Brewjolais | Mac's Brewery

BrewjolaisBrewjolais

Mac's Brewery
New Zealand (Aotearoa)
macs.co.nz

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by lamarr04 on 05-15-2009

4.02/5  rDev 0%

It's hard for me not to wax nostalgic about this beer. It was one of my "a-ha" beers that first showed me what beer could be. That said, I have a clear and unabashed bias towards Brewjolais. Furthermore, I drank it years ago when my palate was not as accustomed to flavorful beer.

A: Amber with a light head that dissipated quickly. Moderate lacing down the glass.

S: Beautiful grapefruit and citrus, simply delicious fresh-hop character.

T: Same as the smell, hoppy, citrus, grapefruit, lightly malty and delicious.

M: Couldn't tell ya.

O: This beer changes from year to year, as they use the first harvest of the hops to brew it. When I had it, in 2008, it was simply outstanding.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Mac's Northern Steamship Brewbar

A: Hazy golden color with one inch white unstable looking head

S: Smells pretty strongly of hops, mix between west coast frutiness and two hearted spicy/floral hop aroma. Apparently hopped with first harvest cascades. Left dainty lacing down the glass.

T: Very bitter and unbalanced at first but the malt came out a bit as the beer warmed. Flavor was a bit thin

M: Medium body with medium carbonation and a lingering finish.

D: Not a bad go at the american pale ale style, not as balanced and therefore drinkable as some of my favorites, but wasn't hard to finish.

Brewjolais from Mac's Brewery