Mirror Pond Pale Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Mirror Pond Pale AleMirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%

4.3

Ratings: 3,791 |  Reviews: 1,015
2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.39/5  rDev -38.7%

On-tap somewhere in Fashion Island at Newport Beach. First tango with Deschutes. Served in a pint glass on November 4th, 2011.

A - Deep golden/amber coloring with a light cream-colored head. Fluffy, though average, lacing and retention.

S - Eh, a bit muted. Light citrus notes and pine.

T - Better but not by much. Initial hop bite shifts into grapefruit tartness. Middle notes include slight malt presence and fruit sweetness. Bitter finish with (oddly) some alcohol warming in the back of the throat.

M - Medium body, not too smooth, quite carbonated, almost excessively so.

D - Finding more eloquent descriptions for a relatively bland pale ale is pretty difficult. A disappointment. Oh well.

2.44/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/20/11
*From notes

-- Bottle purchased on 9/20 at Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquor --

A: Decent amber in color. A generous pour yields a one finger head that fades quickly. Zero lacing.

S: Stale. Really stale. The hops here smell like they've been covered in moth balls and tossed in the attic to be forgotten. Egh.

T: Diacytal all over this thing. Buttery weirdness, weak malt and decrepit hops make for an unpleasant drinking experience.

M: Though it may not taste and smell like a winner, it sure feels like one. Nice carbonation and texture here.

O: This bottle of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale is most certainly past it's prime. At least that's what I'm telling myself, as a brewery like Deschutes wouldn't knowingly produce something this dissapointing.

Or would they?

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%

Enjoyed on-tap @ Cadillac Bar & Grill in Jackson, WY for $4.50. Tapped from the Wooden Handle w/ Deschutes down the throat of it & a "mirror pond" with mountains above it into a 16oz Pint Glass.

Aroma- Has a good amount of hop in the aroma but mostly a variety from the UK and lighter... Nothing else comes up.

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head but dies quickly. Has a copper colored body and clear. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Corn and slight malts come up in the taste too quickly... Hops were not a first impression. Where are they? Barely a light bitterness level here.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and finishes sweet but brutal.

Overall Impression- This Mirror Pond in front of me HAS to be due to an old/over due keg or line problems... I will be reviewing the bottle I picked up from Lukas Liquor soon. I surely cannot recommend this beer from what I had to sit through with this version. An English Pale Ale at best...

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%

Once again I will say, I am not a pale ale fan. I don't know what I don't like about them, but for some reason I don't like the flavors of them.

A - It is a nice amber color, has an average size head that lasts a medium amount of time. The color is very pretty

S - It has a slightly sweet smell, nothing special, but pretty good.

T - It is sort of sweet, but has a strong bite at the end. The bite is strong enough that my girlfriend told me that I was making faces. I am a bit of a wimp for alcohol flavor, and I felt like I could taste some of the alcohol.

M/D - This beer is a little bit watery. The beer made me flinch a bit, so I'd say not very good. I give all Deschutes beers some credits because the beers taste so natural and pure.

Bottom Line: I am a HUGE fan of Deschutes. I give them the benefit of the doubt whenever I am selecting beers, but this one just seems to have missed the mark. I prefer the Red Chair NWPA to Mirror Pond.

2.61/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Best by 4/18/14. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden orange with nice clarity; fluffy white head that slowly fades leaving great lacing and retention. The aromas are pretty faint. Lots of bread, malts, and grains. Lots of caramel. Not much of a fruity hop presence. The flavors aren't exactly exciting, but they're clean and refreshing. Tons of caramel. Very bready. Lots of grainy and earthy characteristics going on. The hop flavor and hop bitterness feels non-existent. Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation. It's obviously and easy drinking beer.

This isn't really an exciting pale ale. It personally reminds me more of an Irish red ale. This is ultimately boring and forgettable. This is my first experience with Deschutes so I guess this isn't the best first impression, but it's all good because there are more goodies from them for me to try out.

2.61/5  rDev -33.1%

2.62/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev -32.3%

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler. It has a hazy appearance and light amber color. The head was thin, white and did not and lace the glass much at all.

The beer smells hoppy. It is not particularly fragrant in the glass.

The taste is a little bitter, with a decided hop flavor and bitter citrus like grapefruit. The after taste lingers and is also bitter.

It has a nice mouth feel, and tasting is when you have the best opportunity to smell the beer.

I liked this beer, but I think it’s a little bitter for my taste. I wouldn’t want to drink much of it, but it’s a nice occasional change of pace.

2.71/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours a nice slightly hazy copper color with a thin white head. Little to no lacing.
The smell was grape or raisn like. Nothing to strong kinda bland and that was after about 15 tries to detect some charcter to it.
The taste as I was affraid was much like the smell. Seemed rather bland. There was a slight sweetness to it but not much else. A bit dissapointed since Im a big fan of many of their other beers.

2.74/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy copper gold with a big fluffy white head that retains well and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is sweet biscuity caramel malt with a little apple.

The flavor is sweet biscuity caramel malt with a little earthy fruit and a light bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK malty pale.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%