Mirror Pond Pale Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Mirror Pond Pale AleMirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Ratings: 3,778 |  Reviews: 1,009
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

A - One finger creamy white head, godly lacing covers the glass as the brew rapidly diminishes in volume.

S - Smells good. Some hop, some malt

T - Wow. The balance. I mean, it's perfect. There is distinct hop, malt, nuttiness with nothing too out front. It's not an ass-kicker like Stone brews but somehow the toned down simplicity of it is beautiful. Every sip is a pleasant experience. Not overly dry, not overly sweet.

M - Feels right for the flavor. I'm not the best at determining this aspect but it seems balanced like the rest of the beer. Not thick, not thin. Both slick and sticky. Carbonation is on point.

Glad I randomly bought this in a mix and match six pack at my local store. This is my new favorite chill out beer. When I don't want to assault my tastebuds I will sip on this for sure.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky orange amber hue with considerable off-white head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is classic APA, citrus, gooseberries/black currants, tangy caramel malts and a little toasted grain. Palate follows the nose, with some brown bread, gummy candy sweetness and toasted grain propping up orange marmalade, green grass, mint, and chamomile floral notes along with a little pine resin. A bit chewy but skewed towards crisp and dry. Finish is like a high-quality semisweet citrus soda, clean, crisp and smooth. A little pine and fresh earth accumulate on the palate along with another bitter flavor that I am having some trouble placing ... Its a bit seltzer-like or chalky/medicinal in character. Well-balanced between tangy rich malts and classic American west coast aroma hops. Very true to style, not tropical and dank like many American IPAs but certainly has citrus twang and ample 4-MMP character (the chemical compound that gives American hops a "black currant" character). Find this brew as fresh as possible to get more of the bright top note flavors. Great session beer and something I will bring to a gathering of the beer proletariat to introduce them to the world beyond shitty macro-lagers.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with the freshness date 2/18/14 clearly printed on the label into a pint glass and I get 2 finger of white head.

A: Pours a clear golden color with 2 fingers of head that dissipate at a moderately slow rate. There is more than just a covering on the top of my glass that last to the end. A fair amount of lacing covers most of my glass.

S: I smell pine, lemon grass, and some malts.

T: Citrus, pine resin and a hop bitterness is balanced with slightly sweet malts.

M: More than medium bodied and medium carbonated. This goes down good.

O: I think this is a very nice pale ale. I like it and would have it more often if the code dates were fresher. Sometimes I find this beer on the shelf past the freshness date. This is an extremely drinkable beer that I can enjoy without affecting me too much because of a high alcohol content. I recommend it and I am going to have another.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery