Cuvee De Mortagne | Picobrouwerij Alvinne

Cuvee De MortagneCuvee De Mortagne

Picobrouwerij Alvinne
alvinne.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Land van Mortagne, aged on oak Pomerol wine barrels.

Added by MasterSki on 08-07-2012

4.1

4.76/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Intense oak and red wine, tart, astringent, slightly sweet with mild cloying character

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy, leather brown in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is strawberry, caramel, raisin, and black cherry. Heavy bodied, boozy, low carbonation, sweet and dry. Very tasty, complex quad. Love the big strawberry taste..Totally unexpected but amazing. This one hits hard, but I will get this again..Alvinne makes some of my favorite Belgian beers.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle of this about 10 months ago when I was passing through Cincinnati and I stopped off at The Party Source in Newport, KY right across the river. I had been aging it in my cellar until earlier tonight. Poured out of a 16.9 oz bottle into my goblet glass, this beer pours a dark amber/copper color with a slightly off-white/tan head that's about 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured that settles to a rather large cluster swirl of foam on the beer's surface along with a pretty thick ring lining the inside of the glass and decent lacing. Aromas of sweet caramel malt along with an oaky vanilla presence followed by a definite bit of grapes. Has a sweet caramel and vanilla malt presence upfront that gives way to some plum, raisin and grape flavors with just a hint of red wine vinegaryness and oak barrel goodness. Some aspects of the overall flavor profile are very unique for a beer of this style I feel and quite tasty too of course! Has a crisp, just slightly syrupy, slightly chewy, smooth, sticky, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink, especially as this beer sits and warms up, and the 14% ABV is well masked. It certainly snuck up on me here and kicked my ass a little bit. An excellent beer. I am sorry to hear this beer is apparently no longer being brewed, and that is something that I hope is reversed.

Eric

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 500ml bottle into St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Dark caramel color, hazy, ivory head disappears quickly.

S - Toffee followed by raisins and spice (nutmeg and cinnamon).

T - Fig, toffee, raisins, bready yeast on the front. Wine and wood with a slight alcohol bite on the finish.

M - Syrupy, heavy, alcohol warmth. Definitely a sipper.

If there were such a thing as a quint this would be it. A bit bolder than your standard quad. A good beer for those that love Belgians, which I do.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark red, approaching black, with two fingers of lasting head. Strong, sweet and smooth aroma reminiscent of plum, cherry, oak, muted Christmas spices and a hint of vanilla -- all blended together and hard to pick out. This continues to the taste, which is less sweet, with a clearer red-wine character and touch of booziness (but nothing that would suggest its 14%). It's incredibly smooth with the red wine and spice lingering in the aftertaste for a very long time after each sip. The beer is light-to-medium bodied, with strong carbonation, but smooth, slightly creamy mouthfeel. This is exceptional. One of the best things I've ever tasted.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This Quad reminds me that something sometimes gets lost in craft brewing.
We tend to think of the brewers-for-the-masses as the enemy of what tastes good.
Yet we rarely get introspective and wonder that, maybe, America's 3,000 craft brewers are thinking more about staying alive and finding some Venture Capital guys than they are about making a truly passionate ale.
So, by complete serendipity, I find this guy who has many archived beers as active ones on BA.
And he has produced a very,very great quad.
And he makes it no longer.
Not only does my heart sink, but the potential for all of humanity is diminished.

I rarely experience a head like this. It took at least a minute before foam no longer came out the bottle.
I rarely experience an aroma like this.
And I never have experienced a taste like this. So complex. Sweet, but an occasional sour making things perfect.
I want more !!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aged on oak Pomerol wine barrels
Poured from bottle into chalice
L: dark brown with a weak white foam head.
S: wine, pleasant sourness.
T: complex, bitter sour sweet, spices,
F: full body and soft carbonation.
O: great quad.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

16.9 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: brackish nice red hue to the edges of the glass and caramel color hazy small soapy tan head that drops to a film on the top of the beer

S: vinegar and grapes with a little bit of caramel has a little bit of a sweet smell to it almost a little bit of a brandy port smell

T: vinegar but muted lots of tannin flavors you get from wine drinks a lot like a mead I can't pick out that many barrel notes just the wine characteristics with a lot of caramel malts but muted by the vinegar so they aren't too sweet

M: Thick body its almost syrupy but not quite the alcohol is very well hidden

O: Very different I am glad I got to try it but I'm not quite sure I am thrilled by it. Huge body on the beer almost chewy the flavors seem muddled though and I can not believe this is 14% because it drinks so smooth very easy going down. Reminds me a lot of a homemade mead.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%