Class Of '88 Belgian Style Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Class Of '88 Belgian Style AleClass Of '88 Belgian Style Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Michigan Riesling and Oregon Pinot Noir grapes age with whole flower Mt. Hood hops and pilsner malt in Muscat casks. The fruit aroma unites with Belgian yeast esters and oak for a crisp, dry, and slightly tart flavor.

Added by Melman on 01-02-2014

Reviews: 26 | Ratings: 143
Reviews by Scotchboy:
3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Black-waxed bomber split into white wine glasses with the wife.

A: Gold, mostly clear, with two fingers of head that fade pretty quickly. Minimal lace.

S: White grapes and apple, a fruity nose boasting lots of sweetness. Muscat is prominent and brings suggestions of orange/orange peel. Faint oaky presence reminiscent of vanilla and brown sugar. Very vinous and white wine-like, with some booze thrown in for good measure.

T: More muscat grapes and white wine characteristics. Sweetness is cut significantly by some surprising dryness, though its not extreme. Woody wine barrel characteristics meld with some fruity tartness and Belgian yeast funk that finally makes an appearance. Light sweet alcohol, reminiscent of a dessert wine or Riesling. Moderate (sweet) malt body as well.

MF: Starts sweet but definitely turn more dry, which is a good thing. There is some malt presence, some booze as well, but not enough to cut the body down from full. Dry finish for sure.

O: I'm impressed. Sure, its not an A+ for my palate, but its pleasant and very well executed. Fruity and vinous, I see something unique here, and I like it. 6-8oz or so is perfect for me.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear, gold in color with 1/2 inch head. Taste is chardonnay, grapes, dry riesling, apricot, hay, and touch of wood. One of the most wine like beers I think I have ever had. A lot lighter bodied than I would have thought with slight bitterness. Good, but I prefer other Deschutes beer more. Glad I gota chance to have this one though

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I am drinking this beer with tostadas that are coveted in Chipotle Cholua. I would give the tostadas a 3.75, they're something I wouldn't break out on a special occasion, but for an everyday, sessionable mexican dish, they'll do. This beer has a serious wine taste. The Pinot grapes are hyper present, like the feeling of loss or an overbearing mother. My day was pretty good so I don't feel guilty drinking this. There is light foam and little carbonation on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

4.8/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer follows what I seek in beer. Flavor comes first and innovation second. When I pay $17 for a beer Its because I want something that is entirely different from what I can get for $2. This beer gave me a full complex flavor that hit every part of my palate and did not skimp on the nose either. Boo to critics, stick to your IPAs and Ris's.

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Bought mine a year or so ago and threw it in the cellar.
Poured into a Westmalle chalice.
A - Pours clear, looks like apple cider. Small head that settles immediately.
S - The aroma is not strong but is wine-like.
T - I really like the wine flavor notes that come from the barrels. The tartness is perfect for me. The 10.9 ABV is well hidden.
M - Medium mouth feel. Crisp dry finish.
O - I love Belgians, and I like the twist Deschutes has put on this beer. I would buy more if I could.

4.71/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best after 12/16/14; couldn't wait

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of pearl white head. Stays effervescent, perfect lacing & head retention

S: Pineapple, tartness, sourness. pears & jammyness, plus sourness

T: Slight sourness, pears, red grapes, a touch of Chardonay & then pineapple & pink grapefruit up front. I catch some of that Muscat sweetness as this warms, pears, dryness & pleasing tartness & leafy hops. Finishes super dry, a touch of concord grape & finally a little booze

MF: Medium body & crisp carbonation, terrific balance, warming at a point or two, never hot

I need to go buy a bottle or 2 & age this; terrific now, would love to see where this goes. So damn drinkable for the ABV. Didn't expect to love it so much & if I had known I would have bought way more!

3.75/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Class Of '88 Belgian Style Ale from Deschutes Brewery