Tatra | Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

TatraTatra

Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)
Poland
zywiec.com.pl

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by UnionMade on 11-26-2004

3.46/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a 500mL can from sherbrooke liquor store in Edmonton.

It pours a nice golden yellow with a couple of fingers of head, although this dissipates rather quickly. The beer has very little smell to it - although there are some faint malty aromas which are prevalent. The taste is very pleasant - it's a wee bit sweet but has some solid bitter notes to it - this is something that is not often achieved flawlessly in a euro lager, but the brewers here did a pretty decent job. The mouthfeel is good - fairly light with some moderate carbonation.

Overall, a very tasty beer. It's a little hard to find here, although I might seek it out one of these days.

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

A random can from the LCBO...

A - Pours a pale golden colour, finger of head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Mild with grassy notes, light caramel, bread and a hint of metallic on the finish.

T - Much like the nose, light grassy notes, bready caramel, hint of sour metallic citrus on the finish and a honey sweetness lingers.

M - Medium, smooth and wet.

O - Easy drinking, but nothing spectacular, though I wasn't expecting to be blown away. Typical euro pale lager and nothing more, it's pretty unlikely I'd ever pick up another can of this.

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

16 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Golden and clear in color, active bubbles of carbonation rising, very little bit of white head that disappeared right away

S- A little bit of malty sweetness and bread aromas. Really not a lot going on here.

T- Pretty simple in flavor. Malts, bread, and a hint of alcohol.

M- Light body that is smooth and easy to drink.

A- To me this is the epitome of many european lagers- smooth and easy to drink with a decent ABV, but really nothing spectacular. It lacks any real aromas or complex flavors. It isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Another 500 ml can bought in the polish shop in Arnhem. This one also poured into my Guinness pint glass. ABV 6%.
Nice deep yellow golden colour, with two fingers of white, soapy head. Average retention, no activity in the glass.
Aroma is very faint and it consists mostly of malts and hay.
Lots of malts on the taste, stale bread, you could say sweet. Aftertaste is slighty metallic, nothing too offensive but it's there.
Average carboanation, medium thin on the body.
Maybe the score given doesn't do it justice, since overall it offers a good drinking experience, nothing too vile, nothing too fancy, and for being a cheap euro lager, it does its job well.

3.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I lived in Poland for about 8 months, in a small, provincial town that resembled something out of a Disney movie as a kid, or an English period piece with Daniel Craig. While there, I found that the only beer available was lager and lager, and occasionally, dark lager. I liked the beer prices in Poland and liked how I could pick up a few brews from the supermarket (being from Canada, we can only buy liquor in liquor stores). This one was something I picked up as an alternative to the Zywiec I normally drank, and I was glad I did. It poured a decent light yellow and it smelled really quite sweet, but not off-putting. I drank it from the pint glass I had in my concrete, Communist flat and I enjoyed its sweet nectar as it flowed nicely. I had another just to make sure, but this is one I would probably pick up from my local liquor store just for the nostalgia. It won't change anyone's life, but it will make you happy you tried something different.

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Not sure we need another Polish Lager in BC ( we have 5 already) but this is a decent take on the style that has a full mouthfeel and tasted pretty fresh probably due to the can. I used it to make beer brats for a New Years Day lunch party and I tasted pretty good out of the can as I cooked those sausages.

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Best before 10/4/12.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is very mild and is of malt and grain aromas. Taste is much the same with a slight grassy and hay flavor on the finish. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer that is drinkable but nothing too special.

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - Clear golden yellow (like apple juice) with almost a finger width of white bubbly head. Bubbles are present.

Smell - Sweet apples and bready grains.

Taste - The flavour of the apples comes through. No hops detectable whatsoever. Slightly bready flavour.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation to go around.

Overall - An easy drinking, refreshing lager from Zywiec. Not much to this one, but quite enjoyable.

Tatra from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)