Monteith's Radler | Monteith's Brewing Co.

Monteith's RadlerMonteith's Radler

Monteith's Brewing Co.
New Zealand (Aotearoa)
monteiths.co.nz

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by jahsausage on 08-14-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.46/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From Bottle. Pours a golden color with a longlasting white head. Aroma citrus, lemon, lime. Taste is lemon, lime with a little hint of malt. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

2.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle with a simple but stylish label.

Appearance: a crisp, clean yellow colour with spritzy carbonation. A small frothing head dissipates quickly. Looks like a decent cider.

Aroma: quite a bit of citrus on the nose - lemon and lime predominantly. Not all that much more, but it smells plenty refreshing.

Taste: a very refreshing lemon-and-lime with some very light malts behind. This would only suit a hot day, particularly after some yard work or whatever.

Aftertaste: the taste drops away pretty quickly, a slight astringency lingers.

Mouth feel: lighter in body with aa high carbonation. Very refreshing.

Overall: a nice, refreshing beer after a jog or on a very hot day. Not terribly sessional though - one or two in a session max. The price is reasonable though, at AU$55 a case (2014).

3.24/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the brewery in Greymouth, NZ in Dec. 2013.

A very citrusy radler with lively carbonation and lime in addtion to the usual lemon. Crisp and refreshing but so much citrus the lager base is masked. More like a "wine cooler" than a beer.

Overall: a refreshing and thirst quenching beverage with little resemblance to a lager beer.

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Crisp golden yellow colour when poured very limited head that quickly fades.

S - Instant lime zest aromas covers all else

T - Citrus fruits with a hint of malt and ginger.

Great ber on a hot summers day when you want something simple and refreshing.

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

1.68/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I visited the Monteith's brewery while visiting Greymouth, NZ, overall fun tour and they let us pour what ever we wanted for 40 minutes, after giving us a taste of their whole range.

I don't generally like this style, but this one honestly tasted like gatorade from the powder, and the I would drink this after a race or heavy excersice but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The lemon lime seemed artificial, which didn't sit well with me.

1.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Had this at a pub in New Plymouth. One of the guys I was with suggested we go down the tap line and sample all they had... we did. I kept having a nagging feeling I knew what a Radler was. After we got this round, it all came back to me. My wife's friend was drinking Radlers in Germany when we visited in 2006. I remembered that I did not like them.
The beer was a bright and clear golden amber with a rapid fading white head. In fact, if I wouldn't have watched the beer being poured, I'd have never seen the head.
The aroma was more like Ginger Ale as one of my buddies put it. Bright lemon, no beer.
The flavor follows the nose.
The body was thin and bubbly. I could see this as a gateway or a summer quencher, just not for me...
This "beer" made it to my no repeat list. Not my cup of tea.

2.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a lifeless Golden colour with a hint of Amber. What head there is, dies.

S - Aromas of zesty lemon and lime.

T - Lemon and ginger dominate and a syrupy sweetness.

M - Light body and full carbonation that is refreshing.

D - If you have been doing something in the garden on a hot summers day, this will fit the bill. Otherwise offers little.

2.11/5  rDev -13.2%

Chilled 330 ml bottle poured into a stemmed pilsner glass.

Pours a bright amber, almost too bright actually, grows a fluffy white head that beads away rather rapidly.

The aroma on this thing is like a jolly rancher candy in lemon format. The label boasts of lemon and the nose confirms. The only issue here is that it doesn't smell like any lemon i've had but it does smell like sprite.

At first the taste was a little confusing, I had the lemon bit down but I was also getting some ginger. My conclusion was that it must be due to the use of artificial sweeteners etc. What I didn't get a lot of was hops or malt.

Mouthfeel was refreshing but in a soft drink kind of way.

Its kind of pointless to continue with a review on this. This is really suited to kids or maybe backyard bbq's, not the kind of folk that would visit a site like this to read bout beer.

One last thing - don't let this beer spoil Montleith for you. This is a good brewery with many good offerings available.

1.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle says : An easy drinking beer with light hoppy notes and a hint of natural lemon juice. Poured a light clear yellow. It smelled like Sprite soda, artificial lemon and light faint hops. It tasted like Sprite soda with the tiniest touch of hops. It was nasty. The last thing I ever want a beer to taste like is soda. It reminded me of a Zima or something to that effect.

1.68/5  rDev -30.9%

Golden pour with a short-lived small pond scum-like head.
Aroma is completely artificial, with lime dish washing liquid, yellow jellybeans and lemon sherbet. Some sickening rancid smell underneath, can't quite pinpoint it though. No malt or hops at all.
Flavours are exactly the same, imagine corona with lemon and lime lollys added. Way to sweet and cloying.
Incredibly watery. Pretty high carbonation.

2.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a golden colour, with medium white head that sinks steadily, and quite dense. Bead is strong, moderate speed and kind of cool. Lace is minimal, quite thin but seems sticky. Fairly good for what it be.

Nose is tangy, with an artificial citrus character, fairly lemon-sherbet-esque, with none of the bitter rind kind of aroma you get from citric hops, just very sweet with a slight bit of zest. Delivers what it promises, I guess, but I feel the 'lemon and/or lime' character can be better delivered and smell less like corn syrup.

Taste is quite zesty and sweet again. Flavours of lemon and lime as you imagine them in candy form. Does take a slightly sour turn towards the mid - more like actual citrus flavour, but this is sadly overtaken by a bit of a yeasty character, slightly doughy and a bit stale. Finish is very dry, with a slight vinous character like a rosé or similarly sugar-coated faux-wine travesty.

Feel does have a nice sharp tingle from the bubbles, makes it refreshing but also adds to the soft drink effect of this.

As it goes, it's probably one of the better Radler beers, but that's like saying you're one of the gentler Nazis. Would I be so proud and protective of this brew that I'd try and trademark the word "Radler"? Of course not. I mean, seriously, get over yourselves, DB.

2.57/5  rDev +5.8%

A kiwi drink for summer --> Like RTDs, Corona/Lime, a summer shanty. I was offered it as a "reward" for cleaning out the flat's fridge.

Appearance- A light golden "lagerish" color, Limited head with vanished like the moa.

Smell- A very sugarly floral scent arrises from the glass. A lot of citrus - both lemon/lime and lemongrass. Quite Pleasant

Taste and Mouthfeel- Very similar to the smell, however there was some malt flavors after the citrus fads. The drink is flat and a bit like the last bit of Sprite out of a 2L.

Drinkability- If RTD and fruity drinks are you thing then have at it.

1.98/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured a finger of bubbly white head that quickly reduced to a thin patchy layer. Colour is a clear peachy amber-gold.

Smell - 2.0
Pwoah! The smell is quite overpowering, extremely sweet, slight citrus, more soft drink-like than anything.

Taste - 2.0
Sweet shandy with a squeeze of lemon and an extra teaspoon of sugar. The flavour is not bad, but it is far sweeter than I see as necessary. Tangy and somewhat refreshing.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
The sugary sweetness gives a slightly sticky, syrupy feel that is not suitable for a supposedly refreshing lager. Carbonation is good though, fine and persistent.

Drinkability - 1.5
I would choose this over a soft drink, but it is far too sweet to be sessionable for me.

OVERALL - 2.1
Obviously I am not a Radler fan, but as a beer to appeal to non-beer drinkers, I think this has a place in the market. I wouldn't buy it again, but apart from the sickly sweetness there isn't a lot wrong here.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Monteith's Radler from Monteith's Brewing Co.