Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mirror Pond Pale Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Mirror Pond Pale AleMirror Pond Pale Ale
3.9/5
Very Good
Mirror Pond Pale AleMirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

4.3

Ratings: 3,811 |  Reviews: 1,019

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I managed to find a tap with Deschutes beer at the airport on my way out and gave their popular Mirror Pond Ale my first ever try. This was a fantastic easy-drinking pale ale. I don't gravitate to hops but this beer had the perfect blend of hops and malt. This reminds me of some good honey-blondes with a pleasant hop add-in. I really liked this one a lot and it went down rather quickly.

If this beer was a Christmas gift, it is the gift you never knew you wanted but now you can't imagine being without.

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light bronze to brown in color. I get a good inch of foam resting on top with good lacing and great clarity. I smell light malt and Pacific Northwest piney hops. The hops and malt are well balanced. I get piney hop aftertaste followed by delicate malt backbone. This is a very smooth, session beer packed with flavor.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

A - One finger creamy white head, godly lacing covers the glass as the brew rapidly diminishes in volume.

S - Smells good. Some hop, some malt

T - Wow. The balance. I mean, it's perfect. There is distinct hop, malt, nuttiness with nothing too out front. It's not an ass-kicker like Stone brews but somehow the toned down simplicity of it is beautiful. Every sip is a pleasant experience. Not overly dry, not overly sweet.

M - Feels right for the flavor. I'm not the best at determining this aspect but it seems balanced like the rest of the beer. Not thick, not thin. Both slick and sticky. Carbonation is on point.

Glad I randomly bought this in a mix and match six pack at my local store. This is my new favorite chill out beer. When I don't want to assault my tastebuds I will sip on this for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky orange amber hue with considerable off-white head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is classic APA, citrus, gooseberries/black currants, tangy caramel malts and a little toasted grain. Palate follows the nose, with some brown bread, gummy candy sweetness and toasted grain propping up orange marmalade, green grass, mint, and chamomile floral notes along with a little pine resin. A bit chewy but skewed towards crisp and dry. Finish is like a high-quality semisweet citrus soda, clean, crisp and smooth. A little pine and fresh earth accumulate on the palate along with another bitter flavor that I am having some trouble placing ... Its a bit seltzer-like or chalky/medicinal in character. Well-balanced between tangy rich malts and classic American west coast aroma hops. Very true to style, not tropical and dank like many American IPAs but certainly has citrus twang and ample 4-MMP character (the chemical compound that gives American hops a "black currant" character). Find this brew as fresh as possible to get more of the bright top note flavors. Great session beer and something I will bring to a gathering of the beer proletariat to introduce them to the world beyond shitty macro-lagers.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%