Mirror Pond Pale Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Mirror Pond Pale AleMirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Ratings: 3,777 |  Reviews: 1,008

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried this beer a few months ago from the bottle and was not impressed. Decided I should try again from tap before reviewing, so here goes:

A- Copper with nice 1-1.5 finger head. Hazy. Solid retention and lacing. Nice looking APA

S- Not much to note hear. Very subdued aroma. Some pine hop and pale malts detected, but not what you would expect from a NW brewery for this style.

T- Off flavors throughout. Bitter and astringent, but not the type of astringency that is common with many APAs and IPAs. The best way I can describe it is wet cardboard. Aftertaste lingers, and not in a good way.

M- Fair drinkability. Mid body. Maybe a little under carbonated. Having a tough time looking past the flavor though.

O- Well, can't say I didn't give it a fair chance. This one just doesn't come together for me. Bitter off notes along with a weak malt body and harsh astringency leaves me unimpressed again. Will not try for a 3rd time.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer pours a nice white head that lasted throughout the session. I really dig the golden hue on this beer. The aromoa of the beer is very earthy and floral with suggestion of citrus. However the taste is so different that it betrays the aroma. The flavor is very bland with an overpowering cascade hop flavor--however this beer is has a less sour aftertaste than most cascade hop beers.The body is fuller than I expected and made up a little for the mild flavor.

Due to the mildness I consider this is more of a ladies beer--my girlfriend really likes it. However it is not so bland that I couldn't knock down a few of these and enjoy it.

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

2.82/5  rDev -28.1%

We conducted a blind taste test between this beer and 4 other popular American Pale Ales: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Firestone Double Barrel Ale, and Boulder Hazed & Infused.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/DHis2L_OBdg

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

L: gold; slight copper with a medium head.
S: Malty, with a faint yeasty smell.
T: Good balance between malts and hops, but I am overwhelmed by a sour yeastiness. Bad tap line, or have I just lost my taste for Pale Ales? Don't think so as I have recently had others that I had no problem with.
M: Just fine - refreshing with a mild carbonation.
D: Low because of my taste, but it seems like a well put together beer.

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

I was looking at reviews of this earlier today and decided to go for it. Not sure why earlier posts mention great hops in this one. Just not feeling that. Maybe my six pack is bad but this is similar to budweiser. Very disappointed! Yep, AAL taste all the way.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery