Holsten Maibock | Hanseatische Getränke-Industrie (HGI) Holsten-Brauerei AG

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by canadianbarman on 11-30-2002

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

Short-lived, diminutive head that settles to rim bubbles. Absolutely no lace whatsoever. The color is dirty gold. Clear.

Smells earthy and sour. No deep malt aromas that I have come to expect from this style of beer.

Starts off neutral, mostly pale malt. There's a creaminess to the flavor. The swallow sours a bit and the aftertaste is brief. I note a brief spice of hop just after the swallow. The body is proper; the carbonation tilts toward the higher side.

1.75/5  rDev -38.6%

3.08/5  rDev +8.1%

Now, I have had this on many occasions but every time I have consumed this right out of the can and usually on the subway on the way somewhere. I bought this with the same intentions but the subway was full so instead I will review this.

Pale blonde/orange colour, one finger of white head with some retention and no lace to speak of. Smell is malty and bready, sweet candy like notes, some fruits come across as well, light hint of corn and some alcohol. Taste is malty and fairly sweet, some green apple flavours as well, light alcohol heat, some grassy notes come off as well, lightly bitter, malty-sweet finish. Light carb, med-full body, decent weight. This is a fairly average beer and in all respects isn't very good however, there is something I really enjoy about this beer and I will still buy this as my staple "one for the road" beer.

2.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Darker than normal straw yellow pour. Zero head just little wisps. Lacing is zilch.

S- Corn, grass and cereal. There is a strange medicinal aroma along with this I can't put my finger on.

T- I get a slight alcohol taste up front with corn, sugar and grains.

M- Light bodied, minimal carbonation.

O- I'm not appalled by this beer, it is just a hefty adjunct lager in my opinion and not worthy of my glass lol...

2.59/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Golden honey colored body - I aggressively poured a one finger white head that was gone by the time i turned around from disposing of the can. No lacing and pretty clear.

S - cereal and corn bursting out, not great but not bad and about what I expected - some floral hops as well.

T - well here we go....syrupy corn, earthy hops coming through, sweet (too) malt, and some spicy pear (or what I imagine a spicy pear would taste like) - I am not pouring down the sink it has been a long week and I need a warm up - ideal brew for a hot late may day in a park out of a bag.

M - A very robust body it is sweet and syrupy with some lingering bitterness, from the pour I assumed it would be heavily carbonated (a real pop from the can) however the carbonation is really non-existent.

O - I will check this off on my bucket list - no need to "experience" this one again.

out of the 500,ml can.

clear golden color, inch of white head

medium carbonation

smell alcool and cereal

the taste is a bit medium. alcool note, cereals,
not so well defined.

mouthfeel is playing with a medium carb and medium body, with a large part of alcool

overall, its not a beer i will remember that much. but for now, it works before lunch time.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

500ml Can

Appearance – Clear darker yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a fair amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, corn, malts, hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste malts and very very light hops mixed with corn. There is also a hint of a caramel sweetness. It finishes with a malty cooked corn aftertaste.

Overall – The taste seemed little bit harsh at times, but for the most part it's a fairly enjoyable above average beer. Not something I'd ever buy again but it wasn't a waste of money.

2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had the regular Holsten, and I wasn't too impressed. I'm hoping this Maibock is more than just an extra strong lager.

It has a deeper golden colour than a typical lager, with thin bubble head that is quickly dissipating. There is a lot of carbonation rising up to the top.

The aroma is sweet and malty. There is also a faint alcohol smell.

The flavour is has a richer maltiness than a regular lager. It has a slightly biscuity character. The alcohol is quite noticeable throughout, and though not offensive, not always the best. The body is kind of light, which lends to a watery taste after a while. After a few gulps, the alcohol is almost all there is to the flavour.

Overall, this definitely tastes like a maibock and not just a strong lager, but it isn't the best representation of the style.

Holsten Maibock from Hanseatische Getränke-Industrie (HGI) Holsten-Brauerei AG