Alvinne Extra Restyled | Picobrouwerij Alvinne

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by RblWthACoz on 04-25-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.91/5  rDev +4.8%

From a stubby little Belgian-style bottle, this beer has an enormous white head. Long lasting and solid, the foam is amazingly dense. The aroma is earthy, with an aged, herbal hop scent and a bit of malt and alcohol in the background. Rustic and yeasty. The beer is highly carbonated, which is one of its dominant characteristics. The appearance of the liquid itself is a light golden-straw color with a considerable cloudy haze. The taste is notably sweet, with a pale malt flavor. Its also a very hop centric beer...herbal and bitter. The hop character kicks in from the first sip, at the foretaste, and the bitterness is firm and long-lasting. The hops lend a wonderful impression of astringent dryness to this brew. Quite a nice beer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

On-Tap at Memphis Taproom in a tulip glass.

A- Alvinne Extra looks very bright yellow golden with a nice sturdy head that became a cap leaving minor stickage. Alot of citrus in the nose with pineapple, mango, orange, a lot of Belgian bready yeast, lemon comes to mind. Kinda comes off like a BSPA mixed with Belgian IPA citrus. Alot of variance between the yeast notes and the citrus used coming, a nice mix. A little bit of soap towards the end. Overall a very clean beer going down, not overly bitter, nicely fruited, this one is alive, spritzy. I would drink a crapton of this stuff. Glad to try more products from Alvinne, they do good work!!

2.45/5  rDev -34.3%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL.

Aroma:It smells a little wild, lots of spice in the aroma.

Appearance:Pale gold.

Taste:The piney hops stand out sharply. It's got some farmhouse flavors. The beer is rather dry.

Mouthfeel:Light, with a fair amount of astringency.

Drinkability:This beer was a bit of a challenge to get through, dry, and farmhousey.

3.61/5  rDev -3.2%

Spicey, earthy aromas are upfront. There was something in the aroma that led me to think that there would be some tartness/sourness. Some lemony hops are there too.

It pours a golden/orange colour with a huge off-white head on it. Great lacing.Head retention OK.

Complex. Much more Belgian yeast character that I have found lacking in some other Belgian IPA's. Good bitterness, but nothing over the top here. Very earthy and minerally (I don't use "minerally" often as a descripter in beer, but it really does seem minerally to me). It has a long dry finish, with a touch of tartness.

It is highly carbonated, and medium bodied.

Drinkability is good considering that is 7%ABV. It hides the alcohol well.

2.62/5  rDev -29.8%

DO NOT OPEN UNLESS OUTSIDE OR NEAR A DRAIN! MAJOR GUSHER! Now that I finally have some in my glass, the head is cream colored with globs of brown trub floating on top and no lace. Color is a cloudy amber with lots of sediment in suspension or at the bottom of the glass. Aroma is very yeasty, malt, champagne. Flavor is like aroma with only a hint of sweetness. Yeast really dominates. Finish is the same way. Body is good and carbonation is too.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Pours a five+ finger off-white head that fades quickly to a thin layer, leaving traces of lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Spicy nose. Flavor is spicy, some caramel, some grapefruit. Lingering sour finish. $5.95 for a 330ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This is a gusher. Once the glass finally settled down to a very creamy beige head with a dark tangerine hazy body there were spots of yeast lumps in the beer and on the head.
S- The rich honey malt aroma gave way to a peanut brittle note in the finish.
T- The full honey malt flavor was sweet with a pungent green hop with a grapefruit note in the finish.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a silky texture and no alcohol heat noted.
D- The nice full but light kilned malt was a bit strong for the soft hop bit in the finish, but as the head died down the bitterness started to balance the sweetness more.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap at Max's today. Am assuming this is what I'm drinking (with so many IPA's and Extra's from Alvinne, it's not so easy to tell)

The beer pours a slightly hazy, solid gold color with good head retention and lacing. This beer is all Belgian IPA, with pepper, dry citrus, orange honey considerable underlying spice. On the palate, you know you are drinking a serious Belgian IPA. Considering the abv. is "only" 7%, I'm amazed by the amount of flavor in this beer. The beer is very dry, although intially one gets some honey sweetness.... but then the spice and considerable hoppy bitterness kick in, and the moderate sweetness is but an afterthought. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, though the amount of flavor the brewer has managed to cram into this 7% is pretty amazing. Drinkability is good, though the bitterness and complex flavor profile make this beer very much a sipper. Regardless, this is a very impressive, well made Belgian IPA from Alvinne.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a creamy white head, good retention.

S: Heavy pear esters, yeast notes, light hops.

T: Bitter, peppery yeast flavours with pear and pineapple. Requisite bitter hoppy character comes in on the back end, very earthy with some grapefruit.

M: Creamy, soft carbonation, somewhat fizzy.

D: A nice beer. Nowhere near an IPA, even in the Belgian style that I was expecting, but it still tastes good and it's enjoyable, has a lot of nice Belgian characteristics, very good beer as a stand alone - not taking style into consideration.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of light fruits - pears and green apples - with light malt and grassy aromas lingering in the background.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light pilsner malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by good amounts of light fruits - pears and green apples as with the aroma. Midway through the sip mild amounts of leafy hops enter into things and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this version of a Belgian IPA - the Belgian flavors weren't crisp enough and the IPA flavors weren't robust enough. This isn't one to necessarily avoid however I'd recommend Gaspar over this one.

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%

11.2 oz bottle poured in Dogfish Head signature glass (March 23, 2010). No bottled on date that I can find. "2007 Alvinne Extra India Pale Ale Restyled" is on the label, but I doubt 2007 has anything to do with the bottling date.

Good thing I read a few reviews that mentioned gushing before opening. Fortunately I was prepared and almost two ounces was foamed into my glass over the sink

Eyes: The pours was a slow one, as a thick soapy foam kept erupting with every pour, even after all the gushing. Liquid is a murky dark amber, with large craggy head. The foam bubbles are surprisingly large, and retain and lace strongly.

Nose: A sweetish, earthy, citrus/honey profile here. There are some Belgian style hops, but not to powerful. I'm a bit underwhelmed here.

Tongue: Surprisingly sour. Not that it's overly sour, but I was just surprised at the sourness in an IPA, but I guess that's why the label says "restyled." Some sour bread, and a bit yeasty.

Mouth: Medium body, decent carbonation, even after the initial gushing.

Libation: It goes down easy, and is quite tasty, but this not close to an IPA style, and that includes Belgian IPAs. It also doesn't seem to have any of that Belgian earthy funk to it that is so common in many Belgian IPAs. People looking for a hop hit will not get one here. There are hops, but not enough to make me want to try it again, especially when I'm looking for a Belgian IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 11.2 oz brown bottle into a Duvel glass. This one exploded with foam when the cap was released. The huge head eventually faded to a puffy cap. Only mild lacing remained. Turbid butterscotch/yellow body.

Smell was earthy and citrusy. Dry dirt floor. Black pepper.

Taste was nice bright hops. Yeasty. Sharp bite of flavorful hops along with sweet fruity malts. Peppery. Very well put together.

Mouthfeel was highly carbonated. Medium to full body with a alcohol bit that was absent from the smell and taste. I would certainly seek this one out again, just be extra careful opening!

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%

I drank this from an 11oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

This boy is a gusher. As I pop the cap and walk away, I came back its fizzing all around. It pours with lots of carbonation too. It is medium orange with an off white 3 finger head. There is lots retention and great lacing. It might be best lacing I've vere seen. It coats the whole glass and doesn't go anywhere.

The aroma is strong with lots of beglian hops dominating. There is also a little pine, not much sweetness, maybe some lemon.

The taste is off from the aroma, I was expecting tons of hops, but they are very muted. There is a light hops taste, but mostly sour fruit.

The feel is decent, nice lasting flavor.

Drinkability is ok, its good, but for some reason I wouldn't go for another.

Overall, this is ok nothing special. The taste is to mild for its aroma, but a typical belgian ipa.

Poured into a Chimay goblet from a stubby 11.2 oz. bottle.

A - When I popped the top I saw the rush of bubbles coming so I quickly started to pour. I was able to save all of the beer. Poured a strong and hazy light brown color with some sediments floating around. There is a medium dense off-white head with medium sized bubbles that stick around forever. Carbonation for these beers are crazy both this and Gaspar overflowed when opened. Must be some yeast in steroids.

S - Nice hop notes up front followed by some midl grainy character form the malt. Bready hints of sourdough bread and some biscuit. Mild spices and yeasty hints.

T - Sour up front with a nice hop bite that leads into a bready and yeasty like flavor. Reminding me of a much hopier Quad. The yeast definitely gives this beer another flavor dimension. Hints of pears and apricots. Very interesting Belgian IPA but definitely had better.

M - Medium boide with nice NICE CO2.

D - High and very delicious but not my fave.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

A: Shit, I wish I had read the reviews before popping this one. It's a gusher for sure, beer all over the dining room table and the wife half-jokingly calling me a dipshit for not knowing how to pour a beer. Oh well. Huge four fingers of light tan, very rocky, very sticky head. Actually so much head I could fit the whole bottle into my .5L glass. Beer itself is a very cloudy light amber (almost pastel) in color.

S: Loads of lemony citrus. Some perfumed floral notes and the distinct aroma of CO2.

T: Mildly sour. Green apples, pears, lemony citrus. Very light malt profile

M: Light in body with medium carbonation. There is a lightly sour or acidic quality that results in a slight tingly sensation on the tongue. Refreshingly different.

D: IPA? I'm not so sure, but once you get your head around this one not tasting anything like an American IPA, this beer can be better appreciated. It is light, refreshing, definitely Belgian, very good and quite unique. I imagine the lemony acidic notes would lend to this being a good summer beer

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Well I haven't reviewed a beer in a while now and this seems like a fine time to start up again.

I've got a stout little 11.2 oz bottle picked up at Bierkraft in Brooklyn. My buddy and I drank one of these the other night after a few other goodies, I enjoyed it thoroughly albeit a bit drunkenly, tonight I'll take a little more time with it. This bottle lacks a freshness date but is marked as being 2007 vintage.

Poured fairly aggressively into a tulip, the beer has a nice finger head but no gush like my friend and I had the other night, or like I've read in some other reviews. A beautiful hazy orange beer, frothy head looks quite appetizing.

Aroma is hops and yeast. Certainly some clove and malt in there, smells nice but is not an iconic grapefruity IPA by American standards. Not that I expected it to be. Aroma reminds me of perhaps 50% belgian pale ale, 50% American IPA. Apricot is the most apparent fruit note.

Taste is an almost salty spice on the front, followed by a moderately sweet, citrusy finish. Somewhat apple-cidery. Bitterness is extremely subdued and barely lingers on the palate, finishes watery-clean with a hint of a bitter tingle and a strange element of sour hidden in the mix. I suspect these hops are significantly mellowed as the beer is 2 years old.

Mouthfeel is moderately syrupy, and unexpected low on the carbonation. Somewhat cleansing of the palate, would be almost effervescent if it was more strongly carbonated.

Drinkability... hmmm. I hesitate to place it too high, as I find this beer a little strange. Not off-putting or unpleasant, but if it was between another one and something else, I'd probably go with something else.

Overall, I think this is a bit of a miss for me. I really enjoyed it last time, but perhaps that was a combination of novelty and pre-drinking that left me a little less perceptive. I have been enjoying belgian IPA's recently and this one is not quite up to par with some of the other standbys, piraat for instance. Hops here are a little "tinny", I'm sure this is at least partially (mostly?) due to the age of the brew, but taken as a whole it's a bit too clean and one-dimensional for my liking.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Yep, folks, heed the warnings below: this is a gusher!!! Glad I read a few of the reviews before opening or I'd be pissed right now. So, obviously judging the looks on a normal pour ain't gonna happen, but...hey, this head is freaking enormous!! Color is a hazed peachy thing. Scrumptious looking, especially with all that lace sticking to the glass like an explosion of styrofoam.

Once everything died down to a normal roar in the glass, I finally got my nose around it. All kinds of citrus elements, from pineapple to grapefruit, some pear, some banana, some mandarin orange...hops are clearly fruity but also not overwhelming. A bit of mineral/earth nudges in to offer a little depth.

Yeast and hops are the features here, not a combination you find dominating most Belgian beers (yeast, yes...hops, no). There's a super-fruity element here, like Carmen Miranda's hat boiled, fermented and poured into a glass; not overly sweet, nor cloying in terms of bitterness. This one is big on earthiness, just like the nose, with a grapefruit essence coming through in the finish. So, it's hoppy, but certainly on the fruity side and not all that bitter. And maybe it's the yeast bringing some of the fruitiness as well. Malt is merely a subtle base, and the alcohol is just barely felt, a mere supporting character.

Feels good too. Just enough carbonation to offer liveliness, this is round enough and quite soft. Creamy, cool, slick...and man, that grapefruit just keeps coming in the long finish.

I'm glad I looked at reviews beforehand so that I was ready for the gush...but why all the mediocre ratings? I know everyone's palate is different, but this is a wonderful, wonderful beer. Perhaps the initials "IPA" put a certain expectation in everyone's head, including mine. Ignore that, judge this beer for what it is and you'll find that IPA = Intensely, Paralyzingly Appetizing (okay, that's stupid, but this beer really is pretty great).

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

If you are seeking out an IPA with the least bit of hop, you are going to be disappointed in this beer. This tastes a whole lot like a Belgian blonde. The beer pours a very cloudy, dirty water orange color, with loads of yeasty bits floating about. The bottle had a ton of residuals on the bottom that didn't make it into my glass. The beer has a nice white head, retention, and some lacing. The nose is oh so typical Belgian yeasted up candied sugars, biting pear aromas, a touch of vinegar, and Brett style yeast.

The taste is just odd. The particular flavors that predominate are honey, vanilla, and to a lesser extent some tart pears, maybe some orange rind and coriander. The yeast is over the top and it has its own efforvesence that makes this a sipping type beer. The beer is prickly in the mouth with a slight sourish hop bite in the finish. This is not my favorite Belgian blonde and forget about classifying this as an IPA, because it just isn't. The beer is a little too sweet, too cloying, too odd, and the prickly yeasted up efforvesence isn't doing much for me. I'll pass.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy medium dark honey color with a firm thick white head.

Nose of honey, ripe peaches with green bananas, "Belgian fruit nose." Some yeasty/white bread in the nose.

Mouthfeel is medium creamy and mouthfilling.

Flavors are of underlying fruit, with a yeasty roundness, but with a celery/green pepper character; hints of white pepper in the back palate and a light honey green pepper finish. Not as bad as it may sound.

Likely good with food because of the vegetal character although perhaps thin on acid.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Murky amber hue...I'm reviewing from the bottom of the keg, not the top... believe me, it just killed. lush, creamy head, much lace-leaving. gorgeous, really.

Airy and uplifting, like the best Belgians, citric zest and spice, nothing specific, but rather ephemeral, overall...vanilla and lemon, meet coriander and orange peel.

Drinking: Smooth, zesty, citric, slightly spicy, but mellow and drinkably, aplumb with Belgian yeast feel ...damnably delicious. Yum meets yum. Easy to drink, easy to love. Medium mouthfeel, medium body, but so fresh, alive, and delicious.
Great Belgian ale.

330ml bottle, "2007 alvinne extra india pale ale restyled". no other dates found. poured into tulip. tasted in mid/late april 2009.

big gusher, causing me to lose quite a bit.

the gushing also brings up all the bottle sediment, so it's pretty murky. as such, it's a golden straw color with orange-brown tones. big gushy head recedes to an iceberg meringue, then just a puffy thin layer. good lacing.

bready toasted malt aroma enveloped in spicy, herbal hops, with touch of citrus peel freshness. moves into ripe pears, apple and white grape, with mild phenols and more herbs in back. yeasty tones, but probably accentuated by all the gushed sediment. needs slightly more hops, slightly less fruit.

taste: sweet, toasted bready malts, with fruit notes, meeting a bold euro hop flavor, yet with only moderate bitterness. there is also an unexpected, but not entirely unpleasant, tart acidity throughout. some light phenols and spice in the finish too. plus more yeastiness, but again probably heightened by all that dispersed sediment.

medium body, perhaps fuller with all the yeast, but a bit astringent and acidic, clashing with the otherwise moderate and lightly prickly, sometimes creamy carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into my trusty Duval tulip.

Thick long lasting white foamy head. Bright yellow/orange in color. Quite cloudy with yeast and hops.

Great fresh floral hop smell. Not you typical American IPA smells. Very mellow. Grapefruit orange peels and lemons were present with each sip. Quite a spicy/peppery finish also. A bit of a biscut-like finish due to the Belgian yeasts. Quite drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden very well.

Overall a great example of a Belgian IPA. I have been drinking a lot of west coast IPA's lately and this was a delicious change of pace. Very well balanced with the eurpoean hop varieties. Great stuff.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked a bottle of this up at the newly-established Hop City in Atlanta. 11.2 ounce Belgian-style beer bottle. Vintage 2007. Before I start: HAVE A GLASS READY!! This one is a gusher. Lost about 20% - 30% in the sink because I wasn't ready for this one. Pours a hazy amber color. Takes a few minutes for the head to settle down. Lots of lacing on the glass. Good amount of sediment in the glass. Smell is hoppy, slightl alcoholic, peppery. Slightly bready, citric taste. The Belgian yeast is prevalent and has mixes relatively well with the hops. Pretty bitter aftertaste. The beer loses alot of its carbonation early and starts with a an effervescent mouthfeel, which becomes somewhat flat toward to the end of the beer. Good drinkability for the style. A decent Belgian IPA but there are better ones out there.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz squatty brown glass bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: It's a gusher! Have the glass ready! Golden with notes of light brown. Thick white head with lots of retention! Fair amount of particles.

Nose: Smells like the other Alvinne's I've had. A little sweet malt, a little Euro-hops, a little yeast-spice.

Palate: Sharp edges, almost with a sour/bitter edge all the way around the mouth. Fairly clean and light on the flavors. The bitterness rules this beer. Some light fruit estery-flavors, a little herbal note, and a light asian citrus note. Finish is centered around the bitterness.

Notes: Not a great beer, I don't think. I like the Gaspar a little better. This seems to lack some of the malt complexities that Gaspar adds to the flavors.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Pours a clear, golden color with some suspended yeast. One inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of slight fruit, sweet malt, slight raisin, and some tart malt. Fits the style of a Belgian IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with average carbonation. Tastes of sweet malt, slight tart malt and associated dryness, and sweet hops. Smooth finish and easy drinking overall.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast