get this one out of the way. It is a Euro pale lager, and while not like the pale beers here in the United States, has a lasting and memorable flavor. I try to order this any chance I get. Whether you are living in Europe or right here in the United States of America, this is a good and readily accessible beer. Tonight I toast my friends from Poland and my time spent over seas. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Boring doesn't even begin to explain this beer in the glass. It looks like a cheap domestic. There is little head, and the lace is weak. But imagine sitting in Warsaw, drunk with your classmates. Then the beer looks amazing! I have so many memories from that trip. From seeing Juwenalia to waking up drunk, the trip was great for reasons other than the obvious. Anyway, the beer in the glass looks boring!

Nose: This smells better than I remember. It was a few years ago, so I don't really remember appreciating beer for what it was. Plus, this beer has been made for years. Over 100 years, to be honest. I wonder how the beer has changed over the years. It has a typical European beer aroma to it, and makes me want to just chug this until the glass is empty. I think of German beers when I smell this one.

Flavor: This beer is VERY drinkable. It has some nice notes up front, and then finished smooth and refreshing. This is nothing more than a good drinking beer. They serve these in HUGE glasses (or mugs) over there… and for good reason. The ABV here is low, but you could chug this stuff all day long.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty boring. Not much going on. Not too many bubbles, and the focus here is the finish and the aftertaste. When I move this around in my mouth, there are some intense bubbles… but that is nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: Maybe the best part of the beer. It is somewhat dry, with a nice pale finish. It is a Euro pale lager, so there aren't as many hops as you would expect from something made on this side of the pond… but it's nice. The finish has me craving for another sip!

Like I said, I spent some time in Poland. I remember drinking this in the airport and in the streets of Jeżów. I remember even ordering this at dinner our first night there. If you have never been to Europe, go. I don't care what country you visit, just go see how life is over there. From meeting and talking to strangers in Paris to ordering drinks from a Russian in Italy, life overseas is something that everyone should be privy to. This beer has a lot of meaning to me… and I will never forget my time spend in Poland.

Żywiec - The bottle says: "Poland's No. 1 Beer"

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

3.63/5  rDev +19%

A- Golden and crystal clear with a fine white head

S-Hay and fresh cut grass, reminds me of summer in farm country, a little bit of funk

T-Sweet and malty up front some what corn flavored, rather light flavor, very little bitterness. No serious off flavors. Quite clean tasting. Could use a bit more hop character to balance. Maybe a touch less sweetness.

M-Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slightly sweet and acidic finish. On the edge of being cloying for this style.

O-Surprisingly tasty for a macrobrew. Way more character than most domestic American offerings.

2.71/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a bright golden with a light sticky white head.

The smell is slightly metallic, coppery, with a touch of light sweet malt.

The flavor is light and a touch grainy with a hint of a metallicy finish.

The mouthfeel is light with good carbonation.

A pretty boring, very average beer, nothing bad, but nothing to get excited about.

3.01/5  rDev -1.3%

Two finger head that is fueled by tiny bubbles that comes from the bottom of the glass.
Clean pale golden color.
Malty and grassy hops aroma, smells similar to a German pilsner.
Good carbonation with medium bubbles.
Taste was a bit surprising, I was expecting more hops, not so bitter and a predominant sweet malty taste. Felt a little oxidation. Not so refreshing and today was a quite hot day.
Light body, but denser than pilsners. The 5.6% alcohol is perceived more than usual. Regular beer.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Zywiec Beer from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)